brain Flatulence; put gas in diesel tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:04 AM
scarsbeattats
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brain Flatulence; put gas in diesel tank

Well, almost. I was towing an 18' X 8' dual axle full of my daughter's life from NC to the big apple and I had to use the restroom. I pulled into the gas station, swiped the card, and inserted the "green" nozzle into the tank, said to her, "here fillerup", and double timed it to the rr.

I came back and she said; "Dad, this didn't look right so I didn't pump it." The green was one of three, BUT it was just 93 octane gasoline, wtf.

GREAT KID and smart as all get out!

I read on another forum that I frequent, about modern muskets, that another guy had done this and his friend, a mechanic, told him to add 2 qts of ATF and one of 30 weight in the tank and good to go.

Is there any validity to this?
Are there other recipes?

SEMPERPARATUS MOLON LABE & two is one; one is none

Old 03-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Happened to me during the rally in Sturgis. They were changing the pump to unleaded, but it still read Diesel. Anyway about thirty miles later starts running rough and pumping out white smoke. Called the mechanic from a friends house. Said drain the tank and the fuel bowl. Added two cans of Sea Foam and another lubricant and filled back up with Diesel. Was lucky, no issues...

Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 PM
264WSM
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
In the old military 6x6's you could run 3 gal gas with 1 gallon waste motor oil and it would run fine. I add a gallon of waste motor oil (when I have it) on every fill up with diesel.
If your truck is old this will work. If you have a newer one with a catalytic converter - your asking for problems.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently ran into this with a '00 Chevy. The owner put 4 gallons or so of gas into it, on top of the 2-3 of diesel already in there.
It /ran/, but clattered horribly and no power and she limped it home.
I told her to just fill it up with diesel, add a quart of ATF, and idle it till it gets the new mix in there.
I never saw it until after this process was done, but the truck smoothed out and worked just fine after that.
She ran that tank out doing light(not trailer hauling) just because, and it's still not had any issues 10K and a year down the road.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:00 PM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A retired mechanic told me 1 quart of atf per gallon of gasoline

When i get called for this issue i siphon out enough gas, pour said amount of atf, cycle the fuel pump until its red and good to go. Never had nothing but good results. Can be pricey but cheaper than a motor.

Its not just the loss of lubricity that makes diesels hate gas its the fact that gas is made to not explode until sparked. Octane is resistance to light and cetane is easability to light

I'v also heard horror stories of gas in biofuel mixes eating seals. Who knows

Old 08-08-2015, 11:15 AM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
Its not just the loss of lubricity that makes diesels hate gas its the fact that gas is made to not explode until sparked. Octane is resistance to light and cetane is easability to light
This... what?
Octane is a particular hydrocarbon molecule, C8H18.
Cetane is another molecule, C16H34.

These are used as 'references' for gasoline or diesel. That is, when "designing" a mixture of hydrocarbons to make a Gasoline or Diesel, you compare it's performance against pure octane or cetane.
These two references are for different things - With Gasoline, you are looking for something that will ignite with a spark, but not ignite under the heat of compression.
Diesel is just looking for something that will ignite under the heat of compression; the spark part doesn't matter.

However... Octane is /still/ a shorter molecule than Cetane. Even though it's not "supposed" to ignite under the heat of compression, it will at some point.
This is why Gasoline engines have to keep their compression ratios to a certain range(usually 8-10:1) - Any higher and it /would/ ignite too soon due to the heat.

In our diesels, we have a 21.5:1 compression ratio. You do the math.

The other thing to keep in mind is burning speed. The shorter the chain, the quicker it burns. So Octane will burn quite a bit faster than Cetane.
This is a problem in Diesel engines because the injection timing is set based on whatever diesel you are using. Fuels with a different cetane rating can change your engine timing by several degrees, and that's just in pump diesels.

Put gasoline in there, and(ignoring the lubrication issue), it will burn /really/ quickly. This will make a lot of clatter, and(with the timing set for diesel), not much power - It may be burning before the piston reaches TDC and "fighting itself".

Some diesel engines(old military ones especially), were designed such that you could mix up gasoline with enough lubrication(add 1qt of engine oil to a gallon of gas) and have a fuel that would /work/. I'm not sure whether they had something to adjust the timing, or just lived with the lack of power.

Originally Posted by DarkOverCast
I'v also heard horror stories of gas in biofuel mixes eating seals. Who knows
There are two things here:
1.Gasoline molecules are very light, short hydrocarbons. They work exceedingly well at cleaning, degreasing and hardening rubber seals not designed for it.
So not only will you get any crud in the system pulled into solution and get stuck in the filter, but (old) seals and rubber may get hard and crack, if they weren't a type that can handle the gasoline.

2. Ethanol. This is a /far/ bigger problem than Gasoline per-se. Cheap gas is mixed with about 10% ethanol, which has the /excellent/ property of pulling moisture out of the air. This moisture, now suspended in the ethanol/gasoline mixture, rusts and corrodes various surfaces. Ethanol is also hard on seals in a different manner; most older seals used in Gasoline applications weren't meant for Ethanol. So they will disintegrate over time.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-25-2021, 02:02 PM
sun tortoise
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAVE THE BABY SEALS!