6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Deleted 2015s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:02 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by troverman
I understand why some of you guys are deleting, but consider the price of the diesel engine (now about $8500) and keep in mind I bet 50% of that is for the very stuff you are chucking. To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay for something and then toss it or set it aside. It's kind of like ordering a meal with a lot of side dishes and then throwing away all the side dishes. I realize you cannot buy the diesel any other way, but for me, I'm going to live with it. My only complaint is the regen cycles; I don't mind the SCR at all.
I understand your hesitancy, but, (and this is my personal observation, other's may vary) everyone in my circle of friends that have had or are having issues with a 2011+ Powerstroke, nearly all their issues stem from the emission system. I understand the cost of engine replacement, but my thinking, flawed as it may well be, is keep running stock with the regeneration process taking it's toll on the engine, (my truck would make oil due to the regeneration process, diesel dilution can't be good) or delete it and get more life out of that $8,500 engine. I do have all the equipment to return to stock, but I highly doubt I ever will, truck runs so much better without being choked down with all that government mandated BS on it.
Not trying to sway anyone either way, I respect decisions on either side of the coin. I understand not deleting and I understand the thought process of deleting. We have great trucks either way.
BTW, I do throw out alot of sides!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:39 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I understand why some of you guys are deleting, but consider the price of the diesel engine (now about $8500) and keep in mind I bet 50% of that is for the very stuff you are chucking. To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to pay for something and then toss it or set it aside. It's kind of like ordering a meal with a lot of side dishes and then throwing away all the side dishes. I realize you cannot buy the diesel any other way, but for me, I'm going to live with it. My only complaint is the regen cycles; I don't mind the SCR at all.
Yeah but with a meal, you're talking about stuff you actually WANT to eat. We are talking about something we don't want on the truck to begin with. This isn't even a good comparison.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:25 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Yeah but with a meal, you're talking about stuff you actually WANT to eat. We are talking about something we don't want on the truck to begin with. This isn't even a good comparison.
I'm not against improving the environment. I just don't want to pay through the nose to fix issues related to it.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:36 AM
Rattler1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am rather skeptical as to how much the emissions stuff really helps vs a properly tuned engine without any emmissions equipment.

Back in the late 80's when I had to get my vehicles tested with the tailpipe probe, my '78 Chevy that had a 350 with only a pcv valve for emmissions equipment put out less noxious gas than each of my two cars that had air pumps, egr systems, and whatever else was standard for the time.

Seems like the main thing modern systems do is keep the regular guys from wrenching on their own stuff while making the dealers and manufacturers more $ with a somewhat captive clientele.

They certainly haven't done anything to significantly improve fuel economy.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 AM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Whether it helps or hurts isn't much of an issue here in VT. Try to take it off and you are grounded by the state. Can't delete and pass inspection and they do inspect.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rattler1
I am rather skeptical as to how much the emissions stuff really helps vs a properly tuned engine without any emmissions equipment.

Back in the late 80's when I had to get my vehicles tested with the tailpipe probe, my '78 Chevy that had a 350 with only a pvc valve for emmissions equipment put out less noxious gas than my two cars that had air pumps, egr systems, and whatever else was standard for the time.

Seems like the main thing modern systems do is keep the regular guys from wrenching on their own stuff while making the dealers and manufacturers more $ with a somewhat captive clientele.

They certainly haven't done anything to significantly improve fuel economy.
I think it is indisputable that the DPF certainly removes the soot from the exhaust. The soot creates smog and can cause respiratory issues as well as acid rain. I can't get over how clean the pipes are on this truck. A well tuned, pre-DPF diesel would still put out soot, especially when overfueled.

The NOx levels clearly also require the SCR / DEF system to be within limits. Certainly all those VW TDIs are "well tuned" but producing too much.

Emissions controls have improved drastically from the 1980's, as has testing procedures.

Here in NH, trucks over 10k GVW are emissions-exempt, safety inspections only. Deleting would not be a problem, but for now, I'm sticking with it.

I'm impressed with the level of engineering put into the EGR cooler; the SCR with a DEF injector, an atomizer, a mixer, heated tank and lines, and the matrix DPF filter.

I do miss the smell of burned diesel - all you get now is a weird "sweet bleach" kind of smell, especially at idle. The only time I can ever smell diesel fumes is when I start it on a 0-degree morning when the DEF is frozen.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:33 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm just glad I don't have to wash soot off my trailers anymore, and deal with soot corroding the aluminum parts on my trailers.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:21 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
In my case (I can't speak for others). My truck needs to be able to run High Sulphur diesel. Do that regularly with a truck that has a DPF, and you'll destroy the DPF.
Originally Posted by Rattler1
I used to be an engine calibrator.

The changes make a massive difference. For example, a light duty diesel pickup (under 10k GVWR) sold now can only put out 10% of the NOx that your 7.3l does. There is no way you could get to that with "good tuning". It requires a combination of SCR, Cat converter, EGR and a DPF - none of which your truck would have come with - along with good tuning to operate all of that. In general, I think the movement to improved emissions is a good thing - in cities the air quality can be very poor, but in some instances (like mine), running the emissions equipment just plain doesn't work.

If the truck was going to be used as a fire truck, or just to pull hay wagons, it would be a liability having an exhaust that gets super hot from the DPF that it could burn you down - but for most users having the emissions stuff is good.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:17 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Adrian - Why hasn't Australia gone to just ULSD?

Old 01-17-2016, 11:22 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
It has. My F250 has been elsewhere as well though (Mexico etc.)

Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BigF350
If the truck was going to be used as a fire truck, or just to pull hay wagons, it would be a liability having an exhaust that gets super hot from the DPF that it could burn you down - but for most users having the emissions stuff is good.
Here in the States our fire trucks still have to use SCR and DPF, even an off-road fire truck like an F-550 with a skid or even a pumper. Only just recently is the EPA allowing a regen lockout during pumping operations, but stationary regens will have to be performed instead.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:14 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Yeah, that I know of, but the vehicle being a fire truck would/should be a good reason to delete it. Even if the EPA won't allow it :/

Old 01-18-2016, 03:57 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
Yeah, that I know of, but the vehicle being a fire truck would/should be a good reason to delete it. Even if the EPA won't allow it :/
My very first thought on this, Why aren't EMT/FIRE vehicles identical to MilSpec? Seems to me that would make sense....my own experience is that military engines run on a variety of fuels and don't have emissions compliance.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Jetto
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dissappointed

I am sure this will get some people going on here as I hope it does. I special ordered my truck from ford though my dealership. Drove my truck 1611 miles and averaged 15.3 mpg. I deleted it- egr/dpf delete. 4 inch flopro ss exhaust from the turbo back and dueled. looks good! s&b intake, mishimoto on the hot and cold side of the turbo (factory boots are known to blow) tuned with a popular tuner- ill touch more on that later.

I would like to bring up and example, that putting on an 80 hp tune that your truck isn't just at 520 hp. (440 stock at the flywheel plus the 80 hp tune) When taking off the dpf (major choke point) and putting on a free flowing exhaust system you gain hp. Removing the stock intake (another choke point on the intake) and putting on a free flowing reputable intake sytem you gain hp. Removing the egr cooler (yet another choke point) you gain hp. In my case putting on the mishimoto on the turbo intake and exhaust side, I'm running cooler fresh air intake and yes cold air equals more hp. all of those combined, you technically start getting percentage gains- on top of your tuners hp gains.

My truck is calibrated to pure perfection. As soon as I left the diesel shop I made sure my truck was full of fuel, I went 740 miles on 35 gallons, and that is with me playing around a little. That's a HUGE gain in fuel economy. And keep in mind only 2351 miles on my truck at this point. The next tank I hauled sand, gravel, wood, and furniture in my truck and one time pulled a 9500lb trailer. still went 590 miles on 35 gallons. Really, who wouldn't want that? a full size diesel truck getting over 21 mpg and over 16 when its working??? even you so called environmentally friendly folks who just have to have a diesel pickup are in awe!!

What is chapping me though are all you guys advertising what tuner you got and who you got it from. Read back in this thread when it was brought up about the "Utah Companies" (edge) and them getting busted. Listen people...They got busted because everyone was talking about it! If you all keep advertsing on here who your getting your tuner from, they too will get busted and wont be able to sell them. I soley encourage people to go in to their local favorite diesel shop and talk with them in person, as most wont talk about deleting or tuning for anti-emission reasons over the phone anyhow.

The other thing that chaps me is all these guys saying that doing and egr and/or dpf delete will harm the motor. C'mon now.... be real here. Pretty sure diesel and gas alike have been emission free for many many years.and those engines ran for many miles. Deleting a part off of your exhaust does no harm to your engine mechanically. Taking off and exhaust gas recirculator (egr) will do no harm to your engine mechanically. The tree huggers think deleting this stuff does harm to the environment, well let me tell you this- as I said earlier, my truck is calibrated to pure perfection. I do not roll coal, when I mash the throttle you barely see a puff.

Though my truck is emissions testing exempt, I went to my local state accredited emissions testing facility and convinced them ($$$$) to test my truck. guess what people???? Less than 99% ppm of all particulates put back into the air. After doing the reseach of a completely stock 6.7- less than 99% ppm of all particulates put back into the air. Yes I have the printout and all who know me have seen it as I have been proving my point.
And here is the good part..... My truck was dynoed at 612 hp!!!!!!!!

This 6.7 is bullet proof. Ford has finally made an excellent, excellent product for the ages. (Heck yes to the 7.3!!)

Old 04-20-2016, 12:44 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as the online shop's, as far as they know you are purchasing for "OFFROAD US ONLY".......they all have a disclaimer you basically electronically sign. Fact is, I know of a couple of diesel shops that deliver the "deleted" truck to a different location if they perform the work (you didn't drive it off their property). I've never named any diesel shop in a public forum that doesn't already advertise over the internet. The government doesn't have to spy on us to find online shops that sell parts / tuners to delete your truck.
I agree with not mentioning local shops that perform deletes, but you can go to any online diesel performance retailer and it's all there on their website.

Congrats on the truck.....I know I miss mine!

Quick Reply: Deleted 2015s?