6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Marvel Mystery Oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:04 AM
big-head
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil

My dad was a huge believer in this stuff. Do any of you use it. I only use it in my Atv and lawn mower as a fuel additive every now and then. I add about 1oz for every two gallons of gas. Jug says 4oz per ten gallons. And it's says you can ad as much as 25% in your oil ......
Just curious about this , I know the ole timers loved this

I wonder if every so many oil changes u first drain 25% of ur old oil out just b4 a oil change and add in 25% run for a few hundred miles or so then drain and change oil as normal. Bet this would help in cleaning everything inside the engine such as the Striction , spool valves which Im have trouble with at the moment ... Just thinking out loud , what y'all think ???

Old 03-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I would not use it for a with a HEUI injector for any reason.

If it dose kick crud looks it will them pass through the HPOP system
and some people have more than enough problems with it as it is.
Then there is the problem of not being able to get it out of the system.
There about 3 quarts of retained oil that you can't get pout with a simple
oil change. But that is just me.

Sean

Old 03-11-2015, 09:32 AM
big-head
Senior User
Lol you know Sean , I did think of where all the "crud" would go and or if it would just break it down and lube everything kinda like the HSS would do. Once again thanks.
The HSS just lubes everything and cleans varnish etc unlike the Mystery oil would do ,,, correct ?

Old 03-11-2015, 09:59 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
The NTSB determined it contains 74% mineral oil, 25% Stoddard solvent and 1% lard.
NYC02LA181: Full Narrative

I show that to my customers that swear by it in their airplanes. It's the original snake oil.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
If you take the time to read the NTSB report, the fellow was running a ratio of something like 36-1. I'm not sure what the point is here, other than the guy's an idiot, it has absolutely nothing to do with MMO per se. Recip guys used to buy MMO by the 55 gallon drum, but they mixed it (presumably) at the proper ratio. It's good stuff for freeing stuck rings and lifters in gasoline automotive engines and a reasonable penetrating oil.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
The only point is, it's 74% mineral oil and 24% paint thinner, if you feel that helps your engine, go for it. And yes I have read the report, it's been out over 10 years.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM
STA-BIL®
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by big-head
My dad was a huge believer in this stuff. Do any of you use it. I only use it in my Atv and lawn mower as a fuel additive every now and then. I add about 1oz for every two gallons of gas. Jug says 4oz per ten gallons. And it's says you can ad as much as 25% in your oil ......

I wonder if every so many oil changes u first drain 25% of ur old oil out just b4 a oil change and add in 25% run for a few hundred miles or so then drain and change oil as normal. Bet this would help in cleaning everything inside the engine such as the Striction , spool valves which Im have trouble with at the moment ... Just thinking out loud , what y'all think ???
Hi big-head,

May I ask what specific purpose(s) you use that product for when used as a fuel additive? We may be able to provide some additional benefit depending on your particular application. We would also be happy to get a few samples of our items out to you if you would be interested.

Please let me know if you have any questions/comments.

Have a great day!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
There are MANY better fuel and oil additives out there that were either specifically designed with these trucks in mind or designed around the quality of Diesel Fuel.

Marvel Mystery oil is not one of them, nor is Seafoam.

Oil side:

Hot Shot Secret Stiction Eliminator
Archoil AR9100

Fuel Side:

Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme
Stanadyne Performance Formula
Sta-bil Diesel Power Additives
Power Service Diesel Kleen

I've run these additives and know they work as advertised.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:30 PM
big-head
Senior User
Originally Posted by STA-BIL®
Hi big-head,

May I ask what specific purpose(s) you use that product for when used as a fuel additive? We may be able to provide some additional benefit depending on your particular application. We would also be happy to get a few samples of our items out to you if you would be interested.

Please let me know if you have any questions/comments.

Have a great day!
I'm waiting on a sample now from you. Think y'all Re sending me the Diesel Power sample. I currently havering Striction troubles , but I think I caused it by adding some Lucas oil stabilizer to my oil the last two oil changes. I will use HSS when I get back home in two weeks and change my oil and add it. the mystery oil. Lol. Really don't know just know my dad always did it in gasoline engines to "lube" the carb etc so I continue to do it when ever I think about it in my atv and mover on the fuel side every so many tanks or so along with some stabil in the gas. I'm a big believer in that stuff in mowers - chainsaw - atv because they sit up for long times. .

Old 03-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may be a moot point, depending on how you use your truck, but MMO has red dye in it, and that could be a big headache you don't want.

One time, I saw a bunch of Secretary of state police show up at a sale barn, (This was in Illinois) and start "dipping" fuel tanks. You get caught with "red" fuel in your tank, you'd better be able to talk really fast.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM
big-head
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jeff Watts
This may be a moot point, depending on how you use your truck, but MMO has red dye in it, and that could be a big headache you don't want.

One time, I saw a bunch of Secretary of state police show up at a sale barn, (This was in Illinois) and start "dipping" fuel tanks. You get caught with "red" fuel in your tank, you'd better be able to talk really fast.
Very true. But that idea got shot down anyway. Lol.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
"Ole Timers" have done VERY STUPID things for many years and got away with it!!.........It still doesn't make it right........

Bet this would help in cleaning everything inside the engine such as the Striction , spool valves which Im have trouble with at the moment
Another old wives tale!! AND probably one of the MOST dangerous things you could do to ANY engine! Especially any engine that *could* have sludge from infrequent oil changes.

Putting ANY solvent in the oil risks breaking loose sludge that could be on the wrong side of the filter (like on the way to a bearing). That could starve that bearing and cause a seizure.

Pretty unlikely in most diesels since the oil is (usually) changed regularly.

If you want to "clean' the inside of the engine, just change the oil regularly!!

And yes, MMO is 25% Stoddard solvent, 74% mineral oil and 1% lard. Please forgive me, but using the stuff in fuel or oil is not smart.

Running the stuff in fuel just increases the chances for plug fouling and detonation in a gasoline engine, and injector, injection pump, and HPFP damage in diesels.

MMO is great for starting a burn pile though!! But that's all I would use it for!

Regards,

Rick

Old 03-12-2015, 02:00 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
What is the source for the assertion there is lard? That sounds like BS to me. The MSDS doesn't list that afaik.

Used as intended it does work for stuck rings, lifters, ticks etc in gasoline engines. Why does everyone gets all butthurt over that?

Old 03-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Did you read the link above? NYC02LA181: Full Narrative The NTSB dropped a dime on the ingredients of the MMO. I wouldn't call it "butt hurt" so much as a minor annoyance of going over the facts, again, knowing it will likely lead to a disagreement from someone who knows someone that has used it for years with great results. you can certainly reject our reality and substitute your own if you like. My father in law insists rubbing his bad knees with WD40 make them feel better. Maybe so but maybe something else would work better.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I do know from exp. back on the 60's and 70's motors that if you had a sticking lifter mmo in the cc would free it up. In todays modern engines I'd be leary about using it. Esp. in a diesel.

Quick Reply: Marvel Mystery Oil