Sponsored by: DP Tuner

truck dies when ICP unplugged?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:50 AM
keiseldiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck dies when ICP unplugged?

Hey everyone. I was seeing if my icp sensor was bad or not. I went to unplug my icp sensor while it was running to see if the idle smoothed out, and the truck died. I plugged the icp back in and it started right back up. Just wondering what this means? The truck is a early 99 f250 with a 150k on it.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is that ICP drops too low with the sensor unplugged, possibly due to a leak in the hydraulic system. You'd need to know what the actual pressure and IPR duty cycle is to confirm that or rule it out. Do you have access to a scan tool that will read live data?

Old 03-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm with our cartoon friend here, it sounds like an internal oil leak or a bad IPR. Injector O-rings step forward in the suspect lineup.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:06 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikachu
My guess is that ICP drops too low with the sensor unplugged, possibly due to a leak in the hydraulic system. You'd need to know what the actual pressure and IPR duty cycle is to confirm that or rule it out. Do you have access to a scan tool that will read live data?
Just curious here. What should happen when you unplug your ICP, in regards to a PID reading on Torque or AE? Would the ICP value indicate the default (725psi IIRC)? My truck continues to idle without it, but my Torque ICP readings still show what appears to be normal values. And what does the IPR then do, or what is it told to do?

Old 03-10-2015, 07:11 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why unplug it while it's running?

If you're suspecting problems, unplug it and THEN start the truck to see how it runs.

Unplugging while running is not the correct diagnostic approach because it is not a rare occurrence at all that the engine will stall, even if nothing is wrong with the sensor or the HPO system.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
Just curious here. What should happen when you unplug your ICP, in regards to a PID reading on Torque or AE? Would the ICP value indicate the default (725psi IIRC)? My truck continues to idle without it, but my Torque ICP readings still show what appears to be normal values. And what does the IPR then do, or what is it told to do?
ICP will read 2200 PSI while cranking and 700 PSI while idling. The IPR will go to a level it expects to work in each situation - about 30% while cranking and 14% while idling.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:42 AM
keiseldiesel
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tugly
ICP will read 2200 PSI while cranking and 700 PSI while idling. The IPR will go to a level it expects to work in each situation - about 30% while cranking and 14% while idling.
Does the early model hpop make less pressure? because if i remember right mine was at about 500 while idling.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by keiseldiesel
Does the early model hpop make less pressure? because if i remember right mine was at about 500 while idling.
500 PSI when idling is with the ICP plugged in and working correctly, unplugged it will idle at ~750 PSI based on IPR.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:53 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
This is good info, thanks fellas.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:47 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
The recent history on my truck is a new T500, new injector o-rings, new stock turbo, new RR bellowed up-pipes, and I'm currently working on a low fuel pressure problem, ~40psi max. I just received the FPR rebuild kit, but haven't gotten to that yet.

The truck had been running until last Tuesday, when I went out of town and it sat all weekend until last night when it first quit. Thought it was CPS, but it seems to have been a fried battery cable, but now I have this.

Mostly, very low ICP, about 230psi max while cranking, IPR goes to 60-65%, and FIPW seems to jump around a lot. If I pull the ICP plug, my pressure does hit the 2200 range, but still no effect on starting.

If I let it sit awhile, it does restart, but ICP remains very low while IPR starts climbing.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Restarts.pdf (108.8 KB, 320 views)
File Type: pdf
Running.pdf (104.6 KB, 147 views)
Old 03-10-2015, 12:06 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Got her started again, trying to move her into the garage, instead of outside in the rain... anyway, about two minutes of run time, but again no ICP, and then no restart.
Name:  Short Run.png
Views: 11105
Size:  67.8 KB

But at least I finally figured out how to get inline pics in here.

Again, except for low fuel pressure, it seemed to run okay last week, and even for the 5 minutes last night down the road to the dumpster... then it just wouldn't restart. Since the HPOP is new, as are the injector o-rings, I'm guessing the IPR? I had one no start several weeks before I replaced the turbo, due to low ICP while cranking, and that's why I went for the T500. That and it was just staring me in the face during the turbo pull, daring me to replace it.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Given the work that's been done, including replacing the HPOP and injector o-rings, I'd have to say the next most likely cause is the IPR.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:15 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Can the tin nut be too tight? It's not moving, the solenoid isn't loose (had that once long ago, where the solenoid could wiggle around on the thingy that goes into the HPOP), but if the nut isn't distorted, can it be too tight? Can I pray that I was overzealous in putting the thing back on the HPOP?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
It will strip if you get it too tight.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
No, I didn't strip it. I installed it while the HPOP was on the bench, which meant I was able to get right at it. Just wondering if it could affect the workings of the solenoid. I don't see how, but there are lots of things I don't see. Just ask my wife. :-)

Quick Reply: truck dies when ICP unplugged?