Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 F350 4WD 5.4 swap_speedometer issue ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 AM
Gettysburg150
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F350 SRW
Read more bud.

You still didnt say WHY you need over 300hp. If its just for bragging rights then I hope you have some deep pockets.

--------------------

Brother, you asked me about why I'm wanting over 300 hp, yes because I want to feel my truck lighter weight when take-off "launch" and I need to improve 0-60, that means I don't want any Corollas or Versas or Camrys to beat me !! I have a good budget, I can spend from $6000 to $8000 on these mods below, actually with no problems;

- Powerful Turbocharger
- Performance heads "if available for 7.3 IDI"
- Cold air intake (help me to choose the best brand for diesel engines)
- Performance camshaft kit "if available for 7.3 IDI"
- Bigger valves (intake/exhaust)
- Full exhaust system (Long tube headers & custom large dual stainless exhaust)
- Clutch & torque converter
- Performance pump (Air/Oil/Vaccum - if one or all together needed)
- Pistons and connecting rods "if available for 7.3 IDI"
- Any other parts you'd like to recommend ???

Originally Posted by redrivergorge
It doesn't look like you've read at all. If your not interested in learning and your budget is that high just take it to a shop and tell them to make it faster.

^He's right you know

You came to probably the most knowlegeable Ford site on the net and we're offering help, but you're still not taking it.

Your best bet is to contact RacinNDrummin (like I had already suggested) and tell him what you want to do.

This is his website with some of the stuff he does:
R&D IDI Performance

But if you want to keep asking the same questions or not taking any intiative to do some of your own leg work and still have a "faster than everyone else truck", well....

Trying to point you in the right direction dude

Old 02-26-2015, 09:49 AM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300hp with an IDI is going to take a lot of work. Mid 200's is doable and will give you a nice driving truck.

Now, if you want bragging rights, then look at doing a 12v cummings swap or 460 swap. The Cummings is a great swap but I think you're going to be a little short with a budget of 6-8k.

That leaves the 460. Look for a whole truck and don't discount selling your IDI and paying more for a cleaner 460 truck. The EFI heads and intake are a package deal and most if not all aftermarket heads are carb heads. However, that doesn't mean you need to switch to a carb as you can modify a carb intake with port injectors, use an edelbrock throttle body to carb elbow adapter and an 80-90mm mustang throttle body. The 80mm is equivalent to stock.

The stock fuel pumps and injectors are good up to 300-330-ish hp. a 255lp pump will drop in and I'm sure you can adjust for larger injectors. If you're going to run a 5spd I'd say use a mustang A9L computer, but if you want to run an E4OD then you'll need a truck mass air flow computer.

If you want to use the stock heads then you want to spend your time, effort and money on the exhaust side. With head work, a mild cam, some FP tweaking you can get 300hp easy and 325-350 with a touch more work. All with the stock SD computer. A MAF conversion makes it even easier and 350 is simple even with stock heads. With aftermarket heads 350-400 is easy and streetable and if you want to get a little wild 500 isn't a big deal with a 460.

The cummings can do that too, all day long and get you double the mileage. It'll cost a bit more and be more involved and only you can say if it's worth it to you. You'll probably never save the money back in fuel savings though.

Nobody here is going to give you a step by step guide for making a 350hp truck. That information is already out there for any of these builds, IDI, 460, cummings, etc. Do your homework and learn. Once you have a plan then come back and we'll help you make sure you're not missing anything and we'll help with the little details. I'm sure there are a few here that, for a fee, will take your truck and hand you back whatever you desire if you choose that you don't want to do any research.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:34 PM
F350 SRW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You came to probably the most knowlegeable Ford site on the net and we're offering help, but you're still not taking it.

Your best bet is to contact RacinNDrummin (like I had already suggested) and tell him what you want to do.

This is his website with some of the stuff he does:
R&D IDI Performance

But if you want to keep asking the same questions or not taking any intiative to do some of your own leg work and still have a "faster than everyone else truck", well....

Trying to point you in the right direction dude

-------------------------------------------- <!-- / message -->
<!-- sig -->
Nobody here is going to give you a step by step guide for making a 350hp truck. That information is already out there for any of these builds, IDI, 460, cummings, etc. Do your homework and learn. Once you have a plan then come back and we'll help you make sure you're not missing anything and we'll help with the little details. I'm sure there are a few here that, for a fee, will take your truck and hand you back whatever you desire if you choose that you don't want to do any research.

---------------------------------------------

Dear Ford truckers, after several discussions with my brother at home during the last 3 days, I decided to stick on my 7.3 IDI + Banks turbo kit = 260 hp ..

"Let your goal to reach 260 hp/503 lbs.ft torque firstly, then after a year think of moving up to 300 hp, and then don't think to gain more, it's enough for your diesel engine, because after gaining 40 hp over the turbocharged 260 hp, you'll gain a massive torque reaching more than 580 lbs.ft torque".. my brother said #

Now after those discussions, I decided only to install a Banks turbo kit with 260 hp/503 lbs.ft , and I'll see how will it perform.. I think it will perform very well with Banks turbocharger kit.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:30 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350 SRW

Dear Ford truckers, after several discussions with my brother at home during the last 3 days, I decided to stick on my 7.3 IDI + Banks turbo kit = 260 hp ..

"Let your goal to reach 260 hp/503 lbs.ft torque firstly, then after a year think of moving up to 300 hp, and then don't think to gain more, it's enough for your diesel engine, because after gaining 40 hp over the turbocharged 260 hp, you'll gain a massive torque reaching more than 580 lbs.ft torque".. my brother said #

Now after those discussions, I decided only to install a Banks turbo kit with 260 hp/503 lbs.ft , and I'll see how will it perform.. I think it will perform very well with Banks turbocharger kit.
Sounds like the way to go and who cares if its still a little slow. With all that torque you can throw them little cars around a parking lot on a chain like a rag doll. With em in park and the e-brake on.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:12 AM
F350 SRW
New User
Sounds like the way to go and who cares if its still a little slow. With all that torque you can throw them little cars around a parking lot on a chain like a rag doll. With em in park and the e-brake on.

-----------

I did not understand what you said, did you mean that I'm now on the correct way when I said that I will stick on the Banks Sidewinder turbo kit 260 hp/503 lbs.ft ???

Any recommendations ?? I'm here to listen to you to help me ..

Old 03-01-2015, 05:29 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
The turbo is the way to go. Its not going to turn your truck into a speed demon though. Who cares its a truck its got torque thats what trucks are for. If you want speed buy a sports car.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:46 AM
F350 SRW
New User
The turbo is the way to go. Its not going to turn your truck into a speed demon though. Who cares its a truck its got torque thats what trucks are for. If you want speed buy a sports car.

---------------------

mr. Redrivergorge, the turbo kit "Banks Sidewinder" with it's added torque "143 lbs.ft" , will it help a lot when climbing dune hills in deserts ??? Comparing to stock 7.3 IDI torque (365 lbs.ft) ??

I mean after reaching to (503 lbs.ft) will it beat dunes so easily ?? from stock 365 lbs.ft TO turbocharged 503 lbs.ft ...

I like climbing hills and dunes when going off-roading !! (-: Some times I do towing/hauling weekly..

Sorry for lots of questions... Hahaha :-)

Old 03-02-2015, 10:33 PM
F350 SRW
New User
-

Seems mr. Redrivergorge is busy these days..

Is there someone to reply to my above quoted reply (which was quoted to be replied from mr. Redrivergorge) ???

Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
I put a Hypermax turbo on a stock IDI. It made a big difference climbing the hills.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 AM
F350 SRW
New User
Engine rebuild kit ??

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I put a Hypermax turbo on a stock IDI. It made a big difference climbing the hills.
----------------------------------------

Aha, so that's it haa, Good to hear that from you mr. Mark Kovalsky..
Thanks for saying that, now I'm trusting the Sidewinder turbo kit

But, do I need to install a new engine rebuild kit with all gaskets and piston rings ??

I want to do that to refresh the engine before installing a turbocharger kit, to avoid any future engine failures caused by a forced induction turbocharger.

So, mr. Kovalsky and all others, will you vote for rebuilding the engine before installing the a turbo kit ?? Or I keep it as it is ?? Rebuilding cost isn't a problem to me..

* NOTE; The truck is still stopped in the garage for more than one year, I did not drive it at all, I think some parts became worn out because of long time stopped.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 AM
F350 SRW
New User
If anyone have any knowledge or info, then kindly reply to this post above..

Old 03-04-2015, 07:39 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
In all likelihood your engine is fine. It's not a bad idea, however, to add head studs. Your head gaskets are the only real suspect for failure, plenty of people just add studs one at a time and leave old head gaskets in tact, but I always take the opportunity to take the heads off and do a full port of intake, heads, and exhaust manifolds when I stud an engine. Also, head gaskets fail over time anyway for a myriad of reasons, so fresh gaskets now can avoid headaches down the road.

Removing the heads also allows you to check the valves/seats for wear and distortion . With 200+k miles on the clock it's probably time for a valve job. Having heads off also allows you to remove old glow plugs with ease.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:08 AM
F350 SRW
New User
In all likelihood your engine is fine. It's not a bad idea, however, to add head studs. Your head gaskets are the only real suspect for failure, plenty of people just add studs one at a time and leave old head gaskets in tact, but I always take the opportunity to take the heads off and do a full port of intake, heads, and exhaust manifolds when I stud an engine. Also, head gaskets fail over time anyway for a myriad of reasons, so fresh gaskets now can avoid headaches down the road.

Removing the heads also allows you to check the valves/seats for wear and distortion . With 200+k miles on the clock it's probably time for a valve job. Having heads off also allows you to remove old glow plugs with ease. __________________

Sir, I appreciate what u have said. Yes I want to rebuild the engine with;

- all gaskets
- all seals
- 8 glue plugs + controller
- oil pump, injection pump, vacuum pump
- 8 injectors
- porting "intake manifold & head"
- head studs
- 16 valves
- powerful alternator "Powermaster 200 or 225 amp"
- powerful starter "Mean Green", will give a great gear reduction "perfect for climbing hills & sandy dunes"

* NOTE: I don't want to install a turbo kit before installing all above parts.

After all that, I believe that the engine will be fully refreshed after all those parts replaced, it will be as new, as it was in its early years.

But, you mentioned head studs.. There is a head studs kit from ARP company.

Now, how will be the difference after installing the ARP head studs ??

Will it gain a good HP/TQ ??

Please explain the difference after putting ARP head studs, how will it be ?!

Thanks,
F350 SRW

Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Head studs won't do anything except help keep your head gaskets alive. The turbo wreaks havoc on head gaskets, so they're cheap insurance. Studs are superior to bolts in more ways than one.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:20 AM
F350 SRW
New User
Head studs won't do anything except help keep your head gaskets alive. The turbo wreaks havoc on head gaskets, so they're cheap insurance. Studs are superior to bolts in more ways than one. __________________

That's fine sir,

Would you like to recommend anything else that should be installed ?!

u can inform me with anything missed or not mentioned above and need to be replaced..

Thanks,
F350 SRW