1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Blown Head Gasket. (01 Ford V10)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 PM
JoshuaHancock804
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible Blown Head Gasket. (01 Ford V10)

Back Story:
Ok so in my infinite wisdom I let myself get distracted when I was looking at an 01 F250 V10 Crew Cab. Well I picked it up for $1,700. Not bad I thought, it needed all new breaks/rotor & 2 calipers. And new carpet and seats, then I would have a good hunting rig.

So I went and looked at the truck in the dark (first mistake). The guy was very honest with me and told me about all the body and interior issues. Even informed me of the caliper that he disconnected because he could not afford to fix it. He informed me that it did burn a little oil and it’s been a while since he checked the oil. Well at that point I was going to look under the oil cap to check for any milky residue. Well I got distracted (Second Mistake).

So here we are 2 weeks after getting bringing the truck home. I already replaced the carpet and seats, breaks & rotor & 2 calipers. So I am into this truck at this point by $2,400. Still not bad for a hunting rig. Or so I thought. Well today I decided to go get some new oil and a filter, and do a quick oil change since who knows when it was done last.
Issue:
While draining the Oil it seemed like there was an abnormally large amount of oil in this engine. (See photo of bucket full of oil from this rig.) Well didn’t think much of it and swapped the filter. And went to add new oil to the engine and found that under the cap was some milky substance.
I forgot to take a photo of the cap before I cleaned it off so I rubbed my finger inside the fill tube so you can get an idea of the milky fluid.
*Oh and the V10 has 420K original miles. I have heard that is no big for the V10 but thought it would be good to note this detail.
Questions I have:
Should I get some kind of test kit to confirm it’s a blown head gasket?
If so what kind of Kit should I look for?
Do you think this truck is worth replacing the head gasket?
Any chance this may just be a known issue for the V10 and I just need to replace some kind of valve?
I could not find any you tube videos of a head gasket replacement on a V10 any thoughts where I should look?
My Skills:
Just to be clear I don’t know anything about the V10 motor. I have a 94 f-250 but have never had to dive in to a head gasket replacement before. I have done a head gasket replacement on smaller engines (IE: car and a jeep) but those were obvious that they had a bad head gasket.

Photo’s: will be added soon.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 PM
JoshuaHancock804
Junior User

It looks like oil no obivious signs of water that i can tell.....

Looks like a lot more than 6QT of OIL to me.

Down the fill neck

From the sidewall on the fill neck

looks like it has needed a valve cover gasket replacement for a long time.

Over all does not look like a bad truck.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
That looks like about two and a half gallons of oil.

How does it run after the new oil ?

That milky substance doesn't neccesarily mean a blown head gasket. That can just mean condensation from short trips in cold conditions that doesn't get a chance to burn off. I make a ton of short trips in my 08' 5.4 and get that same thing in the winter

Matt

Old 02-17-2015, 07:29 PM
JoshuaHancock804
Junior User
I have not added the oil back to the rig yet. after seeing the milky oil i stoped and posted on this site for advice.

The previous owner used it as a farm truck to get hay, and that kind of stuff max of 40 miles.

I will go re add the oil in a bit and let you know how it runs.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mattymax
That looks like about two and a half gallons of oil.

That milky substance doesn't neccesarily mean a blown head gasket. That can just mean condensation from short trips in cold conditions that doesn't get a chance to burn off. I make a ton of short trips in my 08' 5.4 and get that same thing in the winter

Matt

Agree 100% on the above, I would refill it with the right amount of oil and run it. My truck has the exact same milky fluid on the cap especially in the winter...

Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 PM
JoshuaHancock804
Junior User
Ok I filled the engine with the correct amount of oil and the truck started and ran fine, just like it has since i got the truck.

So it's something I should not worry about too much?

Do you think it would be a good idea to get a block test kit just to be on the safe side? I found this one a napa:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...006_0388673369

Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Drive it. It will show other symptoms if the head gasket is going or gone (rough idle, coolant disappearing).

I would be more conserned with the amount of oil that was in the engine. Put a good quality synthetic in there and change it the first few times at short intervals.

Matt

Old 02-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Cardinal Puller
Senior User
420,000 miles! My 01 has a little milk on the bottom of the cap too. I don't see it as a problem.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:06 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
If its not mixing and from the bucket of oil picture it doesnt appear to be. I wouldnt worry to much about it.

How is the coolant and Temps?

Welcome to FTE.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:13 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
You cannot always see water/coolant in the oil. Here is a very simple and reliable trick and old mechanic showed me once to detect water or coolant in oil.

With the engine hot, take a screwdriver and dip the tip in the old oil (or use dipstick if oil is still in the engine). Now, take that tip and touch it to the exhaust manifold. That will deposit a small amount of oil on the manifold.

The oil will smoke, which is normal, but if it smokes AND YOU HEAR A SIZZLE like bacon frying, then you have water/coolant in the oil.

Water/coolant in the oil doesn't always mean a blown head gasket, it just means you need to investigate further. Because that engine had that much oil in it, I bet it leaked, smoked, belched vapors and generally ran poorly. I'd just drive it with the correct amount of oil and keep an eye on things.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:39 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
After running the truck, and lettting it sit over night....back out the oil drain plug very slowly....when you get to about 1 thread left...if there is any water in the engine..it will start to draing as the water settles to the bottom. if you get water...you have a head gasket leak.

an expensive repair in the north east.

stuff like blue devil works if you follow the instructions exactly.