6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Delete Questions/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delete Questions/Advice

I have everything on order, Exhaust (Flo-Pro), Intake (No Limit Stage2), EGR/Cooler delete (Rudy's Diesel) and SCT X4. I have started reading a few companies instructions for the EGR/cooler delete. They all say to drain about 5 gal (total) of coolant. Did you guys just drain it into clean buckets and reuse, or get new coolant? I did a search on Google, and it seems there are different coolants that may be compatible for us. Anyone know if we can get the Motorcraft coolant we need at O'Reilly or Napa? Those specifically because that is all we have where I live. Not really looking for the other brands yet, just the Motorcraft coolant.

After reading some stories, anything special I should do to help prevent breaking off the exhaust manifold bolts? I will give them a good spray of penetrating oil the night before I do the EGR. I only have about 19K miles on my '11, so I hope the lower miles will benefit me.

I currently have an Edge CTS for monitoring. Will I be able to reuse an EGT probe from the exhaust and plug into my EGR and have my Edge get me a reading?

Looking forward to your guys knowledge.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:16 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I broke a bolt. It sucks. If I were doing it again, I would back them off the night before till they got tight then spray them and let it set. Then the next day I would use heat on them. Lower miles will help. I reused my coolant. It was very clean. To help the removal of the back nut and harness clip on the cooler, remove the fender liner and tire on the passenger side. It's a big help. Also, remove the grill and passenger headlight to get to the coolant line up front. No help with the sensor though. I know the X4 won't show it.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Make sure the truck is stone cold, parked over night when removing the egr bolts, my truck and another I helped with, the bolts came right out, no issues. Seems there is greater chance of the bolts breaking if the truck is warm, has been ran that day.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:31 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,080 Likes on 2,220 Posts
x3. I broke a bolt...it sucked. Had to pull the intake.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
i didn't break a bolt with 50k on the truck but i did give it a healthy dose of anti seize when i put the block off plate on incase i need to take it off for any reason. i didn't drain the coolant at all.. just pulled it off and had my brother throw the block off plate on quickly. there will be a gush of coolant doing it that way. if the engine is dirty around the egr then you will run the risk of contamination in the coolant system. not saying I'm right or wrong just saying thats what i did and have no issues

Old 02-11-2015, 09:46 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
That's for the tips. From everything I've read, that rear bolt it everyone's headace. It's good to know those things going into it, at least I think so. Hate hearing how many people broke the bolts off. Hoping the lower miles may benefit me. Hey Blapensee, how much coolant did you lose. I was wondering if it was worth a shot to try and skip that step. I know I didn't drain my dodge when I did it a few years ago, just had coolant on the ground. Where does most of it gush out from? I guess if a little spills, maybe it'll keep a few of the coyotes away. I plan on cleaning the engine before and after the delete.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Blapensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by AzBlueOval
That's for the tips. From everything I've read, that rear bolt it everyone's headace. It's good to know those things going into it, at least I think so. Hate hearing how many people broke the bolts off. Hoping the lower miles may benefit me. Hey Blapensee, how much coolant did you lose. I was wondering if it was worth a shot to try and skip that step. I know I didn't drain my dodge when I did it a few years ago, just had coolant on the ground. Where does most of it gush out from? I guess if a little spills, maybe it'll keep a few of the coyotes away. I plan on cleaning the engine before and after the delete.
i don't really know how much maybe a quart or two, i would grab a gallon at the dealer or wherever you get it from. the gush was from the the coolant sitting in the egr. it didn't keep coming out I've taken the block off plate for the egr off to swap it for an aluminum one (the first was steel) and just a little bit came out since the plate in on a slight angle. as long as your engine is completely cool you shouldn't have an issue. i did mine in the morning after letting it sit for 8 hours and i was fine.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:40 PM
AzBlueOval
Senior User
Originally Posted by Blapensee
i don't really know how much maybe a quart or two, i would grab a gallon at the dealer or wherever you get it from. the gush was from the the coolant sitting in the egr. it didn't keep coming out I've taken the block off plate for the egr off to swap it for an aluminum one (the first was steel) and just a little bit came out since the plate in on a slight angle. as long as your engine is completely cool you shouldn't have an issue. i did mine in the morning after letting it sit for 8 hours and i was fine.
I might just try it then. Since I'm in southern Az, a little cold coolant might feel good if we are pushing 80° or more.