1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Beating a dead horse...sorry

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
I would agree if you prefer a front end with always-changing camber.
I prefer not to do something just because some moron on TV did it and all the cool kids are doing it.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:27 PM
ColeT24
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen it done on TV. I'm doing it because it will definitely be a better ride than the original stock twin- I-Beam and a lot cheaper.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:22 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did mine well before it was shown on television. I for one have never stated the IBeam suspension wasn't an independent suspension. Personally I think it the best independent for a truck used as a truck.

Constantly changing camber? There is no difference. As springs sag camber changes on an IBeam suspension just as any other.

One of the strongest points for the IBeam suspension is fewer moving parts. That comes with a price though. That price being handling.

If that is what you want then keep it. It's your truck do with it what you want. Why is it so important to try to down someone else for doing the same thing? Building what they want.

When I was shopping for a project I had a long list of potential candidates. It was going to be 4 wheel independent suspension. My original plans for suspension changed when I learned about the CV swap. At that time there were 2 documented trucks online.

There were no documented rear swaps. Carcrafter had done the IRS but no documentation. The only information I could find other than Dave's site which was mid 50's info said you couldn't pair it with the CV. It would sit 2" lower in the rear.

Life is too short to spend complaining. Did any of you want to start writing the checks to pay for my truck?

The CV is chose because of price when balanced against gain. If you are lowering your truck where can you get a better value for your dollar? So while some may say lemmings. Others might liken it to: The average man learns from his mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Instead of following this proven path for less than $1000 I will be different. I will spend 2-4 times more money and be at the same place. I will be different though.

The same can be said for the MN12. I do think it might be getting time for a branch for CV swapped trucks. I am attempting to do a roll call on FORDification to get an idea how many are out there now.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:32 AM
f100today
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
Why though? Parts for the twin I-beam are still readily available and it's a far, far superior truck axle then anything put in any car.
Man are you sadly mistaken. That CV front suspension will handle anything the twin I beam was meant for in a 1/2 ton truck. Maybe not a 3/4 ton and up, but it is FAR superior in many ways in a 1/2 ton truck application.

You do realize the vehicle that the CV came out of weighed 4000lbs?

I prefer not to do something just because some moron on TV did it and all the cool kids are doing it.
So just because it was done on a tv show and all the "cool kids" are doing it doesn't make it a better choice than a crappy old antiquated I beam set up? Sounds like the cool kids are doing something pretty smart to me.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:59 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
No, but you guys have sold yourself on the idea. I'm not going to try to change minds here; I've said my piece.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:34 AM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
No, but you guys have sold yourself on the idea. I'm not going to try to change minds here; I've said my piece.
Have you had the opportunity to drive a truck that has the CV swap done on it?

If you are going to lower your truck you have options.

Drop beams: Beams, antisway bar, close ratio steering box, disc brake conversion you will be at $1500 +. Advantage: You can easily return the truck to stock.

CV: Power close ratio rack and pinion steering, 12" rotors with dual piston calipers and antisway bar. Can easily be done for under $1000. Drawback: Not easily returned to stock.

MII Variant: Price has really come down but if you want all the goodies $3500-$4000. Same disadvantage as the CV. Both this and the CV are minimal fabrication options.

Full frame: Price will vary based on donor cost. Tons of fab work.

Front clip: Cost will be between $1000 & $1500. Again a bunch of fab work. Given the amount of fabrication involved going full frame swap looks inviting.

If you want to bag it add roughly another $1200.

You are correct you aren't going to sway any minds. Same in reverse. You asked why. Merely pointing out why.

I looked into the prospect of drop beams. By the time I got done adding up cost it was a no brainer for me. I already had power discs and power steering.

I have a 460 with a C6 sitting on top of my CV. 4 1/2 years with no problems whatsoever.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:06 PM
1972RedNeck
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
Constantly changing camber? There is no difference. As springs sag camber changes on an IBeam suspension just as any other.
I come from the stiff axle crowd - camber doesn't change as the suspension cycles.

How does an A-frame camber change? Since it has a top and bottom link that are parallel, the camber doesn't change as the suspension cycles, right?

Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
I come from the stiff axle crowd - camber doesn't change as the suspension cycles. How does an A-frame camber change? Since it has a top and bottom link that are parallel, the camber doesn't change as the suspension cycles, right?
Some do some don't. But not nearly as much as I beams do. It depends on the exact dimensions.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru

I come from the stiff axle crowd - camber doesn't change as the suspension cycles.

How does an A-frame camber change? Since it has a top and bottom link that are parallel, the camber doesn't change as the suspension cycles, right?
Sort of true. As long as the axle is moving straight up and down evenly on each side at the same time. If one side goes up the other side comes down in relation to camber. So if the left wheel went up you would have negative camber on the left wheel and positive camber on the right side.

Camber and caster are set between the spring and spindle. Beams are bent between the pivot point and the spring for camber. Radius arm is bent for caster.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Visually:

The A-arms/control arms have to swing in the same arc plane. Ever hear of the "Shelby Mod" for Mustangs?

The same principle applies to rack and pinion steering which results in bumpsteer.. in this case, it is the tie rod swinging in a shorter arc and the tie rod effectively pulls (or pushes) the steering arm.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:46 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Steering also affects camber. IIRC turn right results in positive camber on the right. Negative on the left. Same in reverse.