1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wouldn't know what to call this problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:00 PM
Farris Shaggy Jabaut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't know what to call this problem

Everyday I drive my truck, sometime during the drive i'll try to slow down or stop and my truck is harder to stop then normal. At first I think bad brakes but when I look at the RPMs they are way to high, if I let go of the brake my truck accelerates fast without my foot on the pedal.
But when this happens, if I step on the gas very hard, as if I was going to floor it then let go of the pedal quickly it goes back down RPMs and is back to being easier to slow down and stop.
Its almost like it isn't changing gears, or is stuck in cruise control without cruise control being on.
I tried googling and bing for "throttling" if that might be the issue but I couldn't find anything similar to this problem.
It doesn't prevent me from driving my truck, but it does seem to waste my gas a lot, it use to not do this so often, but its doing it more and more now that I've neglected to address it. Does anyone have any idea what I'm reffering too and how I might be able to fix it?

Old 12-26-2014, 02:59 AM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, this has not happened on my truck, but I had a car once that the accelerator cable had worn a grove inside the tube it travels in. Once in a while it would get stuck. Like you if I stomped the gas pedal it would pop loose again. I had someone push the pedal while looking in the engine compartment and noticed the throttle would not return sometimes. I replaced the throttle cable and the tube it goes through and no more problem. That sounds a lot like what is happening. Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:52 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When asking for advice please state all vehicle info. Year, make, model, engine size and type(gas diesel), auto or stick trans etc...Has there been any recent repairs that you are aware of?
You have from how Im interpreting it a significant safety drive-ability problem that needs to be addressed ASAP. Do not drive this truck if in fact you are accurately describing this problem. Have it checked by a pro. You either have a throttle problem or a brake system problem or both? Again hard to troubleshoot with zero info.
Also proper FTE site etiquette is once the problems solved please follow up to properly close out the thread. Its helps with the search feature when others can see how it was fixed.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:53 AM
vortec 1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandBlueV10
Hello, this has not happened on my truck, but I had a car once that the accelerator cable had worn a grove inside the tube it travels in. Once in a while it would get stuck. Like you if I stomped the gas pedal it would pop loose again. I had someone push the pedal while looking in the engine compartment and noticed the throttle would not return sometimes. I replaced the throttle cable and the tube it goes through and no more problem. That sounds a lot like what is happening. Hope this helps.

X2 on this. I would be looking at the accelerator cable,return spring or throttle body being gummed up.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 AM
gfl
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if this applies, but thought I'd throw it out there.

In my normal commute with my DD, I have to go down a long gradual incline, I noticed the tach would bounce.. like it would be shifting back and forth between gears, and was harder to stop than normal (burning out a pair of discs in the process), apparently not going into some kind of "coast" mode

I had the auto trans flushed and filled, this seemed to have restored the proper operation of the tranny, all is good again.