6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

dead throttle/unresponsive accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 PM
jxcasey
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In April 2011, I posted a problem under a different thread. As far as I know Ford has not provided a remedy for this issue as yet.

I am wondering if people are still having this problem with trucks built in the first third (Jan-April) of 2011; and, if recent trucks also are having this problem--or has this issue vanished? (There were quite a few responses to my original posts and a number were experiencing the same thing.)

Has anyone received a "fix" from Ford or found their own remedy?

Here are the basics:

1. Suppose I come to a dead stop or a rolling stop and I continue keeping a small or very small amount of pressure on the accelerator. When I try to start again gently, there are two outcomes: (a) the "hesitation" or "no or dead throttle response," when I had added only a small amount of pressure, or (b) a "lurch" when I add more pressure to counter act the hesitation!

2. On the other hand, if I come to a stop or a partial/rolling stop, and remove all pressure from the accelerator before I start again, it seems I can start from a stop normally, both gently and under control. I have been experimenting by being certain there is no accelerator pedal at all prior to any start from dead or nearly a dead stop. That isn't, however, a fail-safe approach because of various driving conditions.

But, even if that provides a partial remedy, there is still a problem because this isn't the way the accelerator should work. It should not take all that learning, adjustment, and counter-measures to drive safely.

I certainly agree with the another poster: either of the two results of this: the "hesitation," and/or the sudden "lurch," could put the truck in a dangerous situation. I already have experienced this near chaos a couple of times; and, I don't want anyone to have an accident in real life--and that could well happen.

So, is this problem continuing to appear on 6.7 2011 Fords, and, if anyone has a 2012---has this problem appeared on the most recently built Fords?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Jimax
Senior User
My truck was built in March 2011. It does not experience the problem you talk about.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
My truck was built in April 2010. I'll have this issue happen twice but I wrote it off to my right foot being to far to the right side of the pedal and having my foot push down on the 'hump' in the floorboard over the transmission instead of the fuel pedal.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
fldave
Junior User

Have not experienced any problems you described. Someone once mentioned that they had a problem like that, but he found out that he was driving two foot, meaning left foot on brake while right on throttle. Once he took off the left foot, everything is fine.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fldave
Have not experienced any problems you described. Someone once mentioned that they had a problem like that, but he found out that he was driving two foot, meaning left foot on brake while right on throttle. Once he took off the left foot, everything is fine.
This. To the OP, do you left-foot brake? Your truck will cut throttle response when the brake is applied. (I believe you can apply brake and throttle under 10MPH). I left-foot brake in all my non-manual transmission vehicles and this caught me by surprise.......no trail braking in this puppy.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 AM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jxcasey
In April 2011, I posted a problem under a different thread. As far as I know Ford has not provided a remedy for this issue as yet.

I am wondering if people are still having this problem with trucks built in the first third (Jan-April) of 2011; and, if recent trucks also are having this problem--or has this issue vanished? (There were quite a few responses to my original posts and a number were experiencing the same thing.)

Has anyone received a "fix" from Ford or found their own remedy?

Here are the basics:

1. Suppose I come to a dead stop or a rolling stop and I continue keeping a small or very small amount of pressure on the accelerator. When I try to start again gently, there are two outcomes: (a) the "hesitation" or "no or dead throttle response," when I had added only a small amount of pressure, or (b) a "lurch" when I add more pressure to counter act the hesitation!

2. On the other hand, if I come to a stop or a partial/rolling stop, and remove all pressure from the accelerator before I start again, it seems I can start from a stop normally, both gently and under control. I have been experimenting by being certain there is no accelerator pedal at all prior to any start from dead or nearly a dead stop. That isn't, however, a fail-safe approach because of various driving conditions.

But, even if that provides a partial remedy, there is still a problem because this isn't the way the accelerator should work. It should not take all that learning, adjustment, and counter-measures to drive safely.

I certainly agree with the another poster: either of the two results of this: the "hesitation," and/or the sudden "lurch," could put the truck in a dangerous situation. I already have experienced this near chaos a couple of times; and, I don't want anyone to have an accident in real life--and that could well happen.

So, is this problem continuing to appear on 6.7 2011 Fords, and, if anyone has a 2012---has this problem appeared on the most recently built Fords?
Your not alone, my truck is doing that as well. When it was new this built in, factory designed delay was not there nearly as bad as it is now. I know from talking with my dealer that they are haveing lots of customers complaining about it as well saying the same things. I bought it almost a year ago and now have 22000 miles on it.

And for those that might say I am a left footed driver, not in a million years. To many years driving manuals to start driving with both feet on the pedals. Plus those that do that wear out brakes faster.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
jxcasey
Freshman User
Hmm--I never considered the "brake override" function or "two foot driving" as a factor. I will give that some thought.

But, even if that is the cause--and I have not experimented yet--isn't the necessity of not using the brake and the accelerator at the same time a bit odd? In other words, could that requirement be as much a malfunction or mechanical obstacle as my original explanation for a "dead throttle/unresponsive accelerator?" I will be interested in other comments.

And, now I will get in the truck and see which approach: one left foot, one right foot, and two feet, both together, separately, simultaneous or not, seems to do.

Will I discover I must take tap dancing class to drive the truck without complications?

Old 08-28-2011, 11:00 AM
TyWebb
Senior User
My truck was built in Nov 2010 and has this same issue. It seems worse when making right and left turns vs. straight. And no I don't brake w/ my left foot.

Dealership thought the new flashes would fix it but didn't. Would love to hear if anyone has found resolution to this.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
Proper left-footed driving isn't "riding the brake". It's a technique used mostly on the track but once you're comfortable with it works great for vehicle control anywhere. If you're coming into a corner a bit fast and your vehicle wants to understeer (push to the outside), the last thing you want to do is lift the throttle or hit the brakes....both will transfer weight forward causing the tail end to come around, instead you keep the throttle constant, feather the brakes then accelerate through the apex ( if you want to keep going fast). Same thing works great at much lower speeds in the snow.......but not in this truck

I guess I've spent enough years on the track where this is second nature.....I wouldn't advise it to someone for routine driving unless they can spend a lot of time practicing ( an open parking lot in the snow is a great place to practice vehicle control at low speeds, and a heck of a lot of fun). I've had to retrain my brain a bit for driving the F-350 (basically slow down and enjoy the view

Here's a link to a nice site to explain things better: Left foot braking

Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 AM
jxcasey
Freshman User
Just to clarify: my experiences with "dead throttle" or "unresponsive accelerator" are at low speeds---usually less than 10 mph, and certainly less than 20 mph.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Dr. T
Mountain Pass
I'm not exactly sure how the brake/throttle interaction works a low speeds on this truck. I just know that in my case, as I turned a corner if I feathered the brake there was no throttle response.....almost got me in trouble the first time as I was wanting to accelerate into traffic and it just bogged down for what seemed like a LONG moment.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 PM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a Feb 2011 build and I have this same issue. I just try to drive around it, if that makes sense. Either I'm getting better at that or I just don't notice it as much. But I know it's there. I do not have the latest flash, was hoping it would help. Plan to take it in for it's first service date next week and get it flashed then.

I only drive with one foot.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM
stsmark
Mountain Pass
Received 60 Likes on 16 Posts
My Dec 2010 build 350 had it rarely, as well as occasional shift issue. First oil change and flash was done 2 weeks ago. Noticeable difference in the throttle to the good. Took the 12K fiver out about 450 mi last week did great, now it just needs to make it's own Diesel.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Xrailroader
New User
I Purchased 2011 F350 SRW,built in April 2010 Didn't have any problem with throttle hesitation until after truck was flashed with 400/800 upgrade in Feb 2011. Ford dealership had flight recorders put on three times,also flashed again, but no fix. Had 9300 miles on truck and I love it except for the hesitation. Always happens in parking lots,or after stopping at traffic lights or when speed is between 0-10 mph. Ford says this is normal, but I'm not buying that. I too have had this happen when pulling into traffic & it is nerve racking when traffic is bearing down on you & you feel like a sitting duck. Once was traveling at 30mph,traffic light was red,then turned green pushed on throttle and nothing. (until it decides to go) 1 to 2 seconds. Ive even pushed throttle to the floor and still nothing.
I got fed up and ordered 2012 F350 SRW, (silly me),thinking maybe it was just a fluke. Well guys the 2012 arrived August 17,built on August 4 2011 and it too does the very same thing. Truck had 75 miles when first hesitation occured.
I don't know what I'm going to do. Don't want Chevy, definitely don't want a Dodge. May have to try Chevy,but really would like Ford to please fix.
Ford service manager at my dealership has been good and now wants to try replacing the accelerator assembly. Apparently it has three sensers in it. ????
I still maintain it has something to do with BOA (Brake Over Accelerator),added to the 400/800 flash upgrade.
I do not drive with two feet,as some have suggested this is what's happening.
I hope Ford gets this problem figured out some time soon, as I've about had it with this new Ford.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 PM
jxcasey
Freshman User
I checked my "build date" and it is near February 17, 2011.

Quick Reply: dead throttle/unresponsive accelerator