1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Any Ford Electrical Guru, Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 PM
MD11Drvr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Ford Electrical Guru, Advice needed

I have recently acquired a 1997 F150 Standard cab 4x4 as spare vehicle for the kids to drive. The first week no problems however second week had intermittent no brake light,turn signal and no hazard. Did some reading on related forums and did the following items to troubleshoot and fix.

checked fuses, pulled and replaced
cleaned the two grounds located under left side kick panel, scuffed and put dielectric grease on to keep corrosion from re-ocurring.
replaced MultiFuction Switch.

It has been a royal pain in the **** since after replacing MFS left turn and brakes worked, right rear worked but not front right. checked front right bulb and after wards nothing worked again.

I would live without the Hazards if I could make the brakes and turn signals dependable.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Merry Christmas..

Old 12-24-2014, 03:46 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MD11Drvr
I have recently acquired a 1997 F150 Standard cab 4x4 as spare vehicle for the kids to drive. The first week no problems however second week had intermittent no brake light,turn signal and no hazard. Did some reading on related forums and did the following items to troubleshoot and fix.

checked fuses, pulled and replaced
cleaned the two grounds located under left side kick panel, scuffed and put dielectric grease on to keep corrosion from re-ocurring.
replaced MultiFuction Switch.

It has been a royal pain in the **** since after replacing MFS left turn and brakes worked, right rear worked but not front right. checked front right bulb and after wards nothing worked again.

I would live without the Hazards if I could make the brakes and turn signals dependable.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Merry Christmas..
Merry CHRISTmas
Not a electrial guru...but...something else to consider
Do you get random other electrical things happen too? like wipers come on by themselves? or dash lights go on and off?

IF so...then you may have a front windshield leak...which leaks eventually to/on the GEM module. which is under the dash and prolly will need replacing

Old 01-01-2015, 07:48 PM
tcrote5516
Junior User
I always try to start with the easy/cheap solutions. Did you try hitting the flasher switch with compressed air while working it on/off? It can cause all the problems your having and may just be dirty/gummed up.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:34 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Tilt steering wheel? Check for a stretched wiring harness on the column that causes intermittent connections of those circuits when the column is lowered.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 PM
ezrdr54
Freshman User
Along with "Enriched and Beyound's comment, I also would suspect the GE Module under the dash.
I picked up an '02 SuperCrew a couple of years ago that had some random electrical issues I thought with conventional thinking would have been an easy fix. To make a long story short, there were signs of water intrusion under the dash (turned out to be a leaking sunroof) that led to the main fuse box under the dash.
Mounted to the back of that fuse block is the CJB (Central Junction Box) which is in fact the main GEM or Generic Electronic Module that controls the signals for just about every function you can think of in the body of the truck.
Turn signals, hazards, horn, cruise control, dash cluster, etc., etc.
Replaced the module and the fuse block (not cheap!) and now a couple of years later everything still works as new.
Fixing the leaking sunroof was also fun, but a story for another time!
Hope that helps more than it confuses.......

Old 01-04-2015, 08:42 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
That's nice, except you forgot to consider that none of those lighting circuits have anything to do with the GEM module. Therefore, there's no way for the GEM module itself to cause the OP's issues.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:45 PM
MD11Drvr
Junior User
Thanks to everyone for the replies. We sort of figured it out and have regained the stop/turn signals but not the hazards. After much wire chasing and aggravation we determined its related to the hazard switch and we had the same issue with the old and the new MFS installed. If the hazard switch was in the on position it blanks all the other out, but it does not flash either. It just takes out the brake/turn signals. We discovered we were chasing our tails with an intermittent problem which was related to switch position. After considering 5 gallons of gas and a match to resolve remaining issues I decided to place an INOP label over the hazard switch and hope no one doinks with switch position again. I will just live without the hazard lights. If luck holds I will not need the hazards anyway.

Again thanks to all for the replies and wish all a great New Year!!

Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I worked on a 99 F150 with crazy lighting issues. I beat my head for a week tracing wires. Eventually figured out a screw inside the dome light is also a common ground point. When I pulled the cover the screw was backed all the way out. Tightened it up and everything was normal.