New Diesel in MD

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:23 PM
USMC1968
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New Diesel in MD

Howdy all,

I just purchased a 2000 F250 SD CC with the 7.3 PSD. The truck has 88,000 miles on it :-) Runs great and no rust, but failed MD inspection (I brought it from Michigan). They said it does not have a muffler and the steering wheel leather has a tear in it. REALLY??? A tear? and you fail it for that? WTH
I thought I did not need a muffler in Maryland since the Diesels do not have to get emissions done?
Thanks
Inspection station is in New Market, MD.

Semper Fi

Old 12-24-2014, 10:38 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 1,001 Posts
Maryland motor vehicle inspection laws have nothing to do with emissions law. Inspection law DOES require a muffler. That why I kept mine in storage after I removed it so the next owner (or I) can have it inspected and pass. After you get it tagged in MD, you will not be required to go thru emissions testing.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:02 PM
USMC1968
Senior User
Thanks BPofMD,
So, where did you get a muffler from? Does it have to be an offset type like my inspector said or can it be one like this? Magnaflow 12770 14" Stainless Steel Muffler

Can I borrow your ;-)
Semper Fi

Old 12-26-2014, 10:45 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

The muffler I have is the original one that came on the truck from Ford. Yeah, you can borrow it but I don't know what it will take to adapt it to your truck...if anything. I did replace my whole exhaust system (cat back) which included a muffler last spring.

I am not so sure that a muffler HAS to be offset to pass MD inspection tho.... I'd want to see that in writing. Look up the law on the internet - Maryland Motor Vehicle Laws.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:29 AM
USMC1968
Senior User
Thanks BPofMD! Actually, I looked under there and it DOES have a muffler. It is clamped on and 31" long, round straight through. I have stopped at several inspection stations and asked about it and they said it is a muffler and do not know why this guy is being like that. I think I am just going to get it inspected somewhere else, spend another $60! It will be cheaper than a new muffler!
Semper Fi

Old 12-26-2014, 04:45 PM
USMC1968
Senior User
So I went to three different inspection stations and showed them my truck and explained what was happening. They all said there is nothing wrong with the current muffler and to fight it with the State police. I called the MSP inspection enforcement told them this inspector was being unreasonable. They are going to check it out on Monday! Lets see what happens!
Semper Fi

Old 12-26-2014, 04:54 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Stop back here and let us know what happened.
And stick a piece of Gorilla Tape (like duct tape only stronger) on the steering wheel.

Agreed the inspection guy was an a-hole.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 AM
USMC1968
Senior User
VICTORY!!
So I went to the Frederick MVA's A.S.E.D. office and had it checked out; the Trooper said Maryland law wants it as factory "original" as possible but spoke to the "higher ups" and they said as long as it does not leak, is properly installed and works it is fine and passed. He called my inspection station and they are going to pass it! Woohoo

Semper Fi

Old 12-29-2014, 09:38 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

I hate it when inspection stations try to change laws to suit themselves! It should result in loss of the inspection agreement with the state.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Speedbump96
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they would bring the inspections back in Colorado. Too many people driving on bald tires in the mountains trying to kill people. Yes, there is a lot of downside to the inspections, but if you are clobbered by someone in a vehicle that wouldn't pass a safety inspection, it tends to change your viewpoint.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 PM
USMC1968
Senior User
I have nothing against inspections, I actually welcome them; it keeps us safer on the road. What I do not like is some inspectors being so crazy by the book that it is unreasonable. My inspector wanted me to get a whole new steering wheel/column because of a tear in the leather; a cover from Walmart would not do. I finally talked him into allowing a Wheelskins to pass since it was tight around the wheel and looked close to original.
Even the State Trooper that checked out my muffler said he was being unreasonable.

Semper Fi

Old 02-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds to me like somebody who is asking to be closed down by the BBB.

Either that or they were out to screw around with you personally for some reason.

Is it a regular service station that does inspections on the side, or is it a dedicated inspection site?

Old 02-21-2015, 02:07 PM
USMC1968
Senior User
It is an auto service shop that also happens to be a Maryland Inspection station. They are walking distance from me so very convenient. I have given them a lot of business so I do not know what the hangup on this issue was. Maybe he was burned on an inspection before and now is super careful / **** about things; either way I know I got a decent inspection but I will not be going back anytime soon.

Semper Fi

Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 AM
jr32560
Fleet Owner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
glad you got things straight~~~

Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd straighten them out more than that - after getting the stuff straight I would want to talk to the guy and find out what the deal was.
*POINT: You have what you needed, you stand nothing to lose.

It just has a kind of a funny smell, and that's got to have a reason.

You go and talk to the guy, level and square - one of two things will happen:
A) You find out he had an issue, and it gets right. After that you have an understanding.
B) You find he won't talk straight up - and that is a damned good reason to kiss that sucker goodby for good.

Until you do, you don't have closure.

One thing all my years have taught me is that people do not do things without a purpose of some kind. At this point, you don't have the "WHY" in hand. I wouldn't rest until I had an honest sit-down with them and talked it through.

IF you work this all the way through, you may have a good hand available for future work who will never screw you again or even try. They will know you, and realize you ain't the 'victim' kind...

Could be good to have.

Maybe they figured you were a stupid damned squid (which we are not). Sometimes a good working relationship needs to be based on (F) me, and I WILL (F) you and still get what I want! That lesson has been taught. Now you need answers...

ROGER THAT?

"Take the high ground"

Nothing is over until it is settled to a point where you never think about it again because you DON'T HAVE TO

They MAY BE a good shop. They are nearby.
You need to identify whether they are good enough or not, regardless of the crap they put you through.
If they do good work, and can be brought in line, it's better for you.

If they are just buttholes, best to cut them loose.

I tell ya what, ask around about them and what they have done for other people near you.

Get the full story.

Have the locals RATE THEM

~You should be talking to the local folks anyway. They are your radar system