6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2004 Ford F350 Lariat fx4 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Pat Taugher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Ford F350 Lariat fx4 upgrades

Hello everyone, im looking to spend money on making my truck more appealing, Maybe dumb but i would like to add clearance lamps, CB radio, Updated tow mirror, Gauges, and aux switches,

Also when the tires are in need of replace, i want to level the front out with the rear, right now its a stock fx4 f 350 that is *** high. What lift and What tires should i roll with, right now i have stock 16 in rims, may jump to ford 17 rims, but ill deal with that then...

If anyone has guides, pictures, and merchants for all of these upgrades. Please Let me know

Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat Taugher
Hello everyone, im looking to spend money on making my truck more appealing, Maybe dumb but i would like to add clearance lamps, CB radio, Updated tow mirror, Gauges, and aux switches,

Also when the tires are in need of replace, i want to level the front out with the rear, right now its a stock fx4 f 350 that is *** high. What lift and What tires should i roll with, right now i have stock 16 in rims, may jump to ford 17 rims, but ill deal with that then...

If anyone has guides, pictures, and merchants for all of these upgrades. Please Let me know
Fuel pressure gauges are kinda sexy, every 6.0L should have one so you know if your fuel pressure gets low you can do something about it to protect your injectors. Clearance lights I do like but have never installed them and I am not a fan of leveling kits, I run stock suspension and stock tire size.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Pat Taugher
Senior User
Where is a good place to buy them, and mount them. Also is wiring and connecting them pretty straight foward?

Old 12-19-2014, 11:59 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
You can get the harness from Ford. Here is a good write up on cab lights.

Cab Light Install With Pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 12-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Pat Taugher
Senior User
Will haveing a sun/moon roof change anything

Old 12-19-2014, 12:37 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Since they come from the factory installed, you should be able to mount them with the sun roof in the stock position. Go to the second link and set up the lights to the listed measurements and see where they land as compared to your sun roof.

Cab lights with moonroof - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

F250 Factory Clearance Light install

Old 12-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I installed these Smoked Recon lights about a year ago. I also installed rubber grommets in the holes for a little added protection from leaking. It took a couple of hours to install. Taking the time to tape, measure, and mark up the placement of the holes was the hardest part.

Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2014, 01:03 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Originally Posted by Shaneb75
I installed these Smoked Recon lights about a year ago. I also installed rubber grommets in the holes for a little added protection from leaking. It took a couple of hours to install. Taking the time to tape, measure, and mark up the placement of the holes was the hardest part.
Looks Great.

Old 12-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Pat Taugher
Senior User
what type of stores would install these... i would be just to afraid i would butcher my truck

Old 12-19-2014, 02:25 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
what type of stores would install these... i would be just to afraid i would butcher my truck
I would think most auto accessory shops that installs stereos, bed liners, and running boards, things of that nature... However I recently read a thread where a guy couldn't find a shop that would install them with a sunroof. It may be tough to find a shop that will do it.?.?

Old 12-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I personally dont care for the cab lights and if you have them then you will want to add the rear lights to match. Instead of the standard type lights go to a truck shop and see if you can get the LED lights instead. They are on the new buses we just got and are much brighter and dont really clutter up the top of the truck. Only have a single hole to drill as they are a plug and play type of light. They are small enought that you could add to ther ear on the tail gate etc if you wanted to.

As to upgrades for your truck, I would recommend a new exhaust if ya dont have one a small tune of some sort (I have a hypertech unit on mine). The OEM intake is good for about 550 HP so really not one needed, but there are some other tricks you could consider to help. The zoodad is one for getting more air in or you could get a bigger scoop for more air into the box.

As to gauges, Glowshift sels some nice ones and they also have the pillar pods for them as a kit. Yopu can also get $$ ones if so inclined. I run the black face on my 04, fuel press, boost and egt. I also added a scan gauge 2 to the system to monitor all the vitals. Tou can go fancier but again you are looking at $$ to get there. I spent less than $300 for the gauges and the scan gauge and if you try you may be able to get stuff on sale.

Tow mirrors I dont know, some say the 08 style are better, but I like what came on the 04. Maybe if I knew someone with a new truck with the square mirrors, but until I try them I am happy. For the CB I built a small consol to mount mine to. Straddles the trans hump, keeps it all clean and if creative is a place to install switches. Added the lighter multi type to the top of the cb box and it gives me 3 additional outlets so I have 5 in front. Plan to fab a setup to hold the gps and the add on sirius radio mount later. I transfer the sirius radio receiver to the rv, and whatever else I want. Just bought additional mounts on ebay/craigs list.

I also mounted a cross bed tool box, then got a short bed hard cover off CL and cut it down. So now have the benefit of the truck box and a hard covered bed. Added a bed extender to keep stuff at the tail gate and it all works well.

Just some ideas to share. Not sure of the 17 inch wheels, my Brother in law has them and one broke when the tire went flat and before he could get off the road. Have read about others have the same issue with the factory 17's (?). I just rune the stock with the new style BFG's. BTW we both have the same truck as yours. Mine is LB, BILs is SB.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:58 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Where can i get a pressure test gauge, i dont want to spend like $70 on a gauge to install...

I think the first upgrade you should start with is a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
And a blue spring mod

Old 12-19-2014, 04:11 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Per4mance
And a blue spring mod
He already did that but: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-problems.html

Old 12-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I dunno about all that bling stuff, my first concern would be getting that 6.0 up to full health and drive it awhile to check for germlins..........it can add up REAL fast

Quick Reply: 2004 Ford F350 Lariat fx4 upgrades