Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Not so monster exhaust????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:32 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
For Stinky, it wasn't a big difference - maybe 50 to 75 degrees. I also saw a mild change in boost performance, I ultimately coaxed 30+ PSI out of stock injectors and turbo. This is where the RTV on the intake plenum failed. The first thing I really noticed was quicker spool-up after passing 20 PSI boost. With stock exhaust, it's like the gauge would get to 20, then struggle to go higher. With 4", I don't see the speed bump.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 AM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by r_carhill
I know that there is an average of 200-300 degrees difference in temperature between the probe in the manifold and in the down pipe, and I get the decompression cooling effect. I figured I would just try to keep it under 900 on the pyro and I would be ok. As far as the intake, the factory airbox had a clip that was broke so I did the 6637 intake like I've got on my 97. The main thing I was wondering was what do you think the egt difference would be between the 3.5" and 4"? Has anyone changed from 3.5" to 4" and documented the difference? I am planning on talking to Beans before I order the chip and get their opinion, but I figured I'd get the opinion here first since none of you sells exhaust systems. It's not the price of exhaust that is a major problem. I can get a MBRP kit for $250, but I also don't like flushing money down the crapper either. Thanks for the replies so far!
You hit the nail squarely on the head. Lots of performance information about going from the stock restrictive exhaust to either a 3.5" or 4" mandrel bent low restriction exhaust. I have not seen any performance information on going from a 3.5" low restriction exhaust to a 4" low restriction exhaust.

Add in the Banks goodies that lower EGTs and improve air volume, and density and you are in uncharted waters. A call to Banks may get a response about efficiency of the Two systems but it would be based on computer calculations and not on real world driving and towing.

My Two cents. If you change the exhaust , do it for looks or sound. EGTs won't change enough to justify the cost. Straight pipe the 3.5 is another option and that will lower EGTs.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the banks power pack sys on my truck but disconnected the trans command and replaced the ottomind chip with a DP tuner. DP said to disconnect the trans command because the tuner will be programmed to do what the trans command does. I left Everything else installed like the intercooler, power elbow, 1.0 exhaust housing, big head wastegate and the 4" monster exhaust. I have the egt probe in the power elbow but when I watch it I make sure not to go over 1000* because there is a 250* difference then if it was installed in the manifold. Ill sell u my banks ottomind chip cheap if ur interested.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 AM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I have the banks power pack sys on my truck but disconnected the trans command and replaced the ottomind chip with a DP tuner. DP said to disconnect the trans command because the tuner will be programmed to do what the trans command does. I left Everything else installed like the intercooler, power elbow, 1.0 exhaust housing, big head wastegate and the 4" monster exhaust. I have the egt probe in the power elbow but when I watch it I make sure not to go over 1000* because there is a 250* difference then if it was installed in the manifold. Ill sell u my banks ottomind chip cheap if ur interested.
OT- What is your impression with the DP and banks stuff together? Curious, as i have alot of what you have except the DP.
Thanks for any input.
Roy

Old 12-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
I love the combination of parts installed. I have great performance and diverability so no issues at all with the tuner working together with the banks stuff. I did have to tell DP what I had on the truck so he could configure the tuner to work with the banks stuff. I'm thinking about getting the 1.0 compressor housing and the WW2/6X6 wheel. But if I due that ill probably have to have my tunes reconfigured again. Ditching the ottomind chip and getting a tuner was some of the best money I spent.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:20 PM
r_carhill
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pitcrw6, was the Transcommand already installed on your truck? If so where is it located? I haven't looked that hard but when I emailed Beans that was one of the things they wanted to know when selecting the tunes, and given all the other Banks goodies on this truck I would be surprised if it isn't on there. I think I'll stick with this 3.5" and get rid of the muffler. We'll see what the boost is like after the chip and if it's like Tugly says, I'll be the proud owner of a 4" system.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:12 PM
CGMKCM
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Pitcrw6, was the Transcommand already installed on your truck? If so where is it located? I haven't looked that hard but when I emailed Beans that was one of the things they wanted to know when selecting the tunes, and given all the other Banks goodies on this truck I would be surprised if it isn't on there. I think I'll stick with this 3.5" and get rid of the muffler. We'll see what the boost is like after the chip and if it's like Tugly says, I'll be the proud owner of a 4" system.
Banks install guidance on the trancommand was to mount it on passenger side of the transmission. You will see the wiring harness and the trans command will plug into that harness.

Tugly's comments were based on stock exhaust and then adding a 4" exhaust.

You should already be able to build boost quickly but the Otto mind chip from Banks will limit the amount of boost you will get vs. an aftermarket chip.

Shifting to a tuner like (Beans, PHP, DP, Gearhead, TW etc) should get you 26 PSI or so of boost. One thing to watch out for, your transmission may not be happy with the added power.

Tuners can add line pressure but adding upgrades to the transmission may be needed. Valve body and cooler upgrades are usually recommended. Ask Beans about upgrades.

I would also make sure that the straight pipe modifications are reversible. I ran straight pipe for about a week. I did not like the sound at freeway speeds towing. I have 4:88 gears and my RPMs are really high at freeway speeds. You may not have any issues with the exhaust sound.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
I installed the trans command myself and the best spot for it is passenger side frame rail about even with tail of the tranny. Its a silver box about 5x5. U can't miss it if its installed. I'll try and get a pick for ya.