After all these years.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:39 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After all these years.....

I'm getting a new truck

Wife and I just put a deposit down and ordered a new 15 F-250 Lariat CC/SB tonight. Won't see it till after the first of the year, but once it gets here it'll replace the ol' 7.3L.

Gonna keep the new one stock. I'll add some accessories to it, but that's all. No tunes, no nothing. Bone stock. Hope to survive an 80 rwhp or so drop in power.

I'll hang out here some more until my memory banks of the 7.3L get too fuzzy. Been a lot of years chatting here and meeting some fine folks IRL. Almost brings a tear to my eye. Almost.

And yes eventually I will sell the dirty donk. Gonna hang on to it a little while longer though. She's got a few more burnouts left for me, maybe one last run down the track.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:26 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Good for you man

let us know how the new one runs

Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Curtis, say it ain't so!! Absolutely continue to hang out here, and good luck with the new truck. You need to keep the "Donk" or you'll get M.A.D. (mod anxiety disorder)

Best of luck to ya.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:47 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO NO NO NO NO NO its just not right,just not right

Old 11-26-2014, 01:53 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Crud.... There goes one of my tuning references. How will you feel if you're in your new rig, and Donk and the new owner pull alongside at the light... knowing you can't take him?

Old 11-26-2014, 04:35 AM
River19
Elder User
All good things must come to an end; Thanks for staying around.....

I assume you are going with the 6.7L and not the 6.2?

Old 11-26-2014, 08:15 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Yep ordered the 6.7L. Wife and I toyed with the idea of a 6.2L, but with as much towing as we do and as long as we keep vehicles, it's just more economical in the long run to go diesel.

As much as I've been around the 6.7L's the past several years, they finally rubbed off on me and I grew to really like them. Now with the turbo and pump upgrades for the 15 MY, I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
Crud.... There goes one of my tuning references. How will you feel if you're in your new rig, and Donk and the new owner pull alongside at the light... knowing you can't take him?
In that case I'll just detune the truck when I sell it.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:29 AM
ScaldedDog
Fleet Mechanic

Received 106 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats, Curtis. Thanks for all your help to the community, and to me.

The new trucks sure are nice. We rented an EcoBoost Expy EL the other day, and my wife has been talking about I should get rid of the X and get one of those. [sigh]

Mark

Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats Curtis. I'm kinda at that point with my 02 that I need to spend money to fix it up, or just drive it for another year or so and get a new one. The bed is completely rusted out, and rust is showing through on the front doors. Either spend the money on this one, or put it towards a new one.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Congrats Curtis. I'm kinda at that point with my 02 that I need to spend money to fix it up, or just drive it for another year or so and get a new one. The bed is completely rusted out, and rust is showing through on the front doors. Either spend the money on this one, or put it towards a new one.
That's kinda where I'm at too.

Body took a beating a few years ago from hail, and the paint is doing that peel thing that oxford white trucks from this era are known to do.

Plus with the miles it's not the engine or tranny that I have to worry about, it's everything else around it. Just in recent months I had a water pump go out, HPOP spit up it's guts, alternator, oil cooler, high pressure oil line, rear diff, and some other stuff. And that doesn't count the maintenance I've had to do in the same time period like oil changes, filters, new brakes, etc.

For one I'm spending a lot of money to keep it on the road. The other thing is I travel a TON for work, and the truck is my wife's only mode of transportation when I'm gone. Plus since it's her livelihood that requires the use of a truck, any time it's down is lost money for her business.

So on to a new truck with a warranty so I don't have to screw with it in case something does happen while I'm gone.

And a happy wife makes a happy me!!!!!

Old 11-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Eventually everyone moves on at some point....I hope you enjoy your new truck. The '15 upgrades should be pretty effective.
We ordered two new pickups for our work fleet and I drove one for a week....they are basic XL models, extended cabs, 6.2 engines and it was nice but I was glad to get back behind the wheel of my ole '99 I think it'll be awhile before I let mine go. If something were to happen to my trucks, I am not sure I'll stick with a Super Duty....I might try the F150 but still not sure that is enough truck for me. Decisions, decisions....

Oh well, for now I am good. Hope you stay around the forum still...

Old 11-26-2014, 01:56 PM
TransBrain
Junior User
I'm going to be about 1 week behind you. sounds like the rebates may get a little better.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:31 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new one Curtis - So is the new 6.7 pretty reliable in your opinion & is it as easy to service & work on as the old 7.3 ?

Old 11-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TransBrain
I'm going to be about 1 week behind you. sounds like the rebates may get a little better.
That's what I'm hoping for.

By ordering, I can lock in the current rebates. If they are better when the truck arrives, then I can take advantage of the new rebates.

Quick Reply: After all these years.....