Oil FIlter relocate 292

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Oil FIlter relocate 292

Howdy all,

I am finishing up my filter relocate and I thought some might want to see how it turned out.

I'll use a remote filter mount and adapter from an OMC King Cobra (marine) 460 V-8.

The entire mess came from my 21ft boat back (replacing the 460 with a Mercruiser 454) in 2005 and I pretty much sold everything only keeping "stuff' I might use later!

The oil filter adapter and mount are aluminum and pretty nice quality so I decided to use it on my 292 since they used pretty much same filter size.

Here's the before picture:

Since I am using a rather different way of mounting the transmission, AND using Rams Horns, the exhaust down-pipe was going to interfere with the current oil filter location.

I made those engine mounts using Dodge truck (cummins) mounts because they're flat (and cheep!).

As you can see, the "down-pipe' had to "bend" back to miss the mount but placed it right through the oil filter so I used the OMC filter adapter and put the oil filter in front of the engine mount.

I considered using flexible hose for the oil lines but since the adapter and filter "base" are both rigidly mounted to the engine & (upper) eng-mount, there is no relative movement between them.

This allowed me to use aluminum tubing. I used Aircraft AN fittings and 3003-0 aluminum 5/8" tubing (designed for fuel, oil and low-press hydraulic use) I obtained from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty

I also have the fuel filter mount from the same engine so it will allow me to use the OMC (spin-on, water separating) fuel filter too. I'll also probably use an electric fuel pump

Regards,

Rick

Old 11-23-2014, 03:46 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I'm curious about your transmission. Looks like an adapter in the picture. I've got a crazy idead of a ZF 6 speed behind my 292 in my 59 F100 4x4.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:16 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by chetspencer
Thanks for sharing, I'm curious about your transmission. Looks like an adapter in the picture. I've got a crazy idead of a ZF 6 speed behind my 292 in my 59 F100 4x4.
Howdy,

It's an E4OD bolted to a Bentsen adapter.

I thought about using a ZF 6 speed or even a 5 speed. (They've been used up to and including the F450)

I don't know who might make an adapter for them though. I know this one will not work with a ZF but they could probably make one.

It's not really the adapter that's the problem, but the flywheel and clutch/pressure plate.

I don't know why someone hasn't done it yet. The ZF would be an outstanding trans behind a Y-block!

My E4OD came out of a diesel F450. A friend who rebuilds transmissions for a living rebuilt mine using a different case (for a 300-6//302 V-8)

The adapter is for the that (smaller) case but the trans internals are the same. I also wanted the trans because I could use the tail-shaft mounted E-brake (which also works with the ZF)

Old 11-24-2014, 08:15 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Howdy,

It's an E4OD bolted to a Bentsen adapter.

I thought about using a ZF 6 speed or even a 5 speed. (They've been used up to and including the F450)

I don't know who might make an adapter for them though. I know this one will not work with a ZF but they could probably make one.

It's not really the adapter that's the problem, but the flywheel and clutch/pressure plate.

I don't know why someone hasn't done it yet. The ZF would be an outstanding trans behind a Y-block!

My E4OD came out of a diesel F450. A friend who rebuilds transmissions for a living rebuilt mine using a different case (for a 300-6//302 V-8)

The adapter is for the that (smaller) case but the trans internals are the same. I also wanted the trans because I could use the tail-shaft mounted E-brake (which also works with the ZF)
Thanks for the excellent feedback. I know the ZF is rock solid, I have one in my 2004 Caddy CTSV with 222K miles on it, with original clutch even
I think the ZF truck input spline is 1-3/8" which just happens to match the T98 that I have now, so someone might be able to use the original flywheel\clutch assembly. I keep forgetting that the original Y bell housing bolts to the cross member and I'm not sure if the ZF has bosses in the bell housing or how to deal with that issue as my F100 cross member is not removable.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:02 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the excellent feedback. I know the ZF is rock solid, I have one in my 2004 Caddy CTSV with 222K miles on it, with original clutch even
I think the ZF truck input spline is 1-3/8" which just happens to match the T98 that I have now, so someone might be able to use the original flywheel\clutch assembly. I keep forgetting that the original Y bell housing bolts to the cross member and I'm not sure if the ZF has bosses in the bell housing or how to deal with that issue as my F100 cross member is not removable.
Yeah. Neither does the E4OD. that's why I had to fab side engine mounts and a cross-member for the back of the trans.

I don't think it would be all that hard to use a different flywheel/clutch and pressure plate. You'd only need to get the alignment correct and bolt pattern.

You would probably need to use a spacer similar to the one I am using to bolt the 300-6 flex-plate to the Y crankshaft.

Check with Bentsen on that. He may have one made up already. ( I also think he makes one-off adapters too) Ford Y-Block Transmission Adapters

My adapter was intended to be used with an AOD/AODE and it might be compatible with the ZF for a SBF............... The E4OD is also usable but it must be one that was intended to bolt to either a 300-6, 302 and possibly the 351

Built right, the E4OD is a very strong transmission. Even used in the F550 with the 7.3L diesel, and 460. But the internals are interchangable even with the heavier E4OD 's and 4R-100's

Old 11-25-2014, 07:47 PM
chetspencer
Posting Guru
Yeah. Neither does the E4OD. that's why I had to fab side engine mounts and a cross-member for the back of the trans.

I don't think it would be all that hard to use a different flywheel/clutch and pressure plate. You'd only need to get the alignment correct and bolt pattern.

You would probably need to use a spacer similar to the one I am using to bolt the 300-6 flex-plate to the Y crankshaft.

Check with Bentsen on that. He may have one made up already. ( I also think he makes one-off adapters too) Ford Y-Block Transmission Adapters

My adapter was intended to be used with an AOD/AODE and it might be compatible with the ZF for a SBF............... The E4OD is also usable but it must be one that was intended to bolt to either a 300-6, 302 and possibly the 351

Built right, the E4OD is a very strong transmission. Even used in the F550 with the 7.3L diesel, and 460. But the internals are interchangable even with the heavier E4OD 's and 4R-100's
Great looking adapters! Thanks for the link. I just went and looked under my truck and decided I want to try and leave everything stock from the bell housing forward. so if I can find a semi modern 5 speed that will mate to a y block truck bell housing I'd be all set.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:11 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Great looking adapters! Thanks for the link. I just went and looked under my truck and decided I want to try and leave everything stock from the bell housing forward. so if I can find a semi modern 5 speed that will mate to a y block truck bell housing I'd be all set.
That will be a dilemma! I don't know which 5 speed transmissions will bolt to the standard Y bell-housing. There is a Clark 5-speed but I think it's a medium duty trans and they are very rare.

Good luck though!

Rick

Old 11-28-2014, 03:38 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
The T5 is probably the easiest to adapt a Y Block truck but it is not a bolt on. Two holes on a 3-speed bellhousing line up perfectly. It may not work well for a 4x4, though.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
How much heat will those lines pick up from the exhaust manifold? (I don't know, just food for thought)

Old 11-30-2014, 12:47 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Kruse
How much heat will those lines pick up from the exhaust manifold? (I don't know, just food for thought)
Howdy,

I did think of that.....It does look close doesn't it? ............... the line actually goes no closer than about an inch and a half or so....................So, I might put some Aviation firesleeve over it Just to be sure!
AEROQUIP FIRE SLEEVES from Aircraft Spruce

Aeroquip Firesleeve was specially developed to meet the fire resistance requirements of FAATSO - C53a OR TSO - C75. May be used for all fuel, oil, hydraulic, fire extinguisher & propeller feathering lines. "Fire-proof" hose lines as defined by FAA must withstand a direct flame for fifteen minutes under specified flow conditions without failure. Fire-resistant lines must withstand a 5-minute exposure under these conditions. Fire-proof hose lines are obtained when the proper size Aeroquip Firesleeve is selected from the chart below and properly assembled. 900591B Clamps - used to secure firesleeve material on each end over the basic hose assembly. See chart for correct size. Sold by the foot.
Cheers,

Rick