Ford Racing oil filter adapter

Old 06-15-2015, 06:23 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Ford Racing oil filter adapter

One of the benefits, not the key benefit of the Ford Racing filter adapter I was expecting was "cleaner" oil filter changes. Wrong. At least for me. The other benefit that I am sure it accomplishes is not letting the oil backflow out of the filter. I was seeking that to see if that would help quieten down my engine on initial starts after over night or long delays between running. Did not help in my situation on my 69 f100.
But I do like the look and the methodology behind the adapter and bought one for the 240 I am having rebuilt for my 71 f100.
As to why it doesn't make for a "cleaner" oil change. The quantity of oil stored in the housing of the adapter is pretty substantial, so once you start to loosen the oil filter, it flows out as the filter is already full. Second negative - oil filters are not as easy to remove and install.
Just my two cents.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Carloespo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the adapter. Not as clean as I thought it would be either. It does look good though.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:47 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
bought both of mine off of ebay for about $85. Each shipped with a fl1a filter as well.
Probably should have painted mine before installing. Might do that with the one coming in for the 71. Just paint the body and leave the installation bolt and mating surfaces unpainted.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:00 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I think if I was going to go through the trouble of running an adapter. I'd just go a step farther and go with a remote mount filter/s. That way you can mount it where ever it would be the easiest to deal with. And then you aren't dumping oil down the side of the engine or all over the crossmember when you change your oil.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:09 PM
mrbwa1
New User
One of my Dad's RX-7s (maybe both) had a remote oil filter. It also had little cooling fins on that remote filter block AND a remove oil cooler on the 13B rotary. Those little buggers really needed a lot of oil cooling.

The best part of the remote mount though was that it was mounted "upsidedown" so you spun off the filter and lifted it right out. No mess.

the downside was having to have a good anti drainback valve and no easy way to prefill a new filter.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:12 AM
6978sghfbjklgdfsjhkl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
One of the benefits, not the key benefit of the Ford Racing filter adapter I was expecting was "cleaner" oil filter changes. Wrong. At least for me. The other benefit that I am sure it accomplishes is not letting the oil backflow out of the filter. I was seeking that to see if that would help quieten down my engine on initial starts after over night or long delays between running. Did not help in my situation on my 69 f100.
But I do like the look and the methodology behind the adapter and bought one for the 240 I am having rebuilt for my 71 f100.
As to why it doesn't make for a "cleaner" oil change. The quantity of oil stored in the housing of the adapter is pretty substantial, so once you start to loosen the oil filter, it flows out as the filter is already full. Second negative - oil filters are not as easy to remove and install.
Just my two cents.
I finally got a filter adapter installed on my new DD (my e150). When I change the oil I usually drain the pan "while it's hot"..then use a a plastic bag to catch the mess as I loosen the cold filter. (sine it's vertical I can just pull the bag up around the filer and) viola...Many times I'll change the cold filter the next morning..

Of course if you want to change it hot it's a little trickyier.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:00 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Good idea on the bag. Will have to remember that. I usually start my pan draining as well. For this last change I was running some stuff through the engine and the recommendation was drain it out as soon as possible, so the engine and filter were a little warmer than my usual.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:32 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Try driving a hole into the bottom of the filter then getting something to drink. I got my adapter from a 60s econoline & love it. Not a drop on the floor.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
Try driving a hole into the bottom of the filter then getting something to drink. I got my adapter from a 60s econoline & love it. Not a drop on the floor.
Well heck. Another easy approach.
One thing about the filter. I was disappointed in the fact that the big "bolt" attaching it to the engine rusted over.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:19 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey what kind of oil filter are you using? Hopefully not a Fram their junk that's probably the reason for the noise on start up get a Motorcraft or Purolator oil filter!

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Just my two cents.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:59 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Ford fl1a of course(:

Old 09-20-2015, 09:37 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
Any pics of that adapter? Or does it look just like the ford racing one?

Sam