1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1948 F-3 Rat Rod Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:01 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice find. Welcome from Winnipeg. Good luck with your build.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:36 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
What Joe said.... More pictures. Very nice truck.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:34 PM
KelownaPhil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wheels were on the truck when we got it. They won't be staying, though, because they are 8-bolt truck wheels. We'll be using 5-bolt wheels on the 'rod'.
Would love to post more photos, but everytime I try I get a message saying "Unable to upload photos"... is this because I haven't made enough posts yet, or do I have to get the annual membership to post photos?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:04 AM
51fred
More Turbo
Received 97 Likes on 53 Posts
I have had this problem with pictures too. I had to reduce the size of the pictures using Paint to get them to upload.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 PM
KelownaPhil
New User

With the truck stripped down to the frame, we took careful measurements and found that the frame is perfectly square. Good news!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:06 AM
CaptPayne
Senior User
Hey Phil,
Welcome from another Canuck, albeit an islander. looks good so far

Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now, before you cut is the time to really think it through. I know that the Vic swap is sometimes done on 61-66s and IMHO it's too wide for that body style.On an early F series it may be even worse. I know it's a F-3 but they are not any wider than an F-2. IMHO Nothing ruins the look of a truck more than two big honking front tires out board of the front fenders. It's fine on the back but the front... not so much. F-6 fenders may help but that opens other cans of worms.

Just measure the Vic and think it through. There are plenty of other options if you find the Vic too wide.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:10 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by F-ONE
Now, before you cut is the time to really think it through. I know that the Vic swap is sometimes done on 61-66s and IMHO it's too wide for that body style.On an early F series it may be even worse. I know it's a F-3 but they are not any wider than an F-2. IMHO Nothing ruins the look of a truck more than two big honking front tires out board of the front fenders. It's fine on the back but the front... not so much. F-6 fenders may help but that opens other cans of worms.

Just measure the Vic and think it through. There are plenty of other options if you find the Vic too wide.
F-2 through F-6 share the same fenders, F-7&8s have wider fenders but, IMO, look way too wide but it probably wouldn't matter on a rattie rod.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:16 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I just looked at the pre- tear down pictures. Looks like the the truck was fairly original. Interesting it had the stainless windshield trim from a '51/52 to. Is it just the way the way the picture was taken or is there also a trim piece on the back window? If so I wonder what it is from, it wouldn't be a Ford part.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Sportster.Mark
Senior User
Originally Posted by fladoodle
I know what you're trying to say, but what ratrod means to me, (and what I think the word has evolved to mean,) is a patina-finished vehicle or one cobbled up with parts from multiple different vehicles. However, as I understand, it originated from people who wanted a hot rod but didn't have much cash, so they grabbed anything they had, or had to pay very little for, and welded and chopped until it, (kind of,) fit. This usually ended up in a very unsafe car, (think big block on stock model A chassis, steering, and brakes.) This then became popular with the people of slightly more sound mind who wanted that "ratty" look with better build quality and safety. I've seen some "rat-rods" with incredible craftsmanship and ingenuity, and some that scare me to think about being anywhere near while it's driving around.
The term "ratrod" always seemed to me to be a carry-over from motorcycling, where a "rat bike" is one that is built purely for function without regard to appearance and in fact the dirty/homebuilt appearance is even intentionally exaggerated (like using a coffee can covered in primer, grease and decals as an oil tank or a 55 gallon barrel as the body for a sidecar). The term "rat bike" has been around since at least the early '60s that I know of, "ratrod" is much newer.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:11 AM
KelownaPhil
New User
Update on front suspension

Cutting two inches out of the front cross member to narrow it.

You're right, the Crown Vic cross member is too wide for the F-1 - F-3 trucks. That was a challenge that we were prepared for. We cut two inches out of the center of the cross member, then re-assembled it by TIG welding and adding thick aluminum gussets on all four sides over top of the joint. We also had to design some adapter plates to mount the steering rack, and shorten the tierods by an inch each to compensate for the narrowed track. Now the wheels fit nicely inside the front fenders. Later we'll have to design and build some adapters for the engine mounts as well.

Here's the modified cross member temporarily installed in the truck chassis.

With the front bodywork set in place, the wheels sit nicely inside the fenders. The normal ride height will be an inch or two higher than this.

I should probably clarify my meaning about the term 'rat rod'. The completed project will look like an old, weathered truck. But under the body, everything will be pretty sanitary. The chassis will be fully refurbished and powder coated, as will all the suspension bits. The engine bay will be tidy and freshly painted, and the interior will be completely re-done.
When we got the truck we weren't sure just what direction this project would take, but now that we're three months into it we're getting a clearer picture. We've decided to shorten the box to just over six feet, which will also mean taking a chunk out of the frame. We'll take as much as we can from the back, and the rest from behind the cab. The rear suspension, which is already mostly installed, is an IRS unit from a Lincoln Mark VIII, and we'll be using airbags all around. At this point we're also thinking about a chopped top.
I did say at the start of this that it would be a 'budget' project, and most of these mods involve considerable labor but not much cost.
More updates to follow....

Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 PM
christurney77
Elder User
Love what you are doing! IMHO I wouldn't chop it though...... I love the "weathered look", but not when can can see the "chopped spots".

Old 12-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
It would be much easier and look better if you get an f1 bed rather than shortening your f3 bed. The f2/3 beds were longer, wider and taller than the f1 beds.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:03 PM
75Three90
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Subscribed

Old 12-23-2014, 10:10 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm really liking the way it is coming out. Keep up the good work! And keep the photos coming !!
I spent over 25 yrs. working in body shops (retired form that now)and I have No desire to restore or do another fancy paint job. Anybody with money can have a pretty truck. But I love the look of 60 yr old patina. So as many guys here have said RatRod is more about skill than it is about having deep pockets. Unless you pay someone to build your rat rod for you. By the way that is cheating !!

I myself am hoping to find a old 46 Jailbar with original panita to make a rat rod/ survivor type truck. Not a true survivor and not a true rat rod more like a hybrid. I love the old Ford trucks from about '36 to '47 and some of the old IH's myself. I am hoping sometime this summer to have saved up enough cash to find a original panita '36 to '47 Ford 3/4 to 1 ton truck that is unmolested by human hands to start my build. Mine will be diesel powered and modern brakes and the rest I'm going to try to leave alone.

By the way what did you do with that front straight axle from your truck?? Because that is a really cool piece but I understand it didn't fit your plans for your truck. I ask because I know a guy with a F3 looking for parts so what you don't use I might have a buyer for so PM the parts you want to get rid of.