Sponsored by:

Rusty Door Bottom Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Geeeyejo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rusty Door Bottom Repair

Took a look last week under my passenger door bottom weather strip of my 2003 V10 Excursion and saw a good deal of rust starting - other doors not as bad but had rust as well. Picked up an angle grinder and some POR15 and went to town today. Pulled the weather strip off,

grinded out the rust, dried area thoroughly and painted with POR15. Much better. Gonna put one more coat when this one starts to set, let dry then put back the strip with new fasteners. The weather strip really hides this area and it does see a lot of moisture due to the proximity of the door drains - worth checking out!

Old 11-14-2014, 05:27 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Good job, but you have to thoroughly coat the inside of the door too or the rust will return.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Geeeyejo
Senior User
Originally Posted by housedad
Good job, but you have to thoroughly coat the inside of the door too or the rust will return.
I have a can of Eastwood Rust Convertor - it has an extension tube that allows you to spray inside frames and panels. Figure I will hit the inside of each door by going in through the drain holes. Will do next week once the POR15 is fully dried and cured. It's 100% better already - it appears to have started from the seam down and the POR15 has sealed this very well but I assume there is some rust on the inside as well!

Old 11-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
that come out great.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 PM
abranz
Senior User
Beautiful job but may I suggest one more thing. Take the door panel off and spray the lower third of the door with fluid film, heavily on the bottom. It will really help preventing rust from returning.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Geeeyejo
Senior User
What is fluid film?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this in the fall myself. It started from the rubber seal holding junk up against he pinch seam. With the POR15 it shouldn't come back. Inside wasn't rusted at all on mine. I actually ground an extra slot in the lower edge to confirm this. Now that it is sealed up, I need to get the rubber back on. It gets filthy all under there and the channel. It has frozen up on me already this year with ice accumulation.

I know some have said to keep the seal off, but I think it will be better with it on now that it is well coated.

I never did do an after yet. Guess I can do that anytime before I put the seals back on.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:41 AM
abranz
Senior User
Fluid film is lanolin and I believe it's the best anti rust product available. Comes in bulk or spray cans. Living in areas with salt you won't know how you lived without it.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:10 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by abranz
Fluid film is lanolin and I believe it's the best anti rust product available. Comes in bulk or spray cans. Living in areas with salt you won't know how you lived without it.

Sheep wax? Wow.

That stuff is useful for a lot of things. Especially cleaning the hands!

Old 11-17-2014, 07:53 AM
exbxtoy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abranz
I looked the stuff up on Amazon, not cheap at $13 per can. However, I am looking for anything to cover the bottom of my X as this is it's first winter in Michigan and I want to keep rust at bay.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:00 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by exbxtoy
I looked the stuff up on Amazon, not cheap at $13 per can. However, I am looking for anything to cover the bottom of my X as this is it's first winter in Michigan and I want to keep rust at bay.

Eastwood Rubberized Rust Encapsulator Undercoating - Black

Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
WOW! That is an amazing job! I almost wish mine was rusted so I could try and replicate it

Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Geeeyejo
Senior User
Did my whole frame and undercarriage about a month ago - POR15 on all surface rust I could reach and Rustoleum rubberized undercoating on everything else under the truck - should be all set for winter now!

Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 PM
abranz
Senior User

There's nothing cheep regarding de-icers. They wreak havoc on automobiles, roads, bridges, and the environment. Billions of $ yearly, no joke.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:45 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing. the rust doesn't`t come from the weatherstrip. it comes from inside the door at the door seam. water and junk collect inside at the bottom of the door. this is what causes the rust, from the inside out! take the door panel off, blow out the bottom of the door and put some POR15 along the lower edge nice and heavy so it seeps down into the seem.

I did mine 5 years ago and they haven`t popped since!

Quick Reply: Rusty Door Bottom Repair