1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Starter Relay/Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 PM
AMGrulz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Relay/Solenoid

Ok, so my 1983 F250 460ci won't start. It's not a battery issue. You turn the key, the relay clicks...nothing. Now, I'm in the process of diagnosing this problem, but I'm running into trouble stemming from my own inexperience, and what I suspect are parts suppliers playing fast and loose with terminology. The issue is that I don't know what the difference between the starter relay (which I know to be fender-mounted on my truck) and a starter solenoid (which seems to be either fender or starter-mounted). Are the starter relay and the starter solenoid the same thing?

I'm slightly confused because I've already ordered a new relay from RockAuto, but LMC seems to be calling the exact same part a starter solenoid. Any insight would be greatly appreciated (and I know, the relay is working if it clicks - don't ask me why I bought a completely new one. It was cheap and it's easily accessible on the truck.).

Old 11-14-2014, 12:34 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Starter relay, starter solenoid. Same thing, different terminology. Hope you bought a good brand starter solenoid, the cheap ones fail FAST.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
If you want the correct technical terms, the relay mounts on the fender and is just that, a large relay that makes electrical contact only.

A solenoid mounts on the starter and has a mechanical function as well as sometimes electrical. The solenoid usually pulls the gear into the flywheel as well as making electrical contact.

All that being said, the relay on the fender is called a "solenoid" by so many people, like the other poster said it's used interchangeable. No use fighting it, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGrulz
Ok, so my 1983 F250 460ci won't start. It's not a battery issue. You turn the key, the relay clicks...nothing. Now, I'm in the process of diagnosing this problem, but I'm running into trouble stemming from my own inexperience, and what I suspect are parts suppliers playing fast and loose with terminology. The issue is that I don't know what the difference between the starter relay (which I know to be fender-mounted on my truck) and a starter solenoid (which seems to be either fender or starter-mounted). Are the starter relay and the starter solenoid the same thing?

I'm slightly confused because I've already ordered a new relay from RockAuto, but LMC seems to be calling the exact same part a starter solenoid. Any insight would be greatly appreciated (and I know, the relay is working if it clicks - don't ask me why I bought a completely new one. It was cheap and it's easily accessible on the truck.).
The best way to troubleshoot your problem is to get two people. Get someone to turn the key while you are testing with your meter. Don't fall into the trap of just poking around with a testlight or voltmeter without putting a load on the system(turning the key). You will end up frustrated, the no load readings will tell you nothing.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 PM
AMGrulz
New User
New relay is in and...the transplant hasn't worked. The new relay makes some alarming noises, and the starter still does nothing. I'm starting to think this truck is cursed.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
What brand is the new relay?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:13 AM
AMGrulz
New User
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
What brand is the new relay?
Airtex/Wells. It makes a sort of ratchety noise. Not nice. We tried jumping terminals as prescribed in the Chilton manual for just such an occasion. Still the horrible ratchety noise, and no starter function.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:14 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Airtex/Wells. It makes a sort of ratchety noise. Not nice. We tried jumping terminals as prescribed in the Chilton manual for just such an occasion. Still the horrible ratchety noise, and no starter function.
Well that's probably the first problem. Supposedly the only GOOD new relays are made by Standard and Motorcraft. I had the ratchety problem before, bad battery connection at the terminals caused it. Had power in cab, turn the key. No power in cab and ratchety sound from relay.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:25 AM
AMGrulz
New User
Originally Posted by FordFETruck
Well that's probably the first problem. Supposedly the only GOOD new relays are made by Standard and Motorcraft. I had the ratchety problem before, bad battery connection at the terminals caused it. Had power in cab, turn the key. No power in cab and ratchety sound from relay.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. The relay was under $10, so I guess it's not the end of the world if it's crap. Will try cleaning the battery connections before relegating anything to the trash heap. I did have to use WD40 to get the connections off the old relay, and didn't bother cleaning that off the eyelets at the relay either. I might try cleaning all the connections just in case.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
1983, eh? It might not be a battery issue, but it COULD be bad connections. It costs nothing, and what have you got to lose? Better than spending more money on parts, and wish I had a nickel for everytime a bad connection or ground caused something to not work right. ANYTHING electrical depends on its power supply.

Remove the battery and clean it all up, top and sides, put in on a charger at 6 amps. Then, this is important, put a wrench on all the cables - negative battery cable (should) go direct to block, positive cable to starter, and remove them.

Don't just look at them. If the cables are green inside with corrosion under the insulation or at the crimp replace them, but in any case clean up all connections with a file, wire wheel, pocket knife, what have you, down to shiny bare metal,etc.

Reinstall securely, reinstall battery - wirebrush those terminals! Connect the negative battery terminal last. Bet you a nickel it starts.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:38 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
AMG, do you loose power inside the cab when you try to start it?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:01 AM
maytag906
Posting Guru
I changed the solenoid on my 97, when it had the same symptoms. It didn't fix it, but a new starter did. Have the starter checked.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:54 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
That ratcheting noise the relay is making is commonly caused by low voltage; make sure your battery is charged and all the connections and cables are good.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:37 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you jumped the relay -with a wrench or whatever- and there is still noise, it is not the relay.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 AM
quakerj
Senior User
I had a similar no start problem on mine a few months back. The relay would click, starter made no attempt.

Mine was caused by a corroded / broken ground from the truck frame to engine block, IIRC.