Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler Help: California Truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:32 PM
AmericanIron460
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler Help: California Truck

Evening guys. I need help choosing a muffler. Ever, since I owned my truck it has had a 50 Series Flowmaster which unfortunately developed holes some time ago,and it needs to be replaced.

I would get another one, but from what I've read the 50 series Flowmaster is more of a mild muffler, and I want to get something with a bit more sound too it. I'm out in California meaning I have to go through SMOG, so I can't get too crazy. Any help (especially from the guys out in CA) would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my current system: Stock 460, Hedman Headers (Part #89510) with a single 3-inch pipe going into the stock CAT with 3-inch pipe all the way back. Overall I just want something that is test proven, and sounds good rather than experiment, and end up having my truck sound like a Honda Civic. Thanks guys.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:25 AM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Originally Posted by AmericanIron460
Evening guys. I need help choosing a muffler. Ever, since I owned my truck it has had a 50 Series Flowmaster which unfortunately developed holes some time ago,and it needs to be replaced.

I would get another one, but from what I've read the 50 series Flowmaster is more of a mild muffler, and I want to get something with a bit more sound too it. I'm out in California meaning I have to go through SMOG, so I can't get too crazy. Any help (especially from the guys out in CA) would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my current system: Stock 460, Hedman Headers (Part #89510) with a single 3-inch pipe going into the stock CAT with 3-inch pipe all the way back. Overall I just want something that is test proven, and sounds good rather than experiment, and end up having my truck sound like a Honda Civic. Thanks guys.
Well my friend i'd love to give you more input on this sense i have a 460 in CA as well but im in the process of getting a new muffler too. My recomedation would be a 40 series or sense you have a 3in single you can get a super 44 which is much louder but with the stock CAT it might be restricting because it in itself is an effective muffler.Go to flowmaster and see which mufflwers are available with a 3in But sense you brought up those headers how do you like them? Is their any noticebly better fuel economy? pros?Cons?
Thanks!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:06 PM
AmericanIron460
New User
Originally Posted by GreenMachinee
Well my friend i'd love to give you more input on this sense i have a 460 in CA as well but im in the process of getting a new muffler too. My recomedation would be a 40 series or sense you have a 3in single you can get a super 44 which is much louder but with the stock CAT it might be restricting because it in itself is an effective muffler.Go to flowmaster and see which mufflwers are available with a 3in But sense you brought up those headers how do you like them? Is their any noticebly better fuel economy? pros?Cons?
Thanks!
Thanks. Initially I thought the headers I got were junk, but after it was all said, and done I was happy with them. I'd say the Headers made a difference. I'm yet to do a fuel economy test, but for sure they flow better than those 'heat sponge' exhaust manifolds. However, there are some things I'd change if I had the money.
The main thing is the coating on the headers. If your going to get a set of headers get some coated ones. Either chrome, powder coat, or stainless. I went with the un-coated headers which turned out to be a total mistake. If you have the tools available to paint them right; go for it. If not, you'll save more money just getting the coated ones. Other than that I'd recommend them.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 PM
GreenMachinee
Senior User
Thanks. Initially I thought the headers I got were junk, but after it was all said, and done I was happy with them. I'd say the Headers made a difference. I'm yet to do a fuel economy test, but for sure they flow better than those 'heat sponge' exhaust manifolds. However, there are some things I'd change if I had the money.
The main thing is the coating on the headers. If your going to get a set of headers get some coated ones. Either chrome, powder coat, or stainless. I went with the un-coated headers which turned out to be a total mistake. If you have the tools available to paint them right; go for it. If not, you'll save more money just getting the coated ones. Other than that I'd recommend them.
Yeah right now their a little out of my price range haha. But back to your exhaust I'd start with the CAT and get a different one. You can never get a true good sound with it on there. I believe that magnaflow makes a High Flow Cat that is CA approved. Go to the link below for Cats for your truck. Then run the pipe that you have on now thats coming out of your stock cat and run it to a new muffler. Like i said a super 44 would sound real good. I just put a glasspack on mine today after my stock cat and its not to much louder.
Just my .02 cents.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...rder=Ascending

Old 11-19-2014, 08:14 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey brother, what year is your truck?

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GreenMachinee
Yeah right now their a little out of my price range haha. But back to your exhaust I'd start with the CAT and get a different one. You can never get a true good sound with it on there. I believe that magnaflow makes a High Flow Cat that is CA approved. Go to the link below for Cats for your truck. Then run the pipe that you have on now thats coming out of your stock cat and run it to a new muffler. Like i said a super 44 would sound real good. I just put a glasspack on mine today after my stock cat and its not to much louder.
Just my .02 cents.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...rder=Ascending
Magnaflow only has one converter for a 1992 pickup with 7.5l for California. Unfortunately, like my 94' its an OE repro converter, not a true high flow. It sucks, as far as I know, Eastern Catalytic and Magnaflow are the only companies that make a CA converter for a 92'. On my 94' Magnaflow is the only company that makes a CA cat. Costing around $400+.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:30 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Use a Magnaflow muffler and a Random Technologies Super Flow Cat. The Magnaflow gives great sound and the Random Tech Cat is a low restriction cat that doesn't need additional air added to it. Google the cat and I'm sure you will find it is CA approved.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 PM
GuitarJesus
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ddaybc
Use a Magnaflow muffler and a Random Technologies Super Flow Cat. The Magnaflow gives great sound and the Random Tech Cat is a low restriction cat that doesn't need additional air added to it. Google the cat and I'm sure you will find it is CA approved.
According to their website, the only Ford truck cats they have are for gas engines are the 4.0 SportTrack.