Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Cool idea!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM
krazylegswp
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following

I have a similar build about to start love the valve cover modifications. Not too keen on the logo on mine either I decided to go a different route in regards to drivtrain wich is to use forged 390 pistons in a late model block (same pin diametr) just so others know there are options for a torque monster too theoretically I also intend on a supercharger from either vortech or procharger ill be posting my build log later this evening always good to see a kindred spirit

Old 06-05-2015, 02:05 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by krazylegswp
I have a similar build about to start love the valve cover modifications. Not too keen on the logo on mine either I decided to go a different route in regards to drivtrain wich is to use forged 390 pistons in a late model block (same pin diametr) just so others know there are options for a torque monster too theoretically I also intend on a supercharger from either vortech or procharger ill be posting my build log later this evening always good to see a kindred spirit
The down side to running the 390 pistons is, if I remember correctly, they require a 0.060" over bore. It'll work, but I personally like to only bore out the cylinders the minimum amount. Especially if boost or nitrous is planned in the future. But I'm a little paranoid with stuff like that.

The 352FE pistons also work, but I think they require the top of the pistons milled down slightly.

I like the choice of the 351W pistons if a person wants an off the shelf piston that's not a 300 piston. Plenty of choices and to use them, if you have the late rods, you just have them bushed down to .912".

Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 PM
krazylegswp
Cross-Country
.05 minimum for stock 390 pistons yet the block I have had 400k+ miles and cylinders were measured at .03 over anyway (sounded like a rattler on start up) .05 is as far as I feel comfortable going and if roush racing feels the same way with there 300 blown build that gives me confidence in it as well these blocks are pretty darn hardy with the bulletproof moniker

Old 06-05-2015, 04:18 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
.05 minimum for stock 390 pistons yet the block I have had 400k+ miles and cylinders were measured at .03 over anyway (sounded like a rattler on start up) .05 is as far as I feel comfortable going and if roush racing feels the same way with there 300 blown build that gives me confidence in it as well these blocks are pretty darn hardy with the bulletproof moniker
If you are starting with a block that's already been over bored 0.030"-0.040" then sure. But if a person is starting out with a standard bore block I can't see boring it 0.050"-0.060" just to use a certain set of pistons. It may not be a lot, but the more you over bore a cylinder the less material there is left on the cylinder wall. Plus you are also eliminating a chance for a future rebuild with out sleeving the cylinders.

The 240/300 are tough blocks but they are still a thin wall casting.

I'm a big Roush fan. But I have seen plenty of their Nascar engines go boom. Just saying.

Like I said this is just my opinion and that doesn't mean much. That's what's great about this hobby. There are many ways to accomplish the same thing.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:40 PM
krazylegswp
Cross-Country
Absolutely this is the last time for a rebuild but, it was a spare motor. Im all about simplicity and research. im glad to have found your post to find out about the other options. (I may go that way for my other 2 engines and good info for my 240 build in the future)
I think making a sticky with the information you've given along with the information I found for mine would be pertinent and your diagrams are beautiful. as a 25 year old basically just getting started these forums have been a godsend (working on a mechanical engineering degree sure helps too) but as far as budget and simplicity goes an off the shelf part and the fewer parts can be the deciding factor.
Keep up the great work and great pictures. You obviously know your stuff

Old 06-05-2015, 04:45 PM
dylansf23
Posting Guru
Absolutely this is the last time for a rebuild but, it was a spare motor. Im all about simplicity and research. im glad to have found your post to find out about the other options. (I may go that way for my other 2 engines and good info for my 240 build in the future)
I think making a sticky with the information you've given along with the information I found for mine would be pertinent and your diagrams are beautiful. as a 25 year old basically just getting started these forums have been a godsend (working on a mechanical engineering degree sure helps too) but as far as budget and simplicity goes an off the shelf part and the fewer parts can be the deciding factor.
Keep up the great work and great pictures. You obviously know your stuff
Hey there fellow tradesman. I'm goog the same route! Except I'm leaving the usmc at 21 to get that degree, but I'll be more of a cnc/machinist/tool and dye maker and just get close to my bachelor's so one day when I want to move up, it'll be easy.
Have you seen my build thread? My motor has the 390 pistons and two pistons were sleeved(bought the motor like that)
if I ever want to charge the air, I've got to throw my head on a more stock bottom end. And get new pushrods then check my tolerances and go.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:57 PM
juancho_uy
Freshman User
actual pics of this job?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:33 PM
jreese
New User
Late entrance, I apologize. But, the shots of the rockers on the head inspired me. No matter what the catalog says, fine parts are fine parts. And, those look to be some fine parts. The threaded studs are great.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Jason May
7th Gear
Any Updates?

Old 04-21-2016, 09:56 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
wtf happened to the updates?? Id love to see the progress/finished engine

Old 04-22-2016, 09:30 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah... right. Obviously I neglected to update this thread.

I got that valve cover patched up.

Attachment 289059

Here it is in primer with the badge.

Attachment 289060

I primed the engine but it wasn't very smooth so I spent a few hours on it with the dremel.

Attachment 289061

I actually didn't like the blue anymore so I painted it Cummins beige.

Attachment 289062

Attachment 289063

Since then the engine has sat in my garage as I've been working on the truck itself for the past year, but that's actually almost nearing completion because I sprayed base coat on it today.

Attachment 289064

Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
wow, thats awesome. I love the emblem on the heads. Great work!

Old 08-14-2022, 12:10 PM
V2Danceman
4wd Low
Just found site

Originally Posted by trozei
I see no indication whatsoever that this engine has ever been rebuilt. The bores are within a thousandth of 4", the crank has never been turned, there are no marks on any parts, everything looks original, all parts including bearings are FoMoCo, the engine has only 75,000 miles on it...

It did however have a 240 head so someone, somewhere swapped one on.

It is a fine tooth gear set. My research indicated that the HD 300 got the fine tooth metal gear. My research also says the HD 300 was no longer produced mid-'70s. It seems we have conflicting research. Maybe we can resolve this?

And yes the gear was very quiet. If you'd have asked me pre-teardown what material the gear is, I'd have figured nylon fiber. No noise at all.

The shop I took it to to have it hot tanked was recommended by a friend who's had a few race engines built there. So far I like the vibe of the place but I want to check it out more before I trust the guy with all my parts.
I'm enjoying your feed. Ready to build one myself. does anyone have a long ride combination for the 300?

Old 08-14-2022, 01:17 PM
pmuller
More Turbo
Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by V2Danceman
I'm enjoying your feed. Ready to build one myself. does anyone have a long ride combination for the 300?
You were looking to go either '72 390FE or '71 460.
What happened?

Quick Reply: My Ford 300 Engine Build