Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Rear Axle Seal Spicer Axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Axle Seal Spicer Axle

Hi, I have a 1993 F-250, 4x4 ext cab, manual with a 7.3 IDI. I started a brake job and found the seal leaking just a little. Upon inspection, it appears to have a retro/repair type seal. It is a giant seal and the sealing surface that is on the spindle appears to have a new surface held in place by silicone. When I purchased a new seal for $48.00 it will fit the hub but not the sealing surface on the spindle. Has anyone seen anything like this or have experience with this?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:29 PM
tbehrens1
Junior User
Originally Posted by Eric Kropp
Hi, I have a 1993 F-250, 4x4 ext cab, manual with a 7.3 IDI. I started a brake job and found the seal leaking just a little. Upon inspection, it appears to have a retro/repair type seal. It is a giant seal and the sealing surface that is on the spindle appears to have a new surface held in place by silicone. When I purchased a new seal for $48.00 it will fit the hub but not the sealing surface on the spindle. Has anyone seen anything like this or have experience with this?
it sounds like the axel housing got chewed up itself and somebody tried putting a larger seal in... Then sealing the seal. Do you have the other side apart as well? What does it look like?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:45 PM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
It could be a Scotseal, a two piece design. The outer part seals against and rotates on the inner part. The inner part seals against the spindle. Its a pretty slick design and has worked great on our trucks and heavy duty trucks as well. The sterling 10.25 is known for leaky axle seals and this is one solution. Ford apparently came up with their own solution as well which was different and could also be what you're looking at.

The one that I used for my truck a few years back is Scotseal Plus XL #34384 It was easy to install and hasn't leaked.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
I have found out thru the posts that it is a Sterling axle not a Spicer like Autozone said. The setup that is on the drivers side rear is a very high quality retro. It involved a new sleeve that is held in place with silicon and a shield on the back side of it that rotates with the hub. This is not a speedi sleeve for sure and it is not a National Rawhide Scotseal. The bearing has a slinger associated with it in this kit. I could, I would like to just replace the seal and re-assemble. I suppose I could just re-assemble as it is since it wasn't leaking when I took it apart. I was just trying to be the good wrench man. The passenger side doesn't have this kit. Looks to be stock and not leaking.

V-465

Old 10-26-2014, 04:32 PM
tbehrens1
Junior User
I have found out thru the posts that it is a Sterling axle not a Spicer like Autozone said. The setup that is on the drivers side rear is a very high quality retro. It involved a new sleeve that is held in place with silicon and a shield on the back side of it that rotates with the hub. This is not a speedi sleeve for sure and it is not a National Rawhide Scotseal. The bearing has a slinger associated with it in this kit. I could, I would like to just replace the seal and re-assemble. I suppose I could just re-assemble as it is since it wasn't leaking when I took it apart. I was just trying to be the good wrench man. The passenger side doesn't have this kit. Looks to be stock and not leaking.

V-465
If it was not leaking you should be okay. That is your call. I'm curious to why there was silicone applied? Was it applied for more coverage? Does it look like it would be worth doing if replacing Axel seals?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
It appears that this retro-fit kit is entirely installed sleeve and all in the hub. Then a bead of silicone around the inside of the sleeve and the whole thing goes on the spindle. The reason I say that is that the shield that I mention in my most recent reply was definitely fastened to the hub prior to it being slid onto the spindle. If you go to the "Full Sized Bronco" Forum, there is a post on the "Technical Write ups" titled "Sterling 10.25 rebuild" There are some real good pictures of what I've go going on with exactly the same retro-fit, but with out the bad leak that he had. I would just like to find out who made this kit so I can replace the seal and I think I can fasten the shield back to the hub if the brakes and springs are removed.

V-465

Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
I am attempting to get some photos on here thru the photo bucket thing, but it is kicking my rear all over the place! next reply I hope!

V-465

Old 10-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Old 10-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
My wife got the three photos of my spindle above these before I could get some text with it.
Let me know what you think.

V-465

Old 10-26-2014, 10:41 PM
tbehrens1
Junior User
My wife got the three photos of my spindle above these before I could get some text with it.
Let me know what you think.

V-465
I've never seen anything like that. Perhaps you could find a different kit that works as well or even better than that. Appears to be a good set up though. If it wasn't leaking then it already spoke for itself.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Eric Kropp
Senior User
Ok, I finally figured it out. What was left on the spindle is the inside of the "rotate within it's self seal". I bought a Ford Seal for their retro and when I heated and pulled the sleeve off the spindle I realized it was the inside of the seal still in the hub. All better now!

V-465

Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i had a feeling you were looking at part of the old seal left,but i screwed up my account by inserting the wrong updated e-mail and locked myself out so i couldn't post and tell ya lmao.pretty easy to figure out once you dove into it.

autozone sells the good updated seal for this too.
Timken 370047A