Modular V10 (6.8l)  

"Cold" V-10 Knock subsides on warm-up... : ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:03 AM
MAD JAX
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd read a TSB regarding "Engine Clatter/Noise when Cold" that addressed loose Clutch-Plates rattling within the 4R100 Automatic...

And though I've replace a missing nut @ Cyl #5 Exhaust the rest appear intact and tight with no-leaks apparent whatsoever...

I'm about to FINALLY get out of the House today ~ We'll soon-see if the Water-Treatment did anything other than clean some gruff off the top of the Pistons : ?

Ciao!

Old 10-29-2014, 04:09 PM
MAD JAX
Freshman User
NOPE...and gawed I HATE how this Automatic shifts : ?

Old 10-29-2014, 06:05 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a cheap superchips obd2 programmer doodad from eBay that allowed me to firm up the shifting. The other crap it does I don't care about. It helped. They are cheap used, just make sure it's not vin locked on a previous vehicle.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:46 AM
MAD JAX
Freshman User
Since my last post:

I've replace the MAF sensor - previously "Brake-Cleaned" for MUD CONTAMINATION - and re-freshed the Engine Oil &Filter w/SAE 5w-30 and "Drive-Rite" filter...and some things changed yet others did-not ~ especially the "Knocking" on Cold-Start @ Idle that subsides with Warm-Up... : ?

LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) was found "High" at both-banks...that and a perpetual 35-ish Hz. Frequency being produced by the MAF - at-least as interpreted/displayed by the PCM - indicated the Truck was being operated at a 6500 ft. elevation ~ whereas I'm operating at +/- 1100 ft. MSL and no-where near an altitude the likes of Denver... : ?

So BEFORE replacing It I disconnect the MAF Sensor to put the PCM into It's Default Mode...and though It didn't "Run" much better the Shift Quality improved 200% ~ just a little TOO GOOD ~ for now It would up-shift to O.D. and "Lock-Up" too-early...and really firm, with an audible "Squawk" to-boot... : ?

Then I bought the cheapest MAF I could get in-hand the fastest ~ As offered by Dorman as "Remanufactured" @ Advance Auto nearby...which did read correct upon initial installation and KAM Re-set/Battery Dis-connect (Keep Alive Memory) BUT... : ?

Now IT seems to keep creeping back UP (in elevation for creeping DOWN @ circa 40~45 Hz.) for mostly reading mid-40's Hz. ~ still nowhere near "Correct" in terms of elevation/Hz. OR TOO ~ "Correcting" properly BACK to +/- 54 Hz. (1100 Ft. MSL) for Me having hammered the Throttle (as prescribed) to "re-set BARO"... : ?

So ~ now I'm back removing the PCM to see if It's got a "Chip" installed OR perhaps find It's been "FLASHED"...and ~ not the least of-which for what I've found everywhere ELSE on this Truck ~ I may-just replace IT altogether rather than re-install It for how much ****ING MUD is likely to be found in 'n about of It... : ?

ONE Good-thing out of all-this so-far: Now I'm sure the Transmission ****-shifts for IT's "Programming" vs. "Condition" ~ which otherwise appears excellent in 'n out... : ?

Now HERE's What will blow-some-minds:

Having by-now fixed so-much STUFF to make the Vehicle "Road Ready" and actually driven It - albeit with the likes of My "Big-Toe" for the Mileage I'd saw initially and how It's shifts...I've been getting 14.7 MPG : ?

( : ? = "So NOW wtf?!?" ; )

Old 01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Mmm.... mud ingestion

Gotta wonder if it hydrolocked.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 AM
MAD JAX
Freshman User
Indeed ~ for all the evidence that It likely got SUBMARINED by the Kid that I bought It from ~ I do : ?