1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 4.9 I-6 auto trans having some issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 AM
Catherine M Fisher
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I asked Aamco which transmission I have & they confirmed it's a C-6, so your info on it being the easiest & cheapest to rebuild makes me happy. I'm not sure if Gilbert does transmission rebuilds but I like knowing the C-6 is one of the more affordable ones to rebuild if necessary. I did get some Rislone & will put it in over the weekend & let you guys know if I feel a difference.

All of your advice has been great - I sincerely appreciate it & your advice & support means the world to me! I'm so glad I found this forum - you have no idea how much better you've made me feel when I've read all of your posts - THANK YOU!!!

Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome. But don't miss RW's question about whether the fluid in the torque converter was changed or just that in the tranny. That is critical as there is more in the TC than the tranny so if they didn't drain it 2 years ago then you got less than a 50% shot of new ATF.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:32 AM
Catherine M Fisher
Junior User
Hi Gary,

I was originally going to say that I didn't know if Gilbert changed the fluid in the torque converter when he changed the transmission fluid but after doing some research, I highly doubt he flushed the system when he did it. Wouldn't I have to ask him to do that when I first requested the oil change? I know he changed the filter & the fluid (& replaced the module as well - that REALLY caused shifting problems for my truck - talk about scary!) but I doubt he changed the torque converter fluid since I didn't ask him to (I didn't know I was supposed to).

Old 08-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Flushing and changing all of the fluid are two different things. The latter just requires the mechanic to pull the pan to get the fluid out of the transmission body, and pull the plug in the torque converter. It is all one system but when the engine is shut off the fluid settles in those two places and, therefore, must be drained individually.

Flushing is the term typically used to describe hooking a machine to the transmission coolant lines and having the transmission pump its fluid out on one line while sucking in new fluid on the other. That doesn't require draining the fluid, per se, but accomplishes the same thing.

Can you tell from the receipt how much fluid was added last time? If only 4 or 5 quarts he only drained the body, but I'd 11 or more quarts then he drained both. Or ask him? If I remember correctly you really like this guy, so it wouldn't be challenging him on work not done right, but just trying to find out if he typically drains both. If he didn't then I think it needs to be done again. Especially if the can of additive helps the shifting.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Catherine M Fisher
Junior User
Smile Sorry for the late reply...

Hello again,

I'm so sorry I didn't update you all sooner. I found my old invoice & Gilbert only charged me for 5 quarts. The Rislone did help; I want to add a little more since he seems to be shifting slow again. Once he's in gear he's good to go but to be safe, I'm sticking to side streets for now - no freeway for me for a while. I think it might be worth my while to have Gilbert change out all the fluid & see if that helps. Boy, that sure would be awesome if that's all he needed! Even though the C6 transmission is the most affordable to rebuild, I'd prefer not to do that if I don't have to.

The good news is that I'm going to NM to go get my moms 1993 F-150 4x4!!! I am so excited!!! I'm flying out on the 21st & driving him home! I hope I don't encounter any snow but if I do, I'll have 4x4 power! Once I have my 'new' truck, I can take Sean Patrick to Gilbert & have him check him out & figure out a game plan from there. Wish me luck on everything, fellas!!!

Thanks again, you're all awesome!!!

Thanks again for all your input - it is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 11-13-2014, 07:39 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
If he only charged for 5 quarts he didn't drain the torque converter, and that's where most of the fluid hides when the engine is off. That, plus the fact that the Rislone helped but the effect is going away tells me that your fluid really needs to be changed. Completely.

So the plan to get your mother's truck and drive it while Sean Patrick is serviced is a good one. Here's hoping you don't run into snow and that you have a safe, and enjoyable, trip.