Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1999 F250 7.3 won't start first try but will the second try

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 PM
rmacinc22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 F250 7.3 won't start first try but will the second try

I have a 1999 F250 7.3 with 60,000 miles that has new batteries. It does the exact same thing it did with the old batteries, which I thought were bad. I can attempt to start it, in any type of weather, hot or cold, and it will crank for a few seconds and it seems like the batteries are going down and it won't start. Then when I shut the key off and try it all over again, it starts right up like there's nothing wrong. Same thing every single time I try to start it. I've even put battery tenders on it for weeks and it still always does the same thing every time. Any help??
Thanks!

Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 PM
jasonc76
Senior User
I'd check the ground cable connections to make sure they're clean

Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
like mentioned check ALL your cable connections. Then check starter mount bolts are tight. After that it may be the starter. Mine was doing the same thing and it was the starter that was on it's way out.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99 with 60,000 miles wow, let me know if you don't want it anymore

Old 08-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
This could be a starter or a starter relay, bad electrical connections, a bad check valve in your HPOP, or a combination of issues. It also sounds like your glow plugs could be taking you down - try this:

Turn on the key (in warm weather) and let it set for 30 seconds - then try to crank it.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I was thinking maybe the lpop is getting weak and not suppling enough oil on the first try but still has enough for the second try but I could be way wrong.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:39 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds like the engine is about to seize up. This will in turn cause all sorts of steering issues and the tranny will have a melt down.
I can do you a favor though and swing by to pick it up for say...$500. I will take it off your hands to save you the trouble of having to fix it.

Sounds like what was already mentioned...bad ground or starter. And I will throw in the solenoid.

How long between turning the key to ON and actually starting it do you wait on the first try?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:20 PM
rmacinc22
New User
Thanks for the suggestions. I've checked the connections and they seem good, tight and clean. This is so weird cause it does the exact same thing every time I try to start it. It doesn't matter if I haven't started it for two months or two hours. I let the "wait to start" light to go out and give it a try. It turns over for a few seconds and then slows way down like the battery is dead so I quit trying, shut the key off, turn it right back on, wait for the "wait to start" light to go out again and then, when I try to start it the second time, you wouldn't even know there was a problem at all and it fires right up, quick and fast. It has brand new batteries, which might not have really been needed cause they didn't help at all. Weird!! Keep the thoughts coming, I'm listening and open to suggestions. Thanks!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
With starting that quick, you are cranking with the Glow Plug Relay on. Give it the 30 seconds before cranking - it could be an important clue.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Tugly
With starting that quick, you are cranking with the Glow Plug Relay on. Give it the 30 seconds before cranking - it could be an important clue.
Good call. I completely forgot about the timing with the glow plugs.

Like he said...key on but don't start it until after about 30 seconds. See if she starts right away.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:12 PM
rmacinc22
New User
1999 Diesel won't start on first try

Ok guys, I've tried it like suggested. Turn key on, waited 30 seconds and then start it. It did start on the first try, although it took a little bit longer than I would have liked for it to, but it did start. Also, a new twist, my son said that he tried to start it by just "starting it". No waiting, just turn the key and start it. So, I tried it that way also and it basically started the same as it did when I waited 30 seconds. Not immediately but it did start on the first try. So.... what exactly does this mean? What might my problem be and what do I need to do to fix it? Again, any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 PM
rmacinc22
New User
Is anybody still out there? I still need help on my 1999 7.3 that starts really strangely. Read my posts, it's really weird. Please help, I can't afford to take it to a dealer or other mechanic for something I might be able to do myself.
Thanks!

Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

I would disconnect the main feed to your glow plug relay and try again. Could be an issue with the relay where it is killing the power with a short. Starting right away, doesn't give it time to do much.
Disconnect it and tape it off real good to keep it from shorting on anything. If the weather is warm enough it should start fine. Down in the 50s or 40s, it make take a couple seconds of cranking. If it starts fine, then I would double check the wiring on the relay or replace it if wiring checks out.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:40 PM
rmacinc22
New User
Still need help on my 1999 f250 7.3 diesel

It's been a while since I've posted but I'm still having problems starting my truck. It's a 99 with 60k miles so I don't try starting it all that often. I've tried all suggestions posted here and still nothing seems to work on this. I did test the relay and it has approx. 10.5vdc when the key is turned on and also, when testing across the relay, it has approx. 12vdc until the key is turned on and then it drops to approx. .05vdc. All this, I think, tells me that the relay is good. So why then does it take two times to start this beast? To recap:
I turn the key on and wait till the wait to start light goes out and try to start it. It cranks 5-10 secs. and then seems like the battery is running down (I just put two new batteries in it but it did the exact same thing with the old ones). Then after the 5-10 secs. with no start, I shut the key off and immediately turn it back on and wait for the light to go off, only this time it starts perfectly. Same thing every time without fail. There has to be a reason for this and I'd really like some help
Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 10-11-2014, 11:34 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

It still sounds like an issue with the relay. Almost like it is getting stuck the first try and the second try kicks it all the way over. Internally it is still mechanical. I would pick up another relay and double check the wiring. I don't remeber if you mentioned your brand but I have a Stancor relay and many others here have great results with them. Larger and heavier duty than an OEM a replacement. And cheaper. I think I paid about $25 for mine.
If you were here in Colorado I would swing by to do comparisons with mine since they are the same year. Maybe someone near you can give you a hand. We have members everywhere and many willing to help out.

Quick Reply: 1999 F250 7.3 won't start first try but will the second try