6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Saving money for BPD oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 337 Likes on 209 Posts
Saving money for BPD oil cooler

I am going to pull the trigger soon and wanted some opinions good or bad from some of you guys that have/had it and seen results from installing this nice piece of equipment. All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

I am going for the Tall HD cooler with oil filter relocation kit. Don't think I need the cold weather kit as I live in Socal and at my altitude, I rarely see temps below 40*F if that....but like I said any opinions are welcomed.

Thanks
Joe

Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
My opinion is you could replace the factory cooler 10 times compared to the price of one BPD kit.

Josh

Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
X2^^ replace the stock cooler and spend your $$$ on fun upgrades.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:11 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
X3 I think that is an enormous waste of money. Use the money for something else like a dieselsite HPOP when yours dies if it ever does.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X4, the factory cooling system works great. I've read where some in warmer climates expected to see lower oil temps but didn't vs. the stock OC system.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:29 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Very interesting comments so far. No way is this a bash BPD thread....just opinion gathering

I agree it is a lot of money, that is for certain. There was an overwhelming majority agreeing one could replace the stock cooler 10x for the price of a BPD. I have been in the motor that far once and it is ALOT of work for sure. Do you guys constantly replace coolers in your trucks?

Just as a piece of mind for me that my oil cooler is working. Normal deltas unloaded range from 10-14*. Loaded and towing HEAVY the deltas stay close as mentioned but on long hard pulls I have seen spreads as far as 30* and coolant temps reaching ~235*.

I have been told I am ok so I closely monitor and it hasn't changed much. Is it time for a new cooler or is it working as it should?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
In no way would I bash BP diesel. They make an awesome product, but a high price.

Sounds like you will need a new oil cooler shortly. Keep up with good maintenance of the cooling system and you shouldn't have to replace it again.

And make sure you use an OEM oil cooler kit

Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
What problem are you trying to solve with the BP cooler?

The stock cooler in a properly maintained vehicle works fine in warm and cold weather.

No long hoses to leak or burst. No oil filter waiting to be punctured by tire or road trash. No need for altered fan ops to improve airflow through the rad and ac condenser.

But I have heard they send some cool swag with the kit if you are into that sort of thing.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Zbugsii
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the full BPD setup with bypass filter. Yes, expensive, but if you are traveling lots across the country, putting lots of miles on the truck, plan on keeping it for a long time..... then piece of mind takes it for me.

But at a very minimum, a coolant filter should be installed.

I also have several other upgrades as in:

Blue Spring ARP Studs, Modified Heads with pressed in valve guides
Bulletproof Oil Cooler, Oil Filter, & Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, Aluminum Radiator, 4" SS Exhaust, Diesel Site HPOP, Coolant Filter, External Fuel Filter and Transmission Filter, Helwig Swaybars, Dash Boss Monitor with Fuel Pressure and EGT, Evans Waterless Coolant

Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Zbugsii

Blue Spring ARP Studs, ]Modified Heads with pressed in valve guides
Bulletproof Oil Cooler, Oil Filter, & Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, Aluminum Radiator, 4" SS Exhaust, Diesel Site HPOP, Coolant Filter, External Fuel Filter and Transmission Filter, Helwig Swaybars, Dash Boss Monitor with Fuel Pressure and EGT, Evans Waterless Coolant
Curious about the modified heads? Not to highjack--would like to know more.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Zbugsii
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, standard heads are just casted metal and the valve guides are just the same metal as the casting. Thus, they can and do crack and wear more. So, when having the ARP studs installed and as part of the package, they recondition and check the heads, grind out metal and press in "hardened" valve guides in their place. If you go to Bullet Proof Diesel web site, they have some links to some write ups and articles with a description and pictures.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Zbugsii
Well, standard heads are just casted metal and the valve guides are just the same metal as the casting. Thus, they can and do crack and wear more. So, when having the ARP studs installed and as part of the package, they recondition and check the heads, grind out metal and press in "hardened" valve guides in their place. If you go to Bullet Proof Diesel web site, they have some links to some write ups and articles with a description and pictures.

Ok--I gotcha--thanks.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
gregory1420
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have the full kit also.. been on my truck since dec of 2012. the filter is easy to get to. i like it so far only prblems i've had is one of the hoses has a slight hole rubbed thru it bc of the way it was routed and the erg cooler is leaking where it goes up into the intake.

would i buy it again hard to say i might just flush the crap out of it and change the coolant to the cat EC then install a new cooler and leave it at that...but at the time i had the money and feel its a good upgrade for the truck..

Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 AM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jsm180
What problem are you trying to solve with the BP cooler?

The stock cooler in a properly maintained vehicle works fine in warm and cold weather.

No long hoses to leak or burst. No oil filter waiting to be punctured by tire or road trash. No need for altered fan ops to improve airflow through the rad and ac condenser.
- Can you elaborate on the altered fan ops please. Never heard of this.

But I have heard they send some cool swag with the kit if you are into that sort of thing.
- could give a $h*t less about the stuff included....I am more interested in longevity and possibly removing the possibility of a burst oil cooler which IMO is the worst thing to deal with. My friend dealt with it and it sucked.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by joe blow
- could give a $h*t less, more interested in longevity and possibly removing the possibility of a burst oil cooler which IMO is the worst thing to deal with. My friend dealt with it and it sucked.
OEM coolers do not have the reputation for bursting or rupturing. A handful of examples doesn't make an epidemic.

Josh

Quick Reply: Saving money for BPD oil cooler