Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Joe_fummins
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat help

I've gotten some terse answers on here and I don't understand what I need to do, I've got an 89 f350 extended cab, I just got the 3 piece seat to replace the bench and the way it sits right now I'm hitting the cieling. Is there anything I can do to make it sit lower? Please don't redirect me or tell me to read other stuff, I don't quite understand it. Please just bear with me and help me through this, I appreciate the help

Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 PM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_fummins
I've gotten some terse answers on here and I don't understand what I need to do, I've got an 89 f350 extended cab, I just got the 3 piece seat to replace the bench and the way it sits right now I'm hitting the cieling. Is there anything I can do to make it sit lower? Please don't redirect me or tell me to read other stuff, I don't quite understand it. Please just bear with me and help me through this, I appreciate the help

You're going to be pretty limited (on the headroom front) due to the four fixed mounting holes in your truck --- what year did the 3-piece seat come from (it sounds like a newer vehicle)??

Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
You have an '89 F-350 SuperCab. GM calls it extended cab. I'm not trying to be snotty, but that could be your first problem simply because you aren't talking the same language as everyone else so you aren't understanding the subtleties of what's being said.

SuperCabs and Broncos use different front seats from regular cabs and crew cabs because they need to slide forward to provide access to the back seat. I'm not 100% sure of this, but what I think I understand is that the seat pans (the sheet metal part that actually bolts to the floor), the slider assemblies (the mechanism that goes between the seat pan and the seats), and the seats themselves are all different: you can't take parts out of a regular or crew cab and put them in a SuperCab or Bronco and vice versa.

And from what I understand, '80 - '96 (and '97 F-250HD and F-350) are all the same like this. In other words, you should be able to use seats, pans and slider assemblies from any SuperCab or Bronco from any of those years.

So what I expect is that you have either a seat pan, or seat, or both from a regular cab or crew cab and you are trying to put them into your SuperCab using the SuperCab slider assemblies.

If that's the case, the simplest solution will be to get the right seats and seat pan. You might be able to MacGyver what you have into your truck, but you're looking at a much more involved fabrication project.

If you are using seats out of a newer truck (after about '97) that's where my insight ends. You certainly can put newer seats into an older truck, but it's not going to be a guaranteed plug and play.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Joe_fummins
Freshman User
Thanks!

Yea I don't think I have the right seats so it looks like I'll be doing some fab, it's gotta get done and I'm outta money. I think if there is any kind of frame in the floor under the carpet I'll be taking that out and making some kind of new mount so my head clears ( I'm 6,2 290 so headroom and comfort are kind of a big deal) thanks for the help and clarification, sorry for being terse my brain doesn't work like it did before the stroke I had 3 years ago

Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 PM
Joe_fummins
Freshman User
Problem

Originally Posted by Nothing Special
You have an '89 F-350 SuperCab. GM calls it extended cab. I'm not trying to be snotty, but that could be your first problem simply because you aren't talking the same language as everyone else so you aren't understanding the subtleties of what's being said.

SuperCabs and Broncos use different front seats from regular cabs and crew cabs because they need to slide forward to provide access to the back seat. I'm not 100% sure of this, but what I think I understand is that the seat pans (the sheet metal part that actually bolts to the floor), the slider assemblies (the mechanism that goes between the seat pan and the seats), and the seats themselves are all different: you can't take parts out of a regular or crew cab and put them in a SuperCab or Bronco and vice versa.

And from what I understand, '80 - '96 (and '97 F-250HD and F-350) are all the same like this. In other words, you should be able to use seats, pans and slider assemblies from any SuperCab or Bronco from any of those years.

So what I expect is that you have either a seat pan, or seat, or both from a regular cab or crew cab and you are trying to put them into your SuperCab using the SuperCab slider assemblies.

If that's the case, the simplest solution will be to get the right seats and seat pan. You might be able to MacGyver what you have into your truck, but you're looking at a much more involved fabrication project.

If you are using seats out of a newer truck (after about '97) that's where my insight ends. You certainly can put newer seats into an older truck, but it's not going to be a guaranteed plug and play.

There's nothing but the slide rails under the bench that's in the truck now, am I missing something or is there a piece under the carpet I didn't get to?

Old 07-02-2014, 10:41 PM
krooser
Elder User
The regular bench seat, IIRC, has two simple seat sliders.

The 40/20/40 seat has a center bracket under the center portion of the seat that mounts the "20" portion of the seat…

I really believe the best way for you to resolve this issue is make a trip to your local salvage yard and, at least, take a look at the floor pans in super cabs and regular cabs… they ARE different and would require extensive changes to the seat frame to make them work… not worth it IMHO.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Joe_fummins
Freshman User
Thanks guys!

I appreciate the help, clarification, and input guys, I'm gonna try to make something work and I'll be sure to get some pictures of what I did to make it happen

Old 07-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

There's nothing but the slide rails under the bench that's in the truck now, am I missing something or is there a piece under the carpet I didn't get to?
Sorry, it's been a while since I've had a SuperCab and a really long while since I've had a bench seat. As krooser said, the bench likely doesn't have the seat pan.

On my Crew Cab with the 40/20/40 seats there is a separate sheet metal piece. First you bolt the sliders to the seats, then you bolt the sliders (and the center console) to the pan, then you bolt the pan to the floor. There's nothing but the floor under the carpeting. I'm almost 100% sure that's all done the same on the 40/20/40 seats in the SuperCabs, except that the parts are slightly different to allow for the additional movement needed.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Ok, so you have a SUPERCAB(2 doors with extra space behind seat)? Or CREWCAB(4 full doors)?

As for the "3 piece" seat. What did it come out of? Is there 3 mounting brackets that bolt to the floor separately, or do all 3 pieces bolt to one frame then the whole assembly bolts in?

The super cab in 89 was never designed for the 40-20-40 seat(3 piece design) but they were designed for buckets which used the same bolt pattern IIRC
SO it should be a Simple bolt in IF you got a 40-20-40 from a 94-97 SUPERCAB