1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Sea Foam

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:10 AM
rews2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Foam

I git the suggestion to add sea foam to my oil to clean out the oil galleys in an attempt to quiet a lifter before I commit to tearing the engine down. Of course adding a new filter and fresh oil afterward.
Stopped at AZ and didn't see sea foam specific to oil just fuel additive.
Is there an oil specific additive or it it the same as you would use in fuel treatment?

Old 06-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sea Foam site link

Sea Foam Motor Treatment may be used in an oil crankcase two separate ways, depending on your needs and expectations. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre-service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner. It can also be used as an after-service oil additive. In either application, Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re-liquefy old oil residue. Each method is described below:

As a pre-service cleaner for old oil residue, (and to address valve train noise and timing chain hydraulic tensioner noise), pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for each quart of oil capacity, including filter. Drive a minimum of 30 minutes (a maximum of 100 miles), and then do your oil change service. This begins the process of safely/slowly re-liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered away. Your old oil will quickly become much dirtier, so an oil change service will be necessary soon after this pre-service treatment. This is also a great idea for turbocharged and supercharged applications where oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, leaving those residues that need cleaning.
As an after-service additive for fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or used oil that is NOT yet ready to be changed (based on mileage since last service). Add the same amount of Sea Foam Motor Treatment to the crankcase as described above, and then regularly monitor your oil for color and clarity. Set a predetermined schedule for checking the oil condition on a mileage, timed, or event basis (such as every time you gas up, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. Monitoring of the oil for color and clarity will tell you when it is time to do an oil change service. NOTE: Do not exceed 3,000 miles without changing the oil.
Remember, Sea Foam Motor Treatment is safe to use with all synthetic oils. Purely synthetic oils, and blends of synthetic and petroleum-based oils, were engineered to be 100% compatible with petroleum-based oils of all brands, and vice versa. Without this compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants. Since Sea Foam Motor Treatment only contains petroleum-based oils, it is entirely compatible with synthetic oils.

Remember, when using Sea Foam Motor Treatment in your crankcase:

Check your oil and monitor its color & clarity to determine need for oil change service!
Change your oil when it gets dirty!

Old 06-06-2014, 12:19 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I knew the stuff is good. Even for diesels. This pretty much cements it. Good Job Greg.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 PM
rews2
Senior User
^ yep! Awesome info man I appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:40 PM
rews2
Senior User
For sure a copy and paste to keep in the shelf of my garage that holds the loosely organized info for my truck and cars

Old 06-06-2014, 06:51 PM
yetiman38237
Elder User
I have never used this product until the other day, I bought some for fuel treatment. I must have got a little bad gas but it sure fixed that up....

Old 06-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Papas66
Junior User
Sea foam has made many non-running small engines run again. It truly is a miracle! I know I put some in the oil and carb of a noisy/rough running dodge 440 and it definitely brought some life back to it.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only thing I use it in is in my outboard and it does a great job.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:57 AM
ovalhead72
Junior User
Just a mention for Rislone- other day I was having low-voltage starting issues and the engine turned over roughly a few times due to sstarter/stop/go and somehow messed up a lifter I guess it collapsed? Anyway, it started knockin real bad so I went to the parts store and bought a bottle of rislone, followed instructions and emptied about a qt of oil out of my engine and added rislone qt. BOOM the knock went right away and has not returned and engine is running smooth.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:20 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Walmart carries sea foam or at least here in San Jose they do.

Their many products on the market for flushing the engine out.
Even a qt. of ATF tranny fluid will flash & clean the engines.
Kerosene is a great cleaner. Also for removing rusty nuts & bolts.

Kerosene is in almost all cleaning additives for the engine noises

Orich

Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
sorry double post

Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
When I saw the sea foam, I was thinking of seafoam green (a light green ford color of this generation of vehicles).
I have never used seafoam in the crankcase, but use it in the fuel tank (on motorcycles and two-stroke engines).
An engineer at my office recommended Engine Oil Supplement (EOS). Found it OReilley's. Said it would help clean out the engine (like all of the advertisements state). Have not changed oil since putting it in. But on the dipstick, it shows to still be clean after about 1000 miles. Maybe all of the sludge it cleared out is in the bottom of the pan.