General Automotive Discussion

Air Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Filter Change

Unlike used oil analysis, there is no way to determine whether an air filter should be changed or not. 12,000 miles, or yearly, seems overkill to me since I do not live in a dusty environment, and the filter seems O.K. (AKA not fithy). I can say that mine is usually still pretty white when replaced, and my 08' Ranger, for instance, has had replacement approx. four times in 78,000 miles. How often do others change theirs? Also, my last oil change was around 6,200 miles, and, though, the air filter wasn't suggested to be replaced, lube tech tried talking me into an engine flush since 'oil was pretty dirty'. Naturally, I declined and said that I would be more diligent next time. I am **** about every 5,000 miles getting an oil change. Could a dirty air filter send dirt particles into the engine and thus further dirtying my oil. I am not a total newbie since I know that oil looks mean nothing. Oil will break down and darken. I should point out that I was also supposedly a quart low and I haven't noticed a problem with burn-off. Wife and I were both due for an oil change and same occurrence with her vehicle minus the quart low (waited an extra 1000 miles or so and frequented the same shop). Her vehicle is an 07' 3.5 Liter Edge with 95,000 miles and my ride is an 08' 3 Liter Ranger with nearly 78,000 miles. Thoughts would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
i inspect the air filter each oil change. if dirty, i replace it. the filter in the 02 diesel had been in there for a little over 40,000 miles and 5 years when i replaced it.
the filter in the 99 crown vic has been in it for a little over 50,000 miles and 8 years.
the filter in the 88 F-superduty is around 10 years and 60,000 miles.
oil change on all three of these vehicles is now at a 10,000 mile interval as prescribed by blackwood after oil analysis .

Old 05-29-2014, 08:18 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Thanks. An air filter would have to be downright filthy to cause issues. Naturally, the lube joint tech checks the air filter each visit and I check on my own now-and-again. I should be good for a while then, if I see a lot of white still.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
those lube places hire people that usually got fired from the fast food joint because they can't figure how to flip burgers properly.

and they make money selling stuff you do not need.
many years ago i took a 94 cougar to one of them for an oil change because it was freezing outside and i did not want to do the oil change. the "tech" comes walking in with a black air filter saying i needed a new one for $30.
i asked him how that was possible, since i just put a new filter in at the napa store 3 miles up the road for $3.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:26 AM
polarbear87
Junior User
When i inspect my round air filter on my 93 e350 7.3idi i usally take it out of my truck and take compressed air and blow it clean from the inside out, and when the dust wont come of anymore then you can see if you need a new filter or not, i can usally tell when this is needed usally i get a blue/black smoke when hot at idle or giving throttle if the filter is clogged due to the engine sucking in more oilfumes from the cdr valve and this is with regular oil and filter changes and regular pump diesel

Old 05-29-2014, 09:42 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
It seems that the rule of thumb on new vehicles is 30K miles.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
It seems that the rule of thumb on new vehicles is 30K miles.
Whether it appears fine or not? I like the idea of using compressed air to blow particles out. My dad claims that his 00' Taurus went 55,000 miles before changing. It must have been black with soot by that time. Once I went 17,000 miles before a change, but another time I had a build-up of cobwebs for some reason and I replaced the factory air filter in my Ranger at like 9400 miles, or so. The real question is: if my air filter hasn't been changed in 15-20,000 miles, could that make my oil measurably more dirty than if I had changed the air filter at say, 10-12,000 miles? I mean the dirt particles have to go somewhere.

Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
^^^^

I don't live a particularly dusty area. Reading through my owners guides upon purchase, my last 3 Fords all had 30K mile air filter change recommendations. I change every 25K which is every 5th oil change. I haven't noticed a performance difference before or after the change.

Some of these filters such as the one in my '04 Expy is a large cone shaped filter and is actually quite spendy.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:28 AM
polarbear87
Junior User
I would think that your oil would be satturated by more carbon deposits and when the air filter is really clogged/not serviced or checked, you would potentially be burning oil wapor through the cdr valve or other types of positive crankcase valves and whatever air that passes through the dirt and filter
Not to mention the really baad mpg you would have, and if you did a MOT or any approval of the emmisions from the truck/car/van with a clogged filter you could get failed due to the emmisions would be off with 2-4 times a LOT more CO that the country/federal/state has set as an upper limit for an aproval

I experienced this my self with a crystler voyager with the 2.5l turbodiesel,

But if you dont care to service/check it then you are throwing dollars out the window beacause of potentially bad mpg and bigger expenses due to the motor oil wapor is not staying at the valves and returned to oil as it cools down, but beeing burnt inside the cylinder and burns to solid deposits, and making more resistance/strain on the engine and so on

Originally Posted by mpwbw
Whether it appears fine or not? I like the idea of using compressed air to blow particles out. My dad claims that his 00' Taurus went 55,000 miles before changing. It must have been black with soot by that time. Once I went 17,000 miles before a change, but another time I had a build-up of cobwebs for some reason and I replaced the factory air filter in my Ranger at like 9400 miles, or so. The real question is: if my air filter hasn't been changed in 15-20,000 miles, could that make my oil measurably more dirty than if I had changed the air filter at say, 10-12,000 miles? I mean the dirt particles have to go somewhere.

Last edited by polarbear87; 05-30-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-02-2014, 01:11 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
So, in theory, a dirty air filter could cause oil to be dirtier? I hate spending money tossing a good filter, but with the cost of today's gas, and/or replacing a PVC valve, or MAF sensor, the most cost effective thing for maintenance is changing the air filter. Thanks for the response.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:23 AM
polarbear87
Junior User
Usually it is enough to inspect it blow it clean from debris, and put it back as long as it doesnt look black or oily, or if there is debris packed between the filter, or you are getting bad milage, then i would consider an air filter change

Old 06-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Be careful blowing it out, you can blow a hole in the media and then your engine will get dusted pretty quick.
The proper way to check the filter is to look at it from the clean side against a light, like hold it up towards the lights. If some light shows through the bottom of the pleats, it's still ok. If it doesn't, then change it. I also tap mine a few times and if an excessive amount of fine dust drops out, it's new filter time as well.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:46 PM
polarbear87
Junior User
Sorry forgot to write that i have a reduction valve on my air compressor so i can reduce the air pressure down to about 4-5 bar, is not that im holding the air gun right at the filter media yoy have to keep a little distance, just like when your washing your car with high pressure u dont whash it whith the nozle close to the body do you

Old 06-03-2014, 02:48 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
The proper way to check the filter is to look at it from the clean side against a light, like hold it up towards the lights. If some light shows through the bottom of the pleats, it's still ok. If it doesn't, then change it. I also tap mine a few times and if an excessive amount of fine dust drops out, it's new filter time as well.
No kidding because my Dad does the light trick as well. I thought he was being cheap since the filter to the naked eye would look dirty, yet, he would keep it.