Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

Trailer Brake Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Bush Masterlm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer Brake Control Problems

OK, I purchased a 2011 F-450, I am crossing the scales at 28,100 lbs. My truck is having a problem stopping. I am not getting any kind of fault from TBC. I had a 2010 F-250 that pulled the same trailer and equipment with no problem. I upgraded so I would feel safer.

Problem.... When i have to brake hard the truck starts bouncing horribly, almost out of control! It seems as if the trailer is picking up the back end of the truck. I have tried to increase/decrease pin weight, had the suspension re worked, and nothing has stopped from doing this. I have the gain turned all the way up. On my old truck if it was turned all the way up I barley touched the brakes and the trailer wheels would lock up. Average setting under a load was 6.5 gain. New truck is maxed out and I don't feel any pull from trailer when I hit brakes but I am not getting any type of fault from TBC. If I manually activate TBC it still doesn't lock brakes on trailer. I hooked to other trucks to rule out trailer as problem and 3 trucks stop trailer on a dime. Issue seems to be with truck. Dealer pointed to suspension on truck and reworked it back to stock.(yes truck was used) I am the third owner of this truck and it only has 30,000 miles. I am assuming previous owners had same problem and gave up and traded in. Has anyone else had this problem? Sometimes it seems as if the rear end doesn't have any weight, even when not towing a trailer. This is my first dually so I am not as familiar with the 'ride'. Previous trucks ride like a cadillac under load, this truck rides rough! PLEASE HELP! Should I just go with aftermarket TBC or have dealer replace current stock one. Truck still under warranty. Again, I am getting no Faults in dash. THX!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YES! Dad's '11 F350 did the same thing. Ford couldn't find anything and blamed it on the trailer. He took it to another dealer that had seen the problem before. They put in a new controller and everything was fixed! That dealer said something about interference from the ABS stuff. Anyway, make them change the controller before the warranty is out!