Not getting oil to all rockers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 10:03 PM
Tennessee69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not getting oil to all rockers

Vehicle is a 1969 f100 with 300. 300 has casting numbers, I believe dates it as a 1966 block.

Heard ticking coming from motor, so I pulled valve cover. Saw that #1 exhuast rocker, #2 intake & exhuast and #3 exhuast rocker were not getting oil.

What I have done so far:
Pulled the rockers and push rods to check for clogs and they were clear.
Pulled oil pan and found a little slug, not much.
Change the oil pump since I was already in the pan, didn't change anything no oil to the same rockers.

Not sure where else to look for clogs, asking for any ideas.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm certainly not a subject matter expert...but is your oil pressure normal? See if you cant get your hands on a mechanical gauge and take a good reading. Clogged oil pickups, or a worn oil pump can cause pressure issues (with or without blockages.) If theres a ticking coming from the engine, you can use a mechanics stethescope to narrow down exactly where the noise is coming from so you can narrow down your focus. I have used lengths of garden hose before as well...works in a pinch. Are there any other abnormalities with the engine or how it runs? I'll look in my shop manual and see if i can find some other troubleshooting steps as well.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:55 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
From shop manual:
When the hyd lifter is on its base circle of the cam lobe, the oil hole in the hyd lifter is indexed with the oil gallery, and oil flows into the plunger. Oil is also metered thru the metering valve thru the passages in the push rod cup and it flows up the hollow pushrod. In this position, the drilled hole in the ball end of the pushrod is indexed with the drilled hole in the rocker arm, and the oil lubricates the upper valve train areas.

Judging by this....i'd say your likely culprit for lack of lube up top, and the noise you're hearing are the lifters. Just an educated guess. They can be pulled, dissassembled, and reinstalled. Just be sure to keep them in order, or you risk damaging the cam and/or your lifters with one key turn.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:03 PM
Tennessee69
New User
Engine runs fine except for the rockers I mention not getting oil. Oil pump is brand new. getting an oil pressure gauge to check pressure.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:06 PM
Tennessee69
New User
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
From shop manual:
When the hyd lifter is on its base circle of the cam lobe, the oil hole in the hyd lifter is indexed with the oil gallery, and oil flows into the plunger. Oil is also metered thru the metering valve thru the passages in the push rod cup and it flows up the hollow pushrod. In this position, the drilled hole in the ball end of the pushrod is indexed with the drilled hole in the rocker arm, and the oil lubricates the upper valve train areas.

Judging by this....i'd say your likely culprit for lack of lube up top, and the noise you're hearing are the lifters. Just an educated guess. They can be pulled, dissassembled, and reinstalled. Just be sure to keep them in order, or you risk damaging the cam and/or your lifters with one key turn.
Thanx for you help, I will clean the lifters and see if that works.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:34 AM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Re install the lifters collapsed, spin the engine with the starter to build up oil press (plugs out) until you cant wiggle the rocker arms.

There are You Tubes on disassembling and clean lifter body's.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:58 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Kinda odd that 3 lifters in a row would clog up. Sound more like an oil supply issue.
I'm not sure how the oil passages are laid out in the 300.......but could it be a cam bearing issue?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 AM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by tinman52
Kinda odd that 3 lifters in a row would clog up. Sound more like an oil supply issue.
I'm not sure how the oil passages are laid out in the 300.......but could it be a cam bearing issue?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 AM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
I thought it was interesting as well. Maybe something lodged in the oil supply gallery. Theres no way to tell without either tearing into it or maybe scoping it? Not sure on the ID" of that bore.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:47 AM
JimsRebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
What if you pulled all three lifters and spun the oil pump using a drill on the oil pump drive shaft to check for oil flow?

Old 05-25-2014, 11:58 AM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
That could help you determine whats going on. Heck of a lot better than pulling the motor apart lol. I used an old distributor that i had laying around...gutted it, cut down the aluminum shaft a bit...voila...diy priming tool.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
With the side cover off you should be able to determine any slop in the push rod caused by collapsed lifter ..

Old 05-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Tennessee69
New User
Originally Posted by tinman52
I was thinking that at first but #1 & #3 intake rockers are getting oil, so I'm leaning more towards a failed lifters

Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 AM
Tennessee69
New User
Thanx fellows,
Lifters had failed internally, changed them out and oil is following again.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:10 AM
dylansf23
Posting Guru
woo thank god, glad its all settled now!

Quick Reply: Not getting oil to all rockers