Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

Electrical Work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:47 PM
swirkus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Work?

My '73 F250 Camper Special has a brake light that won't work and I can't seem to find the break in the line. Its only the left side and its definitely not the bulb. I replaced the switch and blinker just in case, but that didn't make a difference. The taillight and turn signal both work, but the hazard and the brake light don't. I tow a trailer with it and its not working on the rear of the trailer, either. I've followed the wire as far as I could, but can't seem to find an issue. The wiring is all original and getting pretty brittle, so I've kind of been thinking about getting it rewired anyhow. I'm not an electrician and when I took a look at the wiring diagram in my manual I get nervous about jumping into a project like this. Do any of you know of a good automotive electrician you'd recommend? It sure is hard to find anyone who will work on these old trucks. I live in the South Kitsap area, but I'd take it anywhere in the Puget Sound area if I could find someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I think oddfordjunkie works on these model years but recently had a newborn so he may be busy. Would be a good place to start. Profile Click the link and send him a PM, he might be able to get you squared away.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
My bet is on the turn signal switch. It switches the power to that light bulb between brake light and turn signal.
It seems the wiring to the back of the truck is all good since the turn signal is the same bulb as the brake light.
So buy a new switch, pop the steering wheel off and put the new switch in there

Old 05-27-2014, 11:44 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Start cheap and simple.

A lot of the times the ground wire that goes from the bulb to the body behind the tailight has a bad connection.

Next would be the Bulb Socket, clean it out with electrical cleaner and a wire brush ( you can buy a cheap Bulb socket brush that is ball shaped)

Fuses, the panel takes 3 different styles of round fuse, replace them all with the correct ones.

Adjust the brake light switch at the pedal to make sure it's not pushed in so far that the lights won't turn on under light application of the brakes.

Do all this and report back.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:50 AM
swirkus
New User
Hey Josh,

Thanks for the advice! Turns out you were right about the turn signal switch. I would've never guessed the turn signal switch would have anything to do with the brake light.

Thanks again,
Scott

Old 06-19-2014, 06:17 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Start cheap and simple.

A lot of the times the ground wire that goes from the bulb to the body behind the tailight has a bad connection.

Next would be the Bulb Socket, clean it out with electrical cleaner and a wire brush ( you can buy a cheap Bulb socket brush that is ball shaped)

Fuses, the panel takes 3 different styles of round fuse, replace them all with the correct ones.

Adjust the brake light switch at the pedal to make sure it's not pushed in so far that the lights won't turn on under light application of the brakes.

Do all this and report back.
I'd agree here, I had an issue with my 78 bronco and the tail lights. However, my issue was 2 part. One was the PO cutting random wires around the truck. He snipped the wires for the brake lights, then taped them back together. That caused them to turn off after a bump and also caused me to get pulled over .

I fixed that, then noticed the sockets were real dirty and corroded. After cleaning everything works as it should! All it cost was stealing some Butt connectors from my brothers stereo tool box