Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is boost gauge necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:31 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
If you go with isspro or any other digital signal gauge it is a matter of running wires into the cab. No hoses. Isspro gauges match really well. People ask me if they are factory.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My opinion without reading where this thread has gone is boost is the least important gauge to have but still needed. Above boost I would put dual egt and fuel pressure. Just about everything else can be had by the OBDII port with the torque app and a dongle. Boost is covered by the OBD too but can be different then what a gauge will tell you so it's a roundabout thing based off the map sensor

Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
What significance does the fuel pressure give? I am guessing if your truck is demanding more fuel then your truck can put out?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Fuel pressure gauge can tell you when there is restriction in the tank, due to plugged screens, or the pick-up foot has fallen off. It can let you know ehn the fuel pump is on the way out, etc.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:29 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
What significance does the fuel pressure give? I am guessing if your truck is demanding more fuel then your truck can put out?
9 times out of ten you'll never know there's a problem with the fuel system if there is one. Fuel pressure can cause other things to be finicky but never point to itself.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
I've never monitored the boost gauge to check for low boost.
I wouldn't use the term "monitor" but rather, ya check it every-so-often when ya go WOT to make sure it's still boosting to the same level it regularly does.

I set the alarm at 30 so that I don't over work the turbo.
If a person has injectors and a tune that allows them to constantly run hard enough to push their stock turbo past the recommended threshold often enough and long enough to cause turbo problems, turbo problems will be the least of their worries.

A blown turbo can be just as destructive as a blown transmission, especially if it sends pieces into the engine.
Yep. And for most of us regular guys, a boost gauge isn't gonna help you determine if the turbo is being abused too much, indicating a possible problem that needs addressing. Not like, say, a fuel pressure gauge or a trans temp gauge or an exhaust gas temp gauge will.

A boost leak tester is what I use to check for leaks, not a boost gauge.
So you check your truck every-so-often with your detector?

I don't have a detector, but if I ever think I may not be making as much boost as normal, I'll just go WOT and look at my boost gauge, since that's all it's really good for as it applies to most of us on the road.

Lack of boost isn't just caused by a leak though, so keep that in mind too when it comes to observing less boost than what a person would normally see on their boost gauge.

Now granted, I'm not producing enough boost with my setup to be concerned, and I generally don't worry too much about it. The majority of guys here are in the same boat. Really, unless you have modified sticks, you're not getting more than 28-30 psi anyway. I guess that's why it's viewed, as Trey said, as a novelty.
Or as a way to monitor for lack of boost, not overboost, as you've already acknowledged in the bold part in the above paragraph.

Edit: without an over code regulator, the PCM will never allow boost to get that high anyway. When that is installed is when I recommend the gauge. Just my .02 though. The built in safety is being removed, an additional eye is needed.
As I posted above: If a person is subjecting their turbo to an overboost condition in a regular manner so as to possibly cause turbo problems, I assert that turbo problems will not be their primary concern.

Originally Posted by JT250
Fuel pressure has saved me many times. Boost has never saved me.
Yup.

Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
In a nutshell, generally speaking, much like a boost gauge showing low boost, it can alert you to a problem your truck is having.

Stewart

Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Sounds like an easy hook up. I guess I need to look into one then.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I spent $10 on a boost gauge.. 1 mechanical fit nicely in the little cut out 0-30. glad i only spent $10.. I never look at it. My wife calls it the money gauge because when that gauge moves so does the fuel gauge.

I also think the only gauges necessary is the Trans temp and the Pyro.. I like the ideo of duel Pyro which i might add someday. My eyes are stuck to those two only. Anything else i can get through AE if i need it.