1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

PTO/APCM/AIC Qs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PTO/APCM/AIC Qs

So I have ended up with three APCMs in my "project box". Obviously I only need one for my next project. I am looking to sell two and keep one. I am trying to decide which ones to part with.

Two are the standard APCMs (more advanced models with the screen) and one has the PTO option. (I have several versions of the FORD manuals but they do not answer all of my questions).

I am tempted to keep the PTO model because they seem to be more difficult to find vs the other models...but it seems to be the most used. Whereas the other one looks to be brand spankin' new (I pulled it from an ambulance my SO was scrapping)

Some other thoughts that were going through my mind about this:

The ZF5 comes with with provisions for a PTO (access plates). I have not seen (or maybe just missed) PTO plates on my old e4od...which is what my next project is going to be.
I guess I could always run the PTO off the x-fer case (assuming I had a 1356 case...if I remember correctly).

So my questions are:
Does the e4od come with PTO access plates like the zf5?
Does an OBS 7.3 F350 4x4 CC with an e4od come equipped with the PTO solenoid? (the solenoid controlled by the PTO button on the APCM)...or is the PTO solenoid on the actual PTO that would be installed?

the picture is difficult to read due the background so I will summarize:

top left: best condition. almost zero wear/tear. removed from E350 ambulance last week by me.

top right: PTO option. highest level of wear/tear of the three.

bottom: avg condition. avg wear/tear. PO shortened the control cable.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
I can't be much help on the PTOs on our trucks. The only PTOs I have been around are on larger tucks. They are controled by a slide cable, or air. On those you push in the clutch, wait for the tranny gears to stop spinning, then pull the cable or flip the air switch. I would assume the PTO would have to be controled the same way. That PTO button on the controler wouldn't be for the rpm you want the engine to run at (1200 rpms ect.) for the pto to turn at a certain speed? You push that button for the engine to run at the chosen speed after you set it?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by farmert
I can't be much help on the PTOs on our trucks. The only PTOs I have been around are on larger tucks. They are controled by a slide cable, or air. On those you push in the clutch, wait for the tranny gears to stop spinning, then pull the cable or flip the air switch. I would assume the PTO would have to be controled the same way. That PTO button on the controler wouldn't be for the rpm you want the engine to run at (1200 rpms ect.) for the pto to turn at a certain speed? You push that button for the engine to run at the chosen speed after you set it?
I am in the same boat as you. I have used a PTO on a larger truck (my 6x6 has PTO winch) but this system seems a little strange to me.

I cant answer the question that you asked at the moment....but I might be able to soon. I think I have found a newer version of the APCM manual that mentions the PTO button.

I will continue doing research