EFI manifolds vs headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
67nhft
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI manifolds vs headers

Wondering why so many people go with EFI exhaust manifolds instead of just getting a set of headers such as Hedmans......am I missing something?

Old 03-24-2014, 01:35 PM
TheDudeAbides
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 67nhft
Wondering why so many people go with EFI exhaust manifolds instead of just getting a set of headers such as Hedmans......am I missing something?
Similar flow characteristics but they can be had on the cheap from the salvage yard instead of spending a couple hundred bucks on the headers. Not to say one is better than the other, it just boils down to budget and personal preference IMO.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And the headers are usually a PITA. Cracking, breaking, excess heat in the engine compartment, and they severely limit access to the starter are some of the reasons why EFI manifolds may be preferred to headers.

Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 AM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Headers are better flow-wise, but only marginally. You won't notice a difference unless you're really pushing for maximum horsepower. A lot of people see the cost, risk, and maintenance involved with headers and say, "Nuh uh!" and go find themselves some EFI manifolds for cheap.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts
I have used a Hedman Header for uh ... three years. It completely blocks access to my starter, meaning if the starter fails I have to remove intake/exhaust manifolds. Also, I had a problem with it getting too hot under the hood and the fuel boiling in the carb. I had to install a heat shield. I'm also convinced the hot air is hurting my in town mpg, and am soon to go with a cold air intake.

I love the mean look of the header, but am changing to EFI soon. My only consolation is using a dual exhaust system with nice mean tone. k

Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the Hedmans. I think they're a big reason why my engine hesitates. I'll have them ceramic coated to fix that. I think a heat shield is a good idea as well. What boggles me though is that I don't understand how the free flowing Hedmans create more heat under the carburetor than the factory ram horn-type thing.

My starter is blocked too, but like you I didn't buy the 302 mini starter so to get at it, the headers have to come off. Oh well, mine's new. Should be a long time until I need to pull the headers for it.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the hedman header when I first did my rebuild they were great looked cool but developed too much heat under the hood it even travel into the cab I went through two starters I'm sure the header had a big effect on that

I said this is enough went on ebay bought a set of new efi mani's from Ford I tell you I couldn't tell the difference performance wise from headers to manifolds. I do like the manifolds I had the exhaust shop clear the starter so im happy with it.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Funke1
Senior User
Does anyone know if there will be any clearance issues with the efi manifolds on an e150? The alternator bracket curves around the log style manifold and I'm not sure if the efi manifolds would clear it.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:56 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Funke1
Does anyone know if there will be any clearance issues with the efi manifolds on an e150? The alternator bracket curves around the log style manifold and I'm not sure if the efi manifolds would clear it.

That's the alternator bracket from my original log manifold setup. There weren't any fitment issues.

As for going into a van, I don't see why not, but I've never done it.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:14 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy300
I had the hedman header when I first did my rebuild they were great looked cool but developed too much heat under the hood it even travel into the cab I went through two starters I'm sure the header had a big effect on that

I said this is enough went on ebay bought a set of new efi mani's from Ford I tell you I couldn't tell the difference performance wise from headers to manifolds. I do like the manifolds I had the exhaust shop clear the starter so im happy with it.
Really? You went through 2 starters? I've had mine on for 3+ years and have not changed 1 starter. However, I did buy a new one before I installed the header.

It will be nice to use the O2 sensor bungs that are oem on the efi's. That will make tuning a carb swift and easy. It would be interesting to find flow numbers for the Hedman and efi's. Certainly the Clifford header flows more with the 1 5/8" tubes, as opposed to the 1 1/2" of the Hedman.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 PM
fordboy300
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
Really? You went through 2 starters? I've had mine on for 3+ years and have not changed 1 starter. However, I did buy a new one before I installed the header.

It will be nice to use the O2 sensor bungs that are oem on the efi's. That will make tuning a carb swift and easy. It would be interesting to find flow numbers for the Hedman and efi's. Certainly the Clifford header flows more with the 1 5/8" tubes, as opposed to the 1 1/2" of the Hedman.
Yes I went threw two starters the second one is kinda weird it looks perfectly fine but it seems to be seized internally or something luckily I saved the starter from when it was stock put the sucker on and like butter it turned over.

I would love to try the wideband my carb is currently fuel fouling the plugs I talked to one of my friends who rebuilt my carb he said we would have to probably change the jets on it or I had in mind on getting a Holley 465cfm

Old 03-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Funke1
Senior User
Abandonedbronco, your alternator bracket is different from mine. I read that the bracket needs to modified or replaced on Econolines when using aftermarket headers, so I was wondering if the same is true for the efi manifolds.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:28 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Ok, I wasn't sure if they were all the same. Either way, it should just be three bolts to unbolt one bracket and put on another. May have to scrounge it from a junk yard.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:05 AM
raven3
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prefer the EFI manifolds because it creates more back pressure for added torque.
The truck is used for hauling heavy loads. Use dual 1-1/4" tail pipe.
If looking for HP rather than torque would have a V8 302 rather than a L6 300.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM
jack orchard
Tuned
Originally Posted by raven3
Prefer the EFI manifolds because it creates more back pressure for added torque.
The truck is used for hauling heavy loads. Use dual 1-1/4" tail pipe.

Did you mean 2 1/4" or was 1 1/4" correct? Just curious....jack

Quick Reply: EFI manifolds vs headers