Aerostar Ford Aerostar

92 aerostar serpentine belt HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 08:56 PM
aime
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 92 aerostar serpentine belt HELP!

Hi, I'm new here, but a thread about a serpentine belt replacement really caught my attention (frustration, pics and all!). I am having a similar problem trying to replace a serpentine belt on my 92 aerostar - I have the correct belt, I have the correct routing - BUT I cannot get the tensioner pulley to move so I can gain enough slack to get the belt on (the previous belt broke) Help please!

aime

Old 07-01-2003, 11:44 PM
JeffMasonCO
Junior User

Just to make sure we are on the same page, on my 1996 Aerostar (4.0l), there is an idler pulley and a tensioner pulley. The idler pulley is near the top of the engine between the alternator and the ac compressor. The belt goes under the idler pulley and over the AC and alternator. This is not adjustable.

Under the alternator and between the alternator and the Crankshaft is the tensioner pully. On the 96, there is a 3/8 inch square hole in about the middle. Put your arm down in there and feel around, you should pick up the box shape pretty easily. If you put a 3/8 inch socket in there, and push the socket towards the aircleaner (passenger side of the aerostar), the pulley should move towards the driver side of the engine. If you get directions mixed up and try to push the socket towards the drivers side, it shouldn't move because it is already maxxed out on adjustment (with the belt off, the tensioner should automatically spring all the way out. My aerostar has a nice little diagram under the hood that shows the routing and the location of the tensioner and idler.

You may already know all of that. If so, and the tensioner is not moving in the right direction, then all I could think of is that it is frozen/warped or otherwise broken. I am not sure how that would happen, it would seem more likely that a bearing in the actual pulley would go out before the tensioner mechanism freezes.

Can you provide more info to help?

*edit*

I found it easiest to thread the new belt up from underneath, working first to get as much of the belt to the top of the engine compartment as possible. I laid on my back on the garage floor and threaded it up between the crankshaft and the inside of the tensioner (while my brother stood up topside and pulled the belt up). After he had a hold of it, we started to work the belt to the outside of the tensioner, over the alternator, around the crankshaft, looped around the water pump and around the power steering and the ac compressor. You do NOT need to put the belt around the fan itself (like you would with an old-style fan belt) Once we made sure that the belt did not fall off the crankshaft - gravity has a tendency to pull the belt around - we reversed directions on the rathet and pulled the tensioner in to get the belt on it. We then slid the belt under the idler pully, since it was at the top and was easy to reach. Before we started it up, I visually inspected the routing to make ure the belt was lined up on all pulleys.

Chiltons does have a good diagram of the belt routing, but their directions for changing the belt sucks.

Last edited by JeffMasonCO; 07-01-2003 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:30 AM
myvan
Junior User

Hi. I know on my '94 with 3.0L that you have to tighten the alternator to tighten the belt. The idler is permanant and is not actually a tensioner on mine.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:42 AM
aerostarman2002
Senior User

On my 1992...

There are two serpetine belts... the alternator/waterpump/ac compressor is one belt. That one is the front most belt. there is no tensioner on that belt the thing you thought was a tenaioner is just for belt routing and does not move left or right to adjust belt tension. That belt has to be tightened by the alternator.

The back belt, however, (Powersteering/waterpump...) does have an adjustable tensioner on it. it is mounted on the powersteering poump bracket, and has bolts on it that must be loosened, then you put on the belt and get it tight (use a 3/4 inch, i think, but it may be 3/8 inch ratchet handle in the square hole on the tensioner bracket)... then, while keeping tension on the belt, tighten up the bolts (may help to have two people for that...) run the van a while come back and re-tension the belts... hope this helps...

-Mike-

Last edited by aerostarman2002; 07-02-2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:13 PM
reever
Elder User

Never fear, #1 of 2 "Serpentine Belt Boys" is here!!!!
Go back and look at the thread with the pictures, There is a great drawing nestled in all of that information.
As stated above , the power steering belt has an adjustable tensioner.
The larger serpentine belt(a/c, alternator,water pump etc.) is tensioned by the alternator!
Read and re-read the aforementioned thread. You will be an expert when you are done!
Good luck!
reever

Old 07-02-2003, 11:46 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.0L & 4.0L engines are not the same and the belts are quite different. On the 4.0 the tensioner adjusts slack out of the belt like a 5.0L does, but 3.0L uses a sliding alternator adjustment.

Since aime didn't say whether he has a 3.0L or 4.0L engine how can we say what to do?

Sometimes the tensioner on the 4.0L hyperextends & appears to need to be loaded in one direction but actually needs to be loaded back in the other direction. The reason it appears to be stuck is it's up against it's stop in the fully unloaded position. . .

Reall need to know whoich engine he has in his 92 Aerostar.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:45 AM
reever
Elder User

You are absolutely correct FORDBOYpete. I made an assumption about the engine in his '92. I have the 3.0 and never even looked at a 4 litre.
So with that all behind us, Aime, let the board know what ya got, and I guarantee someone will be able to help.

reever

Old 07-03-2003, 05:51 PM
aerostarman2002
Senior User

I did the same... I haven't seen a 4.0 either, so I didn't know that it was any different...

Old 07-05-2003, 09:07 AM
aime
New User

Thanks all! I will get at it today to find the answers - I think it is a 3.0 and it is the belt that is on the alternator - I just can't get it to adjust to get the belt on. I am truly a newbie - I've only done my own oil changes! A local mechanic was kind enough to give me the routing as it was missing off my hood. Thanks again - I'll get back to you with my results/questions.
Aime

Old 07-05-2003, 02:31 PM
aime
New User

Ok. Here's the scoop. I have a '93 extended van with a 3.0 engine, manufactured 11/93 (my face is red - I thought it was a '92). I referred back to the infamous serpentine thread and viewed the pics and diagrams I appear to have the belt routed correctly. I bought the part at NAPA, part #640K6 also has 506064DR, appears to be the same as the one that broke off. (It is the belt that goes around the alternator - not the smaller one that has the tensioner pulley) I called NAPA they assured me it is the correct part.

I have loosened the bolt on the sliding alternator adjuster. From the name I am guessing this should "slide" - Mine doesn't budge. It appears to be in the top position - just like the one in the pic in the other thread.

This van has been sitting unused for a year (fortunately, I have another car) - my brothers assured me they would come help - but were simply too busy. I finally gave up on them and decided to do it myself. I have had to liquid wrench to get some of the rusty bolts loose - which certainly could be contributing to my problem! I simply can't see what should be moving to get this belt on.

I am still obstinate enough (and determined to prove something to my brothers who shall remain in the doghouse until I solve this) to think with your help I can do this....So the challenge is on - I do not want to tow this van!

Thanks for your help!!
Aime

Old 07-05-2003, 03:59 PM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aime, try this. . . .

Using a reasonable sized breaker bar & a 6 point socket if you have one, place the socket squarely on the Bolt that holds & locks the Alternator in its' bracket, [it's MOL opposite the location of the "sliding adjuster bolt" about 180 degrees around the Alt from the ajuster.

Once positioned give the breaker bar a "smart" or a "quick" rap with your palm so as to cause the "energy shock" you put in the breaker to "pop" [break] the holding bolt loose. Watch out for what you may punch/hit if it breaks loose easily tho!

Pulling or pushing on the bar will seem almost futile & when/if the bolt breaks free it can mean hand injury, so "Pop" the sucker instead.

Once you break it free back it out a turn or 2 & apply some dielectric lubricant or Ford Gen Purpose silicone lube around the head of the bolt where it seats on the bracket, & where the Alt case is seamed against the bracket. If you don't have either lube, you can use regular lubes/ oils but the bolt most likely will re sieze in time.

Anyway, your alternator is most likely stuck between the clamping force of the large mounting/pivot bolt & the corrosion caused by the 2 or 3 metals involved at the Alternator mount bracket. . . .let me know how y'all make out Okay? FBp

Old 07-05-2003, 06:37 PM
aime
New User

Thanks Fordboy Pete! I'll give it a go in the morning.
Aime

Old 07-05-2003, 06:55 PM
myvan
Junior User

Hello Aime. i have been looking around in here this p[ast week and see you are still preparing to do your big belt. I have done mine a couple times. I have a '94 with 3.0L. Sounds like you loosened that alternator ajusting bolt, the bolt head faces front, and goes through a square block about an inch square. Once thats slack then you see the really long threaded bolt (must be 4 to 6 inches if I remember right). That long bolt also goes through that inch square block, but up and down direction. You need to back that bolt off to lower the alternator enough to get the belt onto the alternator, then tighten it back up again. Then secure that adjuster block again. If I am right, it should be a 10mm socket. This is if you're '93 is same as my '94.

Old 07-07-2003, 05:36 AM
reever
Elder User

Hey Aime, Hopefully you are done, If not ,allow me to add to the rest of the suggestions.
I also have a '93-3.0. As stated above , there are two points of adjustment on the Alternator,
The first is the long bolt thru the 1 inch square block facing the front of the van.
The second is the "Pivot" bolt. On my van, it is on the lower backside of the alternator, and somewhat difficult to get to.
You must loosen the "Pivot" bolt first. This will allow the alternator to move left to right on an arc, hence the term pivot.
Once that is loose, then loosen the long adjusting bolt in front of the alternator. Now you can move the alternator left to right(pivot), and up and down (tensioner).
At this point just put the belt back on, using either the routing from the mechanic, the infamous "belt" thread, or from a manual.
From doing this change myself, and "talking" to peeps on this site, the #1 mistake made is the belt going around the idler.
everyone screws that up!!!
So, with all of that said, double back to the belt thread, and look at the scanned manual picture. That is the best view I have seen.
You will have no problems with the belt

This is assuming you got that D*#m$d alternator loosened up!!!!

Good luck
reever