351M intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351M intake gasket

I have had a bit of an issue. I put an aftermarket intake on my 78 bronco and the gasket I used was being pushed up by the small little pegs on the heads. I've read these are some kind of alignment pegs, anyways I'm wondering if there is some kind of gasket to go around these, or, maybe I can grind them flat? The gasket gets pushed up, ruined, and leaks. Another thing I thought about is putting Cleveland heads on it, would I run into the same issue? Anywaus, thanks guys.

P.S. I did try a search, nothing came up regarding these pegs

Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're using the metal valley pan gasket, yes?

Those little "pegs" - one on the top of each opposing head, diagonally from each other, are there to insure the metal valley pan gasket doesn't move UP when it's first put in. The gasket goes under those pegs. You're lucky you still have them.

I like to slightly pre bend the valley pan gasket and trial fit it, put RTV on both sides of the gasket - around those little indentations for intake and exhaust, etc. I don't use those little "s" type rubber gaskets - I don't think many people do.

Instead, run a 0.25" thick bead of RTV along the block where those "S" gaskets would go, and up the heads a little bit. Wait for it to breathe, or skim over - about 10 - 15 minutes. Probably do this first, then RTV the gasket, set it in place, a little more RTV along the mating surfaces, install intake, snug it down, have a quick beverage, then torque to specs in sequence.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Filthy, thanks for the info, however I am not using said pan. Before I removed the oem cast intake, I was told not to use the valley pan with an aftermarket aluminum one seeing as it wouldn't fit or something.

In terms of the S gasket on the front/back of the block, I did not use them and I regret that. That is one of the smaller areas where I've got a leak as well, there was quite a gap between there and the intake, I put a nice thick bead on it, let it sit a few, and put the rest together. The bead of rtv wasn't enough. I've heard mixed reviews on using them and the next go around with it I'll probably try them out.

I'm in no hurry since it will still run and drive, I've also got the entire brake system to rebuild since it leaks from almost everywhere.

For the record, it is an EdleBrock Performer 400 aluminum intake. It fits, it runs well sometimes, just a sealing issue from these pegs (and the front/back)

Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
You have the "paper" type gaskets then, yes?
Maybe you could punch a hole in the gaskets where the pegs are so they set better? The intake manifold isn't too close to those pegs, anyway. Good luck.

By the way, I run the tin pan on my 400, and have a Weiand aluminum intake, no problems.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:41 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Paper type as in the cheapie from autozone, yes haha. I was, am, and will be strapped for cash for the rest of my life. I don't have a girlfriend, just 2 project vehicles. I spend a lot on those.

Anyways I forget the purpose of the valley pan, it had to do with oil right? The one that came off my intake was in pretty bad shape.

When I put the new gaskets on I hadn't realized the pegs would make a big deal. Next time I will cut around them if I have too.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
I can relate to a limited income...good luck to you, me and every one else in this country that's in the same boat!

Yes, sir - the cake pan keeps the hot oil from sloshing/squirting on the bottom of the intake and keeps it slightly cooler. It also holds the sloshing oil down closer to the return holes.

Good luck, my friend.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ah that makes sense. Maybe I'll look at picking one up and throwing it on.