6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bilstein 4600 or 5100 Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Mine's only a 2wd truck but I have had the 4600's on for 150K+ miles now with no issues and with the roads around here being basically like off pavement driving they ride great. Smooth as a baby's behind.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:01 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
From the Bilstein website;

"Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Absorbers are high gas pressure monotube shocks designed specifically for lifted pickups, SUVs and Jeeps. The shocks feature a 46mm digressive piston with self-adjusting deflective disc valving. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling or occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional street ride. (zinc-plated steel body, Triple-C-Technology coating )"

"Bilstein 4600 Series Shock Absorbers and Struts are designed specifically to help your truck, van or SUV reach its pinnacle in ride performance and handling, while still providing the comfortable ride that has come to be expected from the name BILSTEIN. A 4600 Series equipped vehicle offers superior control compared to conventional alternatives, allowing you to keep cargo secure-from your kids to work equipment, mile after mile. Utilizing our patented design, the dampers allow the vehicle to glide over every type of road surface you may encounter while maintaining complete command at all times. These dampers are the least expensive and most effective upgrade to extend the service life of any vehicle out on the road today."

There are 5100's for stock height as well as lifted trucks. Nowhere in their description does it say the 5100's are for racing.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Golfdock
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my rancho 9000's.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:30 PM
bbender85
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 02-25-2014, 03:37 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by jsm180
From the Bilstein website;

"Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Absorbers are high gas pressure monotube shocks designed specifically for lifted pickups, SUVs and Jeeps. The shocks feature a 46mm digressive piston with self-adjusting deflective disc valving. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling or occasional off-road use, while maintaining an exceptional street ride. (zinc-plated steel body, Triple-C-Technology coating )"

"Bilstein 4600 Series Shock Absorbers and Struts are designed specifically to help your truck, van or SUV reach its pinnacle in ride performance and handling, while still providing the comfortable ride that has come to be expected from the name BILSTEIN. A 4600 Series equipped vehicle offers superior control compared to conventional alternatives, allowing you to keep cargo secure-from your kids to work equipment, mile after mile. Utilizing our patented design, the dampers allow the vehicle to glide over every type of road surface you may encounter while maintaining complete command at all times. These dampers are the least expensive and most effective upgrade to extend the service life of any vehicle out on the road today."

There are 5100's for stock height as well as lifted trucks. Nowhere in their description does it say the 5100's are for racing.
I'll admit that the Bilstein USA web site is not very clear about the design intent of their products. Probably done intentionally. So I will just add these graphics from one of their major resellers web sites. I don't think they use verbiage like this to describe the products without the consent of Bilstein.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I paid the extra $10 each for the 5100's.

They keep Tonka under control when I'm driving in, shall we say, a "spirited" manner.

The freeway ride has always been relatively decent with this truck, even on the stock junkers. Where the 5100's make the difference is when you go over a bridge-deck transistion pad, especially in a corner, and the truck naturally wants to jump because of how the road is built. The stockers had the truck all over the road, whereas with the 5100's, you hardly even notice; it stays planted.

I always got the impression that despite being an "offroad" - labelled shock, the 5100's were designed for the purpose of keeping mall-crawlers from bouncing around until they bounced off the highways; which they do with aplomb.

But don't ever think that they'll cover up bad pavement. NOTHING but air-ride will "cover up" pavement that the state refuses to even acknowledge as sub-par, much less repair.

(The cities in the Dallas/Fort-Worth area all use short-slab concrete for their intermediate-connector roads, and it's all 30 years old, and deteriorating. On more than one occasion I've toyed with the idea of getting another vehicle because it's so bloody tiresome being beaten to DEATH when going to get groceries. (any local should try driving Belt Line in Irving with a full cup of coffee. I DARE you to try it and not wear said coffee... )

But then I get Tonka back out on the open freeway and it's so smooth that I have to fight falling asleep, and thus must remind myself on a daily basis: It's not your truck, it's the crappy roads, stupid!)

-blaine

Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Still running my stock crap ranchos atc110k. I dont know how you guys are going threw shocks, my are fine.
I dont have a bounce issue either.... but hang a big replacement cattle pusher on the front and they dont get all bouncy

Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 PM
xaviar
Elder User

Originally Posted by cheezit
Still running my stock crap ranchos atc110k. I dont know how you guys are going threw shocks, my are fine.
I dont have a bounce issue either.... but hang a big replacement cattle pusher on the front and they dont get all bouncy
What series of Rancho shocks 5K, 7K etc..did ford put on our trucks. Like you Cheezit, I still have the stockers on my truck and their toast. My truck rides rough. I had 5100's on my duelly and liked them. But now with the TT and towing 10K about every 2 weeks camping I think the 4600's are better??

I wonder if rancho will replace my stockers for free

Old 02-25-2014, 09:34 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
They were just junk ranchos so far as I know. But mine seems to riide fine with the cattle guard

Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
I paid the extra $10 each for the 5100's. They keep Tonka under control when I'm driving in, shall we say, a "spirited" manner. The freeway ride has always been relatively decent with this truck, even on the stock junkers. Where the 5100's make the difference is when you go over a bridge-deck transistion pad, especially in a corner, and the truck naturally wants to jump because of how the road is built. The stockers had the truck all over the road, whereas with the 5100's, you hardly even notice; it stays planted. I always got the impression that despite being an "offroad" - labelled shock, the 5100's were designed for the purpose of keeping mall-crawlers from bouncing around until they bounced off the highways; which they do with aplomb. But don't ever think that they'll cover up bad pavement. NOTHING but air-ride will "cover up" pavement that the state refuses to even acknowledge as sub-par, much less repair. (The cities in the Dallas/Fort-Worth area all use short-slab concrete for their intermediate-connector roads, and it's all 30 years old, and deteriorating. On more than one occasion I've toyed with the idea of getting another vehicle because it's so bloody tiresome being beaten to DEATH when going to get groceries. (any local should try driving Belt Line in Irving with a full cup of coffee. I DARE you to try it and not wear said coffee... ) But then I get Tonka back out on the open freeway and it's so smooth that I have to fight falling asleep, and thus must remind myself on a daily basis: It's not your truck, it's the crappy roads, stupid!) -blaine
If u thought Dallas Fort Worth is bad, u ain't tried driving thru Houston yet. Lol. Good god, it's like an off-road adventure. Lmao!

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cheezit
They were just junk ranchos so far as I know. But mine seems to riide fine with the cattle guard
Mine is 4x4 which means my originals were the sh**ty monroes. I think no matter how bad ranchos or bilsteins can get, I'm sure y'all will agree with me when I say it don't get any worse than a Monroe. Lol.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 AM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by xaviar
What series of Rancho shocks 5K, 7K etc..did ford put on our trucks. Like you Cheezit, I still have the stockers on my truck and their toast. My truck rides rough. I had 5100's on my duelly and liked them. But now with the TT and towing 10K about every 2 weeks camping I think the 4600's are better??
Ford put Rancho stickers and cheap red plastic boots on their in-house factory shocks. Thus damaging both brands in the process.

I wonder if rancho will replace my stockers for free
Uh..... NO.

-blaine

Old 02-26-2014, 05:47 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Tenneco Inc. is the parent company of both Rancho and Monroe.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:29 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never bought a set of "junk" Ranchos. I have always bought 5000s for my half tons and 9000s for my one tons. They last for ever and ride great.
There must be a difference between Ford factory Ranchos and a real set. At least I could tell a difference in ride.