1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks
View Poll Results: If you agree that Pickett State Park will work, which month(s) you prefer (you may vote for more tha
June 2015
33.33%
July 2015
33.33%
August 2015
25.00%
September 2015
91.67%
No way, this place won't work
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Truckstock 2015

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
That's right, no voter suppression tactics here. Besides that, Bob, if you don't vote ...you can't complain.
I'd vote but it's so far in the future and although I live a fairly simple life there always seems to be someone trying to throw a wrench into my plans. I think I'll just sit back for a while and see how it all plays out. I wouldn't mind taking a trip in the F-2 to TN.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 PM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
If someone mentioned it I missed the post.Several of the cabins do not have Central heat or air. I don't know if they don't have heat and air period or what. That might make a huge difference in the months we might be interested in going. It looks like a great place

Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by larryb346
If someone mentioned it I missed the post.Several of the cabins do not have Central heat or air. I don't know if they don't have heat and air period or what. That might make a huge difference in the months we might be interested in going. It looks like a great place
Larry, the only cabins that don't have Central heat and air are the Rustic Cabins #1-5. They do have fireplaces and electric heaters, I can check to see if they have window ac units.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 AM
larryb346
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
HI Joe
Yea those were the ones I noticed didn't have air listed. They looked so neat I would think a lot of people might want to stay there. Looks like you found a great place.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:05 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by larryb346
HI Joe
Yea those were the ones I noticed didn't have air listed. They looked so neat I would think a lot of people might want to stay there. Looks like you found a great place.
I checked with the park this morning. the Rustic Cabin's 1-5 have electric heaters and fans, but no A/C. Since it seems so far that September is the likely time for Truckstock 15, I don't believe that the lack of A/C will be a major concern. Remember also, that this is on the Cumberland Plateau, elevation 1500'+.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:27 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
The place looks like a very nice spot and being 2015 would give me plenty of time to know that things are running well. I would like to meet up with all of you some time, this would be an awesome chance. Looks like September has the most interest which would likely suit me too.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:50 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, it's been a long time since we talked about Truckstock 2015 on here, and I wanted to wait until Truckfest was Finished before I brought it up here again.

While we were at Truckstock 2014 in Ohio back in June the subject of Pickett State Park not having a restaurant was pointed out by a few members in attendance. Regardless of our 'plans' we all were happy to have a place to gather for breakfast right where we were staying. So that sent me looking for another option. Cumberland Mountain State Park in Crossville, TN is about 28 miles from home, has several cabins and a nice restaurant in the park. The park is bigger and has lots of cabins, although they are all pretty close together and the park is rather busy, but when I talked to the folks at the park, I was informed that the restaurant is no longer open for breakfast. They, like the others won't 'block off' any cabins or hold them until they receive a deposit on each.
I also noticed in Ohio, that although a lot of folks 'talked' about renting a cabin, in the end 'Doc' was the only one that did, while all the rest of the folks instead chose to reserve rooms at the Inn. With this in mind, I looked at another alternative, Fall Creek Falls State Park ? Tennessee State Parks which is located about midway between, Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga.

The park has an INN Fall Creek Falls State Park ? Tennessee State Parks which also has a restaurant which is open 7 days a week. They are willing to block off rooms for us and then individual reservations may be made. I was hoping for Sept. 11-13 but they have an event that weekend and the place is booked, so Sept. 18-20 would be our weekend. The rate with taxes for a room would be $99.24 (unless you are 62 or older, in which case it would be $89.32) They also offer a 10% senior discount in the restaurant for us guys as old as our trucks lol.
BTW, this park does also have 32 Cabins but they are large cabins sleeping 8-10 people, and over 200 campsites.
OK, just looking for some feedback from the guys on this.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Joe I know that you have been planning on doing a 2015 meet , and I don't want to step on your toes . I have also been doing some digging for a place in North Ga . I think that The Ridges Resort and Marina in Hiawassee would work out for a great meet . Anyone that wants could go to their web site and let me know what you think . Rooms would run about 140 a night with a hot Breakfast . They have fire pits by the water and places to sit . Also a privet dinning room If we had enough interest , Restaurant on site , also boat and jet ski rentals . Great roads and good views . Again you have first shot at getting something going , I can wait until 2016 . The Ridges is very much like the place we went in Ohio . Chris hit a home run picking that place .

Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Just my 2¢ on the subject, both of your suggested locations, according to Google maps, is less than 150 miles apart. That's a easy drive for most FTErs. The majority attendees to Dairyland Truckfest drove quite a bit farther than that.

What I am saying is if you both were to decide to do the event at the same time, or even two separate times, spring and fall, you most likely would be drawing from the same pool of members. This isn't a totally bad idea but I would imagine most members would only be able to make one event. I know from talking to Doc and Rob, and now my own experience, that there are members who at the beginning are willing to attend but then life and finances step in and change their plans. I just think if you were to draw from the same pool you would limit the number of members able to attend both. If you were do it different years then it probably work out better.

I've mentioned numerous times here and at the meets, it would be nice if meets would be held at the same time, or at different times, but in distinctly different locations. If the meets were held 500-600+ miles apart then I think the pool wouldn't over lap and you would be able to accommodate members who live in different parts of the country would can't afford the expense and time to travel greater distances.

Just a thought for other members who have the space or location that could accommodate a moderate group of people. I had about 15 or so members and their families at my event and it was a great group. It was fairly easy to accommodate, kind of the size of a kid's birthday party with a few more activities. I think if someone in IA would hold a meet I'd would surely be able to make it but wouldn't be able to trave to GA although I'd love to take the F-2 for the drive, I just wouldn't have the time. I just checked Google and it would be a 12+ hour drive in a normal car on the interstate, multiply that by 2 for the F-2 on the back roads.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:38 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by DR Smith
Joe I know that you have been planning on doing a 2015 meet , and I don't want to step on your toes . I have also been doing some digging for a place in North Ga . I think that The Ridges Resort and Marina in Hiawassee would work out for a great meet . Anyone that wants could go to their web site and let me know what you think . Rooms would run about 140 a night with a hot Breakfast . They have fire pits by the water and places to sit . Also a privet dinning room If we had enough interest , Restaurant on site , also boat and jet ski rentals . Great roads and good views . Again you have first shot at getting something going , I can wait until 2016 . The Ridges is very much like the place we went in Ohio . Chris hit a home run picking that place .
Dave, Patti has been talking about wanting to go to Hiawassee ever since she went there with a neighbor two years ago. She wasn't at the resort, but she loved that whole area. I'd have no problem backing off if you are set to go. Let's see what the guys say.