2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C, Fan, Air noise in one

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:40 AM
cobenson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C, Fan, Air noise in one

Hello All,

I have a 2007 F150 with a 5.4. I am having an issue with my A/C and more.

Here are the symptoms:

1) A/C doesn't blow cold, at times.
2) Compressor not coming on, according to mechanic.
3) Engine sounds like a freight train, at times. Like on a super cold day and it has to work hard.
4) Very poor fuel mileage since this started.

I took it to a shop, and they said it was the engine cooling fan that would not come on. So I replaced it. Same issue. I then took it back and was told there is a wiring problem. After 3 days they couldn't find it. I needed my truck back and dropped it off again. Then they said it was the A/C compressor, maybe. They wanted to try it and then see what happened. I told them no way. I am not spending another $500 on a maybe. So, here I am. Any suggestions?

Temperature, according to the gauge is good. Noise comes and goes. Not dependent on anything. Weather, temperature, car heated up or dead cold. Just comes and goes.

Thank you in advance.

Corey

Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't want to "throw parts" either. What kind of "shop" did you take it too? Do they know how to work on HVAC?

"1) A/C doesn't blow cold, at times.
2) Compressor not coming on, according to mechanic."

Those two go hand in hand. An inoperative fan would aggravate the issue.(But not anymore.)

"3) Engine sounds like a freight train, at times. Like on a super cold day and it has to work hard.
4) Very poor fuel mileage since this started."

You could remove your serpentine belt and check that all the pulleys are operating freely. It is possible the AC compressor clutch is dragging/worn out. That might also go with #1 & 2 above, but I'm NOT an HVAC expert.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 AM
cobenson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mechanic in question is Firestone. they have worked on this truck since I bought it new. They have their certified HVAC techs, so I would assume they know what is going on. I have never had an issue before with them so don't want to throw them under the bus at all.

I also don't want to just throw good money at something and guess what might be the problem. I know Ford has had issues with the plugs on the compressors too.

I am a little nervous about replacing the compressor because they told me the compressor was fine and it was a wiring issue. Then 3 days later, it isn't a wiring issue, it is the compressor. Then when I went and picked it up, the mechanic said it might be a wiring issue or the compressor. He wasn't sure.

guess I will drop the beast off at the dealer and let the experts have a go at her.

Originally Posted by 60DRB
I wouldn't want to "throw parts" either. What kind of "shop" did you take it too? Do they know how to work on HVAC?

"1) A/C doesn't blow cold, at times.
2) Compressor not coming on, according to mechanic."

Those two go hand in hand. An inoperative fan would aggravate the issue.(But not anymore.)

"3) Engine sounds like a freight train, at times. Like on a super cold day and it has to work hard.
4) Very poor fuel mileage since this started."

You could remove your serpentine belt and check that all the pulleys are operating freely. It is possible the AC compressor clutch is dragging/worn out. That might also go with #1 & 2 above, but I'm NOT an HVAC expert.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM
1saxman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2007 has a clutch fan and I have AC. The 'freight train' noise might be the fan roaring if its not clutching out properly, and this costs you gas, which is the reason for the clutch in the first place.
With any AC, low gas pressure will lock out the compressor to protect it. My first thought on the cooling issue was low gas.
Whatever, there are two things to check that don't take an engineer to determine. Also, several of us have noticed on the 2007 that sometimes the AC does not engage right away when you switch it on - it will blow hot air for a minute or two before the compressor kicks in. I don't think there is anything 'wrong', its just the way its set up for some reason.
BTW, is it warm enough for AC where you are? They also have low temp lockouts to protect the compressor.