1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What brand of injector cleaner / additive do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM
mrsvegan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What brand of injector cleaner / additive do you use?

What brand of injector cleaner / fuel additive do you use? My brother swears by Lucas. What are your thoughts?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:23 AM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Dk

I have always ran the Diesel Klean in the white bottle, it has the anti gel as well for winter, which is pretty much year round here in MT..... No experience with the Lucas product however.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Shade
Senior User
I've always run Diesel Kleen as well but I use the grey bottle. I've heard that it can be bad if you run it too often but I've never had a problem using a bottle once a month or so.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 526 Likes on 352 Posts
I'm still trying to get my brother-in-law who runs a pipeline distribution station in Spokane to get the Exxon numbers on lubricity and cetane for the diesel we use. In the meantime, since he's told me the lubricity is not what it was before ULSD, I've been adding 1oz per gallon of ashless 2 cycle oil (walmart), to each tank.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I use Diesel Kleen grey. I actually think this product boosts my mpg up by at least 1 mpg. My only complaint is that once the bottle is open it is hard to put the lid back on and keep it from leaking.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
There's lubricity and there's cetane boost. I focus on both, because ULSD is low in both counts. While talking with those in the business, I learned that the state of Washington has 5% bio in our fuel mix, which helps with lubricity but not cetane. I have been using the Motorcraft fuel additive, but my next purchase will be Stanadyne (it's in every diesel repair shop I've visited and it's highly recommended). Diesel Kleen is popular on this forum, but it is lacking in lubricity. Winter mix is a good idea in cold weather, to prevent gelling.

I keep my additive in an old bottle of Sta-bil under the hood, it measures the additive in one-ounce increments and I know how much I need per 5 gallons of fuel.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
There's lubricity and there's cetane boost. I focus on both, because ULSD is low in both counts. While talking with those in the business, I learned that the state of Washington has 5% bio in our fuel mix, which helps with lubricity but not cetane. I have been using the Motorcraft fuel additive, but my next purchase will be Stanadyne (it's in every diesel repair shop I've visited and it's highly recommended). Diesel Kleen is popular on this forum, but it is lacking in lubricity. Winter mix is a good idea in cold weather, to prevent gelling.

I keep my additive in an old bottle of Sta-bil under the hood, it measures the additive in one-ounce increments and I know how much I need per 5 gallons of fuel.
You keep it under your hood?

Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
You keep it under your hood?
Next to the battery, it fits nice. I used to keep it in the cab, but it sometimes dripped and stunk up the place.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:37 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I keep an old quart oil bottle that has the sight glass and measurement increments. I measure the required dose of Diesel Kleen (color of bottle depends on season), then fill the bottle up with TCW3 2-cycle oil. Cetane rating boost AND lubricity.

I used Lucas for a while. It tends to be expensive, but it quiets the injectors down nicely.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:59 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Stanadyne, Lubricity study and Bio Diesel

I've been using Diesel Kleen in the white bottle because I figured it was a do all; Cetane boost, lubricity, and anti gel should it ever get that cold.

My Durmax buddy was running the same(grey bottle in the summer for more cetane and white bottle in the winter for anti gel) but had a friend tell him to try Stanadyne Performance formula. He did and said his truck was quieter and his injector balance levels as monitored on his Edge were lower and more even than he had seen before.

I gave it a try and my truck is quieter and I swear I picked up at least one MPG. I've only run it in a couple of tanks so not a good long term test for milage. Would this be a good place to hook up AE and look at Perdels?

We were ready to split a case of 16 oz bottles of Stanadyne and save some money when he came across the study in the following link......

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Both diesel kleen and stanadyne rate pretty far down the list. Makes me want to keep a 5 gallon can of bio in the truck and just add some with each fill up. Of course now I'm back to adding something else for cetane and anti gel.

Anyone know where I can get Bio south of Atlanta ....................................... Jason??????

Oh yeah, the date on that study is 2007 so take that for what it's worth. Truth in posting and all

Last edited by AllaboutMPG; 10-27-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: update date
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run the motorcraft diesel additive.

I have run pretty much every easily available additive on the market includeing 2 cycle oil and the motorcraft seams to do as well if not better than all of them, and it is cheap.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:12 AM
Tact
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tugly
Next to the battery, it fits nice. I used to keep it in the cab, but it sometimes dripped and stunk up the place.
Isn't that why you named your truck Stinky?

I use Lucas, especially when my fuel gauge starts acting up. It clears that problem and I'm sure it is cleaning the injectors. I just don't use it on every refueling, maybe I ought to.

A diesel mechanic recently told me to use Marvel Mystery Oil. He stated he liked that product over Lucas.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:26 AM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Oh yeah, the date on that study is 2007 so take that for what it's worth. Truth in posting and all
Also note that the fuel used in the spicer study was raw fuel with no additives, any fuel bought at the fuel station has additives in it already.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 526 Likes on 352 Posts
Those that run the motorcraft additive - where do you go to pick it up?

Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BWST
Those that run the motorcraft additive - where do you go to pick it up?
ford dealer.

about $7 dollars a bottle

Quick Reply: What brand of injector cleaner / additive do you use?