2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shelby GT500 hood vent install and pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 11:26 PM
TwinSkrewd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shelby GT500 hood vent install and pics

Truck turned 6 years old last month. I decided to replace my fading bed caps after painting them a few times and while on Tasca's website I looked up the GT500 hood vent. $63 later and it was mine. I've wanted a custom hood or something to set the truck off for a while. I love the Shelby but owning one os out of the question right now. So here's the vent on the truck. Thoughts?

Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 PM
TwinSkrewd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's how I did it.
You will need the following:
2' Blue painters tape
jig saw with metal cutting blade
Marker/pen/pencil
tape measure
1/4 drill bit and drill
blanket/sheet/or plastic at least 4'x4'
black silicone caulk
rags
denatured or rubbing alcohol
sand paper
straight edge
Plastic automotive push pin

1.Start by cleaning the hood and covering the area of the hood where you will be working with painters tape.
2. Using the tape measure, locate the center of the hood from side to side.
3. Measure from the grill back about 10" and make a mark on your center line.
Note: I chose 10" because this is close to the measurement on the GT500 and it allows any water that comes in to fall aft of the radiator on the fan shroud and run down to the ground.
4. Now take the vent and place some tape around the center of it on the top side. Locate center side to side and mark it.
5. Now lay it on the hood upside down. Align side to side for center and of course place the front edge of the vent on your 10" mark.
6. Measure from the back of the hood to the back corners of the vent. These measurements should be the same. This will insure the vent is straight.
7. Have an assistant help hold the vent still and mash it flush against the hood.
8. Take your marker and trace out the entire vent.
9. Make reference notation marks of where the clips go as well as the center stud on the back of the vent as well as each end of the long clip on the front of the vent. Remove the vent and set it aside.
10. Grab your measuring tape and marker. On the forward center mark which should look like this + measure 1/4" back and make a mark. At the marks you made for the front long clip at each end measure back 3/8 of an inch.
11. Use a straight edge and lay it flat on the hood from the center 1/4" mark to the outer 3/8 mark and draw a line. This is the line you will cut for the front.
12. Now from the 3/8's mark set your scribe on your original parameter line (item 8) scribe a line 5/16" all the way around to the next one. This is the line you will cut for the sides and back of the vent. (Optional: Note where the stud is and drawl a half circle leaving you enough metal to run the stud through. I did not do this)

13. Raise the hood and place the blanket, sheet, or plastic over the engine bay. This will collect the metal shavings making clean up a breeze.
14. Take the 1/4" drill bit and drill and drill a pilot hole for the jig saw blade to fit through.
15. Grab the jig saw and make your cut. Be careful, go slow, and blow or vacuum the hood off repeatedly while cutting. Even though the hood is covered in tape a metal shaving between the deck and the jig saw could scratch the hood.
16. Remove the cut out and insert the vent forward end first. The back should sit down and snap on to the hood.
17. Make any needed adjustments or trimming.
18. Using the sandpaper scuff up and burrs on the hood. Remove the tape around the opening and clean area with alcohol.

19. Now that the vent fits and snaps in as it should run a small bead of caulk around the hole and insert the vent forward end first. Press down to lock in snaps on back side.
20. Using the rags and alcohol clean up the caulk that has squeezed out. This will take some time and a lot of rags.
21. Now with the hood popped but not up (level) cover the vent with a towel, and place some books, or other lite weight material evenly across the vent. Nothing heavy. Just mild even pressure. Let sit for 24 hrs.
22. After caulk has cured remove the weight and towels. Back fill any voids with caulk at any time.
23. Raise hood. You will notice the hood insulation sagging in the middle. Using a drill bit sized for the push pin you select drill a hole in the center hood ribbing and insulation. Insert push pin until insulation in snug against hood.
24. Remove the blanket/sheet/or plastic you used to collect shavings.
25. Cruise around like a boss with a badass vent knowing you had the ***** to do it yourself

Please note: This is only how I installed mine. Please check and recheck measurements before making the cuts.

Optional: I used a vibrating tool with a triangular sanding attachment to sand on the back side of the vent where it would make contact with the hood. I removed roughly a 1/16" of material to acquire a closer to flush finish.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks pretty good. Reminds me of when I did it to my 2009 Bullitt

Ty
2002 Excursion with some goodies