1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Opinions on a 1960 f100, anything I should know before I may buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Vsanzbajo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the 59-60 F100 the best. Anything I should know before I get one? Are there enough parts? Are they easy to work on? Any hard parts that nobody makes anymore? Convince me why I should or I should not get one. I owned a 72 F100 that I sold. I loved it, but I really wanted it a 1960.
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:16 AM
oldebrush
Senior User

Vsanzbajo, I have my preference, a 57, but not all that much difference from a 60, just some of the body design, I guess.

As for parts, well, not too much is on the market for the 57-60 trucks, yet. Keep a sharp eye out for people selling stuff, and places like LMC or Dennis Carpenter might help you.

If you do get one, we will need pictures of her.

Best of luck getting started.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Aloha, Tony

Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Vsanzbajo
Senior User
When to check these trucks, what to look for? Any weak spots?

Old 09-26-2013, 04:04 AM
oldebrush
Senior User

Vsanzbajo,

Depending on what you are looking for, a project, or a complete driver, where you are or will be looking, and I am sure there will be others who will add to or correct what I say, Most of the trucks I have seen purchased are projects, needing work. They may be drivable, with a little work, or may be just about a basket case waiting for a full restoration/ customization.

If you find a good looking truck, be aware that the seller/previous owners, may have done a bunch of work on it already. Some of this rebuild work may be good, and some may be not so good, as in unsafe. Body work can be good looking, but may be a nightmare under a shiny coat of color. Chassis work, suspension, steering, etc. needs to be evaluated carefully. Welds must be done well and strong, not just good looking.

If you are in doubt, ask, I am sure some members here will be more than willing to help you.

My 57 is mostly together, but it in desperate need of repair work. While I am fully capable of doing anything necessary to make my truck whole again, money is a hold back for me. There are many capable shops around the country that can handle what you may need, but do your homework. Don't get taken, as others can attest to.

Either look for, or have someone inspect for you, the chassis, for rust damage, collision damage and poor workmanship. Look for wiring that looks like spaghetti, and is in poor condition. Test body panels with a magnet, to help in locating body filler repairs, like on cab corners, door bottoms, roofs, fenders, etc. Don't worry too much about glass, other than the windshield, or large back window, as all other glass can be purchased from most competent glass shops. Even the curved front and back glass is available.

Engines and drive trains will vary, sometimes quite a bit. A 6 cyl. inline or a V-8 might be stock, but you might fine a different make of engine has been installed by a P/O. Except for a full "restoration" other engines, when installed properly can work as well. There are many versions of power, suspension, body alterations that individualize one of these trucks. You will want to make it your own, so think it through and have fun.

Now that I have completely discouraged you, or maybe not, and my intention was to help you, let us see what you are interested in. These trucks are interesting, and fun. A lot of work goes into each individual vehicle. They take on a personality not unlike their owner. Take a look through this forum. Our members have done some fantastic work, and have every right to be proud. They are also very helpful to anyone who will ask questions.

Aloha, Tony

P.S. I owned a 72 F-250 4X4 many years ago, and loved it.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^ I agree, pretty much sums it up. Check body mounts for rust as well. Best of luck and everyone here can help with any questions you may have. Dont forget the pictures!

Old 09-27-2013, 03:30 PM
egg collector
Junior User
Where to start, if you are short on money, mechanical ability, time and lots of tools, you really need to think this through. If you plan on having other people do the work, it will get expensive. It maybe cheeper to buy one completed.
I am working on a pretty good shape 1960 stepside and the more I take it apart the more I find to replace. Of course I had rather replace parts now than later.
Do not buy the first one you see until you look a lot and ask a lot of questions. Read a lot of the post here and surf the net for prices not what they are asking but what they actually sell for. And that is just a suggestion. Only you can decide. If you are like me, I do not know what I do not know.

Good luck and happy trails.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Vsanzbajo
Senior User
Yes I am looking for a completed one, all stock. How much money do you think I would likely have to spend? Any opinions on what these trucks are selling for?
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo
Yes I am looking for a completed one, all stock. How much money do you think I would likely have to spend? Any opinions on what these trucks are selling for?
Thanks in advance.

I think Mecum Infonet is a good place to see what they have sold for over past few years.

Fully restored to factory specs....30k
Nice driver....... 10k to 15k depending on options.
Fixer upper..... 2k to 5k depending on condition.

Just my opinion... I could be wrong.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Vsanzbajo
Senior User
Thank you so much for your estimates. But I can not see any of the sold prices.