Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Mirrors, adding blinker "arrow" LEDs behind mirror (modification)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:02 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Tow Mirrors, adding blinker "arrow" LEDs behind mirror (modification)

I sure wish I had taken pictures of this... but, I didn't. It went too fast.

None the less;

Here's what I bought;
33-SMD Sequential LED Arrow Lights For Side Mirror Turn Signal

There's a great video to give you an idea of how easy it is... see this vid; Side Mirror LED Turn Signal Arrow Light Installation on Vimeo

And a step by step with pictures;
How to install LED Arrow Light For Side Mirror as Turn Signal Lights

I know it's not a F-Series type mirror, but the same principals apply. I did a mistake on my first mirror... as there are some little plastic things that are what control the movement of the electric motor/mirror. They are slid into some rubber grommets. If you want to keep your sanity, DO NOT remove them from the rubber. It's best to remove the assembly off the back of the mirror. It's super hard to see, but the two posts attach to a removable black plastic. That black plastic, will pop out of the back of the mirror with a little help from a screwdriver.

Once the mirror is loose, you remove the heated mirror spade connections and set the mirror somewhere safe.

Then remove the 4 or 5 small bolts, and pop the 3 clips from the plastic front and you'll get clearance to remove the plug from the LED (signal/running). Remove the plug and set the plastic face down... again, somewhere safe.

Time to go back and install the LED arrows into the mirror. Super easy... (once you get the mirror away from the plastic backing - I used a heat gun, just as the video explains)... just peal away the heating assembly backing (very carefully) and place the LED arrow on the mirror back. Once in the right spot... TEST! If you don't route the wire away from the arrow, you'll see it when the LEDs are on. Make sure to test before final assembly. I followed this up with a heat gun to the back of the mirror to reattach the heating assembly and smooth it out some.

Once the mirror was good with the LED arrow, I took it out and soldered in the wires to my factory wiring towards the plug (at the signal/running light). Kind of a pain, to hang or hold the mirror while you connect the wiring... but, not too hard. My Excursion wiring was WHITE and BLACK for turn signal. Of course, white was 12V.

Reassemble backwards, and it's done. I mean, in total it took me an hour and a half. And that was ... with lots of interruptions.

I'll take some finished pictures, tonight and tomorrow... and post up. Thus far, I'm super happy with the MOD and how inexpensive it was (MUCH better then buying factory mirrors with blinky blinkys already installed).

Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice link to LEDS.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 PM
xplodn
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im liking this....