Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Starting after 28 months not started

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 AM
DIESEL DENNIS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Starting after 28 months not started

i need to find a way to pump oil into the bearings with an electric pump as it hs sat 28 months not started.. i will be using it daily after getting it running.. It is a 2000 f350 with a 7.3 diesel..

Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't see how you can turn the oil pump on a Powerstroke. I would get a small amount of oil into the cylinders thru the glow plug holes, crank it over with the plugs out, then replace the plugs and then start it.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Mowing Man
Elder User
This may not be the best advice, but if it were me I think I would
1. Drain oil, and possibly coolant and then replace with fresh stuff.
2. Make sure the HPOP is full of oil
3. Unplug the large electrical connected on the drivers side valve cover
( the engine will crank, but not start)
4. Go through a few 15-20 second cranking sessions to lube everything up without risking it starting with dry everything. I'd crank 15-20 seconds and then lit it sit a few minutes before doing it again
5. This will drain your batteries and these 7.3's won't start with less than 10.5V so you'll have to keep a charger going
6. You'll probably need to drain whatever fuel is in the tank, replace with fresh stuff, and don't forget to drain the fuel bowl too.
I may be missing a bunch of other stuff, but that's all I can think of for now.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Mowing Man
This may not be the best advice, but if it were me I think I would
1. Drain oil, and possibly coolant and then replace with fresh stuff.
2. Make sure the HPOP is full of oil
3. Unplug the large electrical connected on the drivers side valve cover
( the engine will crank, but not start)
4. Go through a few 15-20 second cranking sessions to lube everything up without risking it starting with dry everything. I'd crank 15-20 seconds and then lit it sit a few minutes before doing it again
5. This will drain your batteries and these 7.3's won't start with less than 10.5V so you'll have to keep a charger going
6. You'll probably need to drain whatever fuel is in the tank, replace with fresh stuff, and don't forget to drain the fuel bowl too.
I may be missing a bunch of other stuff, but that's all I can think of for now.
Exactly what I'd do. But first I'd throw the charger on there for a few hours to build up a charge.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Put batteries in it and drive it home, then change fluids.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mowing Man
Does diesel fuel go bad? I thought it could sit for a long time.

Or is this because their might have been condensation in the tank over the last 2 years and now there might be some water in the fuel? I've heard its best to store unused trucks with full tanks so that condensation does not have a chance to form.

Anways, check out this post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-start-up.html

Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
We have a 86 6.9 diesel with fuel that is around 10 years old in it as well as the oil. After about 4 years sitting I brought it home a couple years ago to clean it and check it over for its next 4-5 years of storage.

Looking at the pic date it seems its been 2 years already since I last had it out.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Mowing Man
Elder User
I guess I had been thinking that diesel had same problems as gas, but I guess I don't know enough about diesel additives. I know gas in my string trimmers, chainsaws, blowers etc., go bad after about 6 months, but no ethanol in diesel, so I guess it's fine. What about crud in the tank though? It seems like that is a somewhat common problem with fuel tanks on these trucks. I guess just draining the tank wouldn't solve the problem of clogged screens and pickup tubes in the tank though...

Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the truck still has the screens in the tank this would be a good time to do the hutch mod. Drain the fuel tank, drop the tank, do the hutch mod. Change your oil and fuel filter and you should be fine. It's a good idea to start fresh after sitting all that time, and its all regular required maintence anyway!

Old 09-07-2013, 12:33 PM
DIESEL DENNIS
New User
It has had fuel treatment in the tank and was full when parked.. I had the oil and filter changed before it was parked.. The batteries went bad, so I just let it set with the intention to start it regularly.. I now have a pair of OPTIMA red top batteries to put in it.. I was using a battery maintainer on it so it wouod start in the cold weather, but having bought it used, no age was known on the batteries.. I had hoped to find a plug on the side of the block to put a hose into to pump oil into the bearings and topdeck before cranking it.. I will just get the dirty overalls on and look under to see what is there.. It does need cleaning as it is setting outside here in se Colorado.. What about the oil lines in the valley, they are 13 years old.. should they be replacewd now??? I recently found a motorist with the oil lines leaking and he was setting on the highway out of oil.. It was an O ring on one line leaking..
Thank you for the answers..

Old 09-07-2013, 12:38 PM
DIESEL DENNIS
New User
The fuel will grow an algae if there is water in the tank... That is mean stuff growing.. I will plug the fuel filoters very, very quickly.. On a rail passenger car with a 500 gallon tank, it was necessary to cut a hole in both sides to insert steam hoses to blow it off the tank sides, top and bottom.. then we were abloe to run the diesel gwenerator for the electric power supply and the oil furnace.. Always use a treatment to prevent water in the tanks...

Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Just this summer I replaced my HPOP lines (the lines in the valley) as preventative maintenance.