1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Questions about a long term project I have in mind

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Ranger80
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Questions about a long term project I have in mind

Hey guys, I've been thinking a lot lately, which isn't one of my strong points so please bear with me. First, let me give a little background:

I'm 17, about to turn 18 in a few months. My dad bought my current truck in 2004 and I fell in love with it, I've always liked the '80-'86's as several have been in my family. When I got my permit at 16, Dad's old F100 was mine, and as any kid who just got his privilege to drive, I was rough on it, very rough, and it was already showing it's age at the time. Up until the present, it has been driven on the interstates at speeds over 100 MPH, taken down unpaved, uncharted territory, been in a couple car chases, and even been totalled twice. And to be completely honest, I'm sure I've had all four wheels flying through the air about as much as the General Lee.

Now on to the issue at hand, it's been a very good truck even through all the hell I've put it through, and is still holding up for now. However, my frame is bent and twisted, rear end is on it's way out, so is the transmission, the engine burns oil and leaks like a sieve. I've put a bit of money into rebuilding the front end and the brakes already, and figure it's time to stop throwing money at something not worth fixing. I've finally decided to settle down and be more gentle with my vehicles. The most feasible option and what common sense would suggest, it's time to scrap it and start anew. However, this is my very first vehicle and I don't want to get rid of it, so here's what I'd like to do:

I'd like to find a newer model F150 or F250, 5 speed, 4 wheel drive, with either a 302 or 351 and my intentions are to swap everything over from my current one, aside from the drive train and cab. From everything I've read so far, I'm looking between '87 and '89 ('89 is what I've heard to be the last year of a cable driven speedometer, which would definitely be easier for me as I want to use my old dash, can anybody confirm this?)

I have a fairly general idea of what all is needed for such a swap. My plan was to keep the newer cab, then swap the interiors and the rest of the body from my current truck. I know about having to swap the gas tanks due to the newer sending units not working with the older dash, as well as the other senders.

So, can anybody point me in the right direction on exactly what to look for, what years I'm looking at exactly, and problems that may arise that wouldn't be obvious? I know this is a project I'm capable of, but from being on the forum a while, I know with the help of you fine people it will make this MUCH easier. Thanks in advance for any help and pointers...

Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 AM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not swap your trucks body onto an 80-86 frame? You wont have to worry about wiring and electronics matching up, fuel injection, fabricating a mount for the front bumper etc.

I recently swapped the body from an 81 2wd F150 onto the frame of an 80-86 4x4 F250 and was able to bolt everything together in a weekend.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Ranger80
Senior User
My biggest concern there is with the transmission. I really want a 5 speed, and for the fact I hit the highway quite a bit, it is more practical. What years were they offered? Will the clutch linkages pose an issue? What about mating up to whatever 4wd the new truck might have? It really doesn't matter which 5 speed I have, as long as it can handle occasional heavy use/towing/etc. If I can get or combine that with a newer '80-'86, I'll definitely go that route instead.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM
4fords
Mountain Pass
Ranger80,
As someone who has done a axle up restoration I agree with what garthneddy posted. Unless you have a real big checkbook and a fab shop take the easy route. Find a 80-86 frame and swap stuff over. You could put a AOD trans in. Keep in mind that going from the C4 to a manual you will need a different steering column, pedal assembly, possibly different driveshafts, possibly a different trans crossmember, and who knows what else. Check out Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. You can find parts in your area. Remember this is just my opinion, its up to you what you do. Good luck.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
The frames are the same up to around 96 for the f150's. The gas tanks and some of the wiring would be the only work around if he went later than 86 correct? He could put his gas tank and wiring onto the later frame and that's it. If he's going to use the engine, they can be converted to a aftermarket intake and 4bbl carb pretty easy, and he would have to buy a distributor and ignition box and plug them in.

What is wrong with the old cab? Is it saveable? If you could save it, it's already titled in your name, and it would still be viewed as a 80, and still look like an 80 when you are done. If you swap cabs, you have all that work in the interior, plus you will have to make sure you get a title for your donor, and then it will have to be registered, you will have to pay the titling and taxes, and your title will say "1990" or something like that, but it will look like a 80-86. And it will also be worth more in the eyes of the tax man. None of this is a deal breaker, but something to think about.

You should be able to use a donor up to around 1992. I believe 93 is when they went to the electronic speedo.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 PM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The frames are in fact different. He would have to cut off the front portion of the frame and fabricate new front frame horns to mount the 80-86 style front bumper if he went with a frame newer then 87.

With the cab out of the way a 5 speed swap will take no time at all. Any Ford 5 speed will bolt up to any of the transfer cases offerred in these trucks.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Yes, I forgot to mention about the front bumper not bolting up correctly. I wish someone would retro fit the early bumper onto the later frame, and actually show what it takes to do it(if it's possible).

I also didn't mention if he did try to use the old cab, he will have to cut a hole for the hydraulic clutch, and also the later 87-up clutch pedal assembly won't fit in the early cab, he would have to get a clutch pedal assembly from a 83-86 truck. That would be two things in favor of using the later cab, it will already have the proper pedals and the clutch master in place.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Ranger80
Senior User
Well guys, it's finally dead and waiting for me to rebuild, and I know this is an old thread but since it already has most of the bio I figured I'd use it for the build.

First, let's bring everybody back up to speed. I lost oil pressure driving the truck one day, let it sit for a week, then proceeded to very carefully park it behind my garage until I had time to work on it - not the greatest idea. That old 302 locked up tight, right in the middle of the back yard. I also figured out that all my abuse took a major toll on the entire underbody. Frame's bent and twisted, not terribly, but enough to throw the geometry off. Also the extremely rough landing of the last wreck bent all four wheels and I probably did a bit of damage to the axle and front end.

In my earlier posts I mentioned wanting a 5 speed, no more. I bought a '92 with a 5.0/M5OD combo and am well pleased with it, plus I got my C4 rebuilt and put, not joking, less than 10k on it before this happened. I am thinking of making this thing a sweet street truck or sleeper or something along those lines.

Now to make this more difficult, (yes, I am a very difficult person), I need a new frame, point blank. I've also grown fond of the speed density EFI in my '92, and since the Bullnose trucks aren't plentiful around here anymore... I've found a few pretty solid RC/LB Bricknoses with 302's here lately.

The way I figure it, the bodies will swap over without much issue at all (decided to keep the entire body of my old truck, gives it a real nice sleeper status). I'm pretty good with electric work, so I'm sure I could make the newer engine harness plug into my old wiring somehow, and not make it look all butchered. Since I'd like to go with EFI, I don't have to worry about swapping fuel tanks and all that stuff, just the sending units. Since I want to reuse my C4 and put it behind an EFI 5.0, I figure a computer from a 5.0/manual truck ought to work just fine.

That's how I have it planned out in my head, and at this time the only remaining issue would be the frame horns, which I'm not worried about. If anyone sees any issue/problem in this plan, or any that could arise at a later date, PLEASE do speak up so I can be prepared. I can tweak the plan if necessary. If nobody sees anything wrong, I'll source the best donor and see how it all pans out.

As a sidenote, and I know someone will say it, an '85 or '86 with an injected 302 would be my best bet. And yes it would, but trying to get that lucky around here anymore is like waiting for hell to freeze over. However if I do get that lucky, I'm sure this will all go a lot faster and easier.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
ok, i'll start the story out this way... see that blue and white truck as my avatar?that was my first truck.

Started as a 82 F150, and the cab was rough, so i swapped a 92 cab onto it. Everything will swap, right?

Wrong.

The firewalls are completely different. i, being really stupid, tried to hack apart the firewall to make the 82 parts work. made it even worse.

Now, almost 15 years later, and about a dozen changes later, im cutting outhte hacked up firewall and welding in a correct firewall.

What i'm saying is this: if you want a 80-86 dash, then get an 80-86 cab.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Ranger80
Senior User
That's what I'm saying, I intend to use the '80 cab, actually the entire '80 body. Just need a new frame and the main obstacle I can see would be the wiring for an EFI equipped truck. I want to keep the original dash and all so if I had an '85 or '86 I could just swap the wiring. Just don't know how hard it would be if I had an '87-up donor.