Thinking of swapping a 6.7 into a 6.4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Thinking of swapping a 6.7 into a 6.4

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Fefanatic
Senior User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.

Yep, I have been searching for a 6.4 for my '08 F550 but they seem to be pricey for the miles on them. I am thinking of buying a complete crashed 6.7 and swapping it into the '08. I would have all wiring harnesses, pcm, def tank, and everything needed.

Has anyone done this and would it be feasible? What headaches will I run into?

Old 05-16-2018, 09:57 AM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anything is doable with enough money. I'd be careful due to the fact that the power difference in the two platforms is vast. You may need to examine how the motor is mounted and if additional frame reinforcement would be needed. Going from a 630ish tq engine to a 800+ is a big jump.

I'm just speculating though.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:03 AM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Don't take this the wrong way, but did you REALLY just ask this?

Old 05-16-2018, 11:17 AM
EXSwap
Senior User
EXSwap has a great reputation on FTE.EXSwap has a great reputation on FTE.EXSwap has a great reputation on FTE.EXSwap has a great reputation on FTE.EXSwap has a great reputation on FTE.EXSwap has a great reputation on FTE.
Feasible? Likely, with a ton of work. Headaches? Likely.

For me, it boils down to what it is you want. Not knowing the first thing about you, the fact that you have a 550 says you're either using your truck for work, or you like to haul heavy stuff. Having said that, the 6.7 will be light years ahead of the 6.4. The 550 chassis should handle it, but you're talking about a full drivetrain swap. So, a better option might be to go the route of a body swap (or at least look at the option). IF a body swap is feasible, then you're talking about possible frame modifications. The list goes on.

The downside to just selling or trading your current truck is that getting into a later model 550 with a 6.7 is that it's probably expensive. Having said that, the swap is expensive too. Not only do you have to purchase the complete 6.7, there are incidental costs of a swap that are inherent to the process.

The deciding factor is whether or not you can do the work, have a place to do it, can have your truck down for probably 3 months (at least), etc. People think I'm crazy for wanting to do a swap on a vehicle that's 15 years old, and truth be told, the X just isn't worth (market value) the amount of time, effort, and money I'm about to put in it. BUT, it's worth it to ME, and that's all the difference I need.

Bottom line, it's your truck, you just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Having said all that, a 6.7 swap into an older truck would be a SUPER cool project to watch! Especially if you go through the trouble of swapping in all the electronics, dash, etc. Let us know what you decide!

Old 05-16-2018, 05:46 PM
Fefanatic
Senior User
I have the shop facilities and the ability to do it. I wasn't asking so much about why I would do it as much as if anyone else has done it and would pass on some of their experience. It's obvious the 6.4 is a weak engine mechanically and I certainly don't want to build a dog if I can have a horse.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Even if you have the shop facilities to do this, the question I have is WHY (even if you weren't asking)?

What exactly is it, you are hoping to achieve, that you wouldn't be able to achieve by simply just buying a 6.7L equipped F-550, and swapping over whatever upfitted equipment is on your existing F-550 with the blown 6.4L and be thousands of dollars ahead (not to mention headaches already mentioned by other posters)? Again, my asking this is not intended to offend in any way.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:57 PM
Fefanatic
Senior User
I guess you don't understand. I have a truck with a blown motor. I am thinking of upgrading the motor. The truck is still worth around $20k if repaired. So yea, I am hoping to achieve a running truck again. I am not going to scrap the truck over a motor. I am not offended but I am also not one to just throw money away. It's going to cost around $8-10K for the 6.4 repair so if I find a crashed 6.7 with everything I need I can get a better engine for about the same dollars when done. Even in a crashed truck there will be parts to be sold off it to help offset the initial cost.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Even if you have the shop facilities to do this, the question I have is WHY (even if you weren't asking)?

What exactly is it, you are hoping to achieve, that you wouldn't be able to achieve by simply just buying a 6.7L equipped F-550, and swapping over whatever upfitted equipment is on your existing F-550 with the blown 6.4L and be thousands of dollars ahead (not to mention headaches already mentioned by other posters)? Again, my asking this is not intended to offend in any way.
I will agree on this point. By the time you were to get everything RIGHT, you will likely have a huge expense, and if this is a truck used for making money.....a lot of down time (no pay check) from the vehicle. One probably have a pretty good bean counter to go over all the pluses and minuses to evaluate the final decision.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
I guess you don't understand. I have a truck with a blown motor. I am thinking of upgrading the motor. The truck is still worth around $20k if repaired. So yea, I am hoping to achieve a running truck again. I am not going to scrap the truck over a motor. I am not offended but I am also not one to just throw money away. It's going to cost around $8-10K for the 6.4 repair so if I find a crashed 6.7 with everything I need I can get a better engine for about the same dollars when done. Even in a crashed truck there will be parts to be sold off it to help offset the initial cost.
Wouldn’t you be better off to buy a running truck and selling parts off the ‘08? Just throwing it out there for you to think about. A lot less down time.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:18 PM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
You'd be planning on a full driveline swap with the 6R140 to match with the 6.7 right? Otherwise you'd need a one of a kind flexplate to adapt the 6.7 and 5R110W, and I'm not sure how the 5R110W 6.4 TCM and 6.7 ECM could ever be coded to work together. Stand alone TCM from a Cummins conversion site maybe?

Old 05-16-2018, 08:21 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
I think it will be more convenient if you do a Cummins swap theres bolt on kits for your truck. But it sure would be cool to see a 6.7 Powerstroke in the older truck.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel View Post
You'd be planning on a full driveline swap with the 6R140 to match with the 6.7 right? Otherwise you'd need a one of a kind flexplate to adapt the 6.7 and 5R110W, and I'm not sure how the 5R110W 6.4 TCM and 6.7 ECM could ever be coded to work together. Stand alone TCM from a Cummins conversion site maybe?
Ummmm..........

A 6.7L will also need the BCM, IC, PCM, GPCM and TCM along with the 6R140 just to RUN, let alone function. The metal fabrication isn't going to be where most of the work is. It's wiring it all up to make it work is where the REAL work will be, and for WHAT? To swap out an entire newer powerplant into a vehicle that's only four to seven model years older. I fail to see the value of investing this much labor into a vehicle that isn't going to achieve any monetary value to the end product. When I say monetary value, I mean return on investment (in time, labour and MONEY).

Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
If it's going to cost $8 to $10G for a 6.4L (is that for just engine alone?), how much do really think it's going to cost for a crashed 6.7L equipped F-550? Why wouldn't you want to just sell off the parts off your blown 6.4L F-550 to recoup some of the cost of the 6.7L F-550 purchase instead, as suggested by 99150? You wouldn't be throwing money away then.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 PM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
and for WHAT?
Oh I agree it's insane. I'm the little red guy on his shoulder

Old 05-16-2018, 11:35 PM
leadmic
Elder User
leadmic is starting off with a positive reputation.
m-chan68 is right, the wiring would be a night mare. You might wind up changing every harness in the truck from headlights to tail lights as everything is tied into the bcm on the newer trucks. If you decide to go for it please keep us in the loop it should be an interesting journey. It's kinda like the old Chinese proverb my you live in interesting times. Good luck.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 AM
phillips91
phillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post
and if this is a truck used for making money.....a lot of down time (no pay check) from the vehicle.
That would be the big thing for me. When I started my trucking company I wanted to save money by doing a lot of my repairs myself. It took one small repair to realize the day i had the truck at home working on it cost me more than if I had a shop do it and still ran my load for the day. I still change the oil and do routine maintenance or stuff i can fix quickly on my trucks, but any repair goes to a shop.

I would just drop another 6.4 in the op truck and look at trading it on something like a 6.7 or just run it with the 6.4 until it craps out. Engine swaps are fun for project cars, but not for a truck that needs to be out making money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of swapping a 6.7 into a 6.4

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.