1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:16 PM
michaelscott58
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control Switch

Hello all.

Was hoping to get confirmation on a fix I intend to repair.

2000 F350 SuperDuty 7.3l Diesel 4x4

Cruise isn't working...... lights won't even come on and nothing happens at the switches.

This morning I put in a new airbag clockspring ...... just requires patience but not too hard to do.

That didn't resolve. Was going to put in new cruise switch at the brake master cyllinder.

My question is would that part prevent the cruise control from even turning on at the steering wheel controls? I don't get any light or anything when I hit "on".

I checked literally every fuse in the under dash and under hood boxes. All are good.

Is it likely it's the cruise switch?

Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I had the same issue. no lights.

replaced the switch and presto it worked.

do the cruise control self test first before you throw money at your truck.

*cruise control self test

Enter self-test diagnostics by depressing the speed control OFF switch while turning the ignition key ON, making sure the engine does not start and is not running. The speed control indicator on the instrument panel
will flash once to indicate that speed control module entered the diagnostic mode. Five additional flashes at this point indicate a defective speed control servo. Release the OFF switch.
Press the remaining switches in this sequence: ON, RESUME, COAST and SET/ACCEL.
If the ON switch is not depressed within five seconds after entering the diagnostics mode, the module times out and the procedure must be started over.
The speed control indicator lamp will flash as each switch is depressed. Press each switch in the sequence immediately after the indicator light goes out for the previous switch.
NOTE: There will be a slight delay when the last button is pressed and the lamp flashes.

A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the static test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
2 flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
3 flashes - deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
4 flashes - vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective
Immediately (.25 second delay) after the static test, the speed control servo does a dynamic test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the dynamic throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns to the idle position.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:57 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
My question is would that part prevent the cruise control from even turning on at the steering wheel controls?
Yes. Power to the cruise module must go through that switch.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:43 PM
michaelscott58
New User
Will give those a go and update tomorrow

Well, the switch was only $22 and I had $20 reward credit at Autozone so what the heck.... went and bought the switch.... only cost me couple bucks.

Will work on them tomorrow and post back and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the diagnostic routine...... that seems like it will be extremely handy in the future....

and for the confirmation that the switch would keep the entire system from working right.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM
michaelscott58
New User
No Cruise Control Lights .... still :(

Hi all.

Here is where I am at.... was hoping someone might have some ideas:

No cruise control light still. Installed new airbag clockspring..... still same problem..... no cruise control light on dashboard seemingly ruling out clockspring I would think?

Thanks to some of the nice folks on here, was able to get the diagnostic procedure so I tried to put into diagnostic mode..... no good. When I hold the off switch and turn the key to the on position I get no cruise control lights.

Tried connecting the new cruise control switch at the brake master cylinder and it didn't do anything either.

Is it possible the actual buttons on the steering wheel are bad? I found new motocraft button assembly on Amazon for $58 and have ordered it (but can still cancel if that is not likely a problem). When I bought the truck a few weeks ago, it was CAKED in dirt and I mean caked everywhere. I am thinking that might be a problem? Otherwise I am at a loss.

I will take any ideas you guys might have at this point
And THANK YOU.

Last edited by michaelscott58; 08-04-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
Go back under the hood and bypass the extra harness installed at the recall. Hook it directly to the new switch and re-test.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:17 PM
michaelscott58
New User
New Switch

Hi and thank you. Took out the old pigtail, bypassed it and went right to the harness.... no luck....

then put the new pigtail in to the new switch and still no luck....

It really is acting like the off/on switch isn't working because when I hold the off switch to try and get to diagnostic mode I get no cruise light at all, but I already replaced the clockspring, switch, pigtail from switch to harness. Doesn't seem like much left but the on/off switch it seems to me?

Sort of lost at the moment.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM
michaelscott58
New User
Cruise still not working, help!!

Hi all.

So here is where I am at:

1. Replaced cruise control switch & the pigtail, (even took the pigtail out and went to the original harness) and attempt to put into diagnostic mode - no go, cruise light didn't activate when holding the off button and turning key to on.

2. Replaced Steering wheel switches (motocraft SW6010 was the right one I found out, not the SW5922 and at Amazon is only $58 in case anyone is looking for them). Didn't have an affect. Tried diagnostic mode again and no go, cruise light on dash still doesn't come on.

3. Replaced clock spring in steering wheel. Same as above. No change in the situation.

4. Checked fuses and can't find one that is out.

I will listen to any ideas you guys have at this point. Would really like to get this fixed

Thank you guys for all your help.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 AM
ImaThorp
Junior User
Isnt there a fuse in the pigtail at the brake switch. Did you check that? take a meter and probe for power on both sides of the fuse holder after you check the fuse.