Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trying to evaluate code-scanners & similar tools out there

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Dave R.
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to evaluate code-scanners & similar tools out there

OK..so I've got a problem with my 2001 7.3L PSD (won't start) and although I recognized some time back that a scanner is an indispensable 'must have', I still hadn't gotten around to acquiring one.

- so it would seem there's little choice for me now.

I've read a little (not exhaustively) and see that the AE Scantool, Infinity, and perhaps Edge products as tools that are mentioned regularly on the boards here. Of course I'd love to have the latest&greatest...but I'm semi-retired on a fixed income, so dropping close to a thousand bucks for a code-reader product just to assist me in finding out what's wrong with my ride... is a somewhat uncomfortable proposition.

So I'm wondering if anyone has posted (say over the last couple yrs) any kind of reviews or better yet 'Comparison' type discussions (FTE-threads?) which go quite a bit deeper into detail talking about the range of features, perhaps user-friendliness, or simply the relative strengths & weaknesses of the more popular scanner tools out there.

-- Mostly what I've seen so far is "I love it.." or "..works fine for my needs.." type of comments, or the typical promotional marketing bling you'd normally expect (which is all fine too but..not quite what I'm after). I'm interested in discovering whatever's out there in the way of rather more in-depth discussions from actual owners/users who might have experience with more than just one tool.

I'm assuming of course that such discussions have already been done (somewhere? ...maybe off-site too?) -- So if anyone can point me in that direction - I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
dave

Old 07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I wrote something somewhere. I have to leave the computer right now, but a search may yield what you're looking for.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Ah-hah..... [LINK]

Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Dave R.
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much Tugly!

Wow! -- I can see you're already way deeper into these things than I'll likely ever be!!

I saw your link to AE school in your sig and couldn't help myself - so I dove right in. I think I've gotten through about 18 or 19 pages now. I'm very grateful for the time & energy you've obviously put into it just for everyone else's benefit. Of course it would help greatly and be more tangible (to me) if I had an AE Scantool to follow along with the lesson plan.

And that last link you provided is actually what kinda' prompted me to post my inquiry in the first place. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention though the first time I came across it. So thanks also for steering me back to it again! And what's this?... do I see that you're gonna' maybe get an Infinity and do an Infinity class soon too? -- again Wow! ~ And I also see where I can send some greenbacks for my enrollment tuition

I'm facing a no-start situation with my Shuttle Bus at the moment, and although not a wrench virgin by any means.. I am nevertheless a diesel greenhorn despite all the white whiskers on my chin.

Not sure I made a very good choice with my first diesel, this one being a 2001 7.3L. stuffed under the hood (if I might call it that?) of an E350 sardine can. -- Not for the faint of heart as I'm sure everyone knows... but what the hell, I didn't git dressed up for nothing Jim

The day turned much brighter for me yesterday however... I received an unexpected PM from a kindly fellow here on FTE (NicMike) offering to help me out with a code-scanner he has. He's in my general area here in Central Texas, and from what I can tell looks to be not only a true gentleman but also a helluva lot more knowledgeable than I am. So perhaps with some tips & advice locally..I might just get lucky this time around without too much sunburn, cursing, or busted knuckles

Cheers!
dave

Last edited by Dave R.; 07-10-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling airoars ~ az yooszhual ;)